Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 143: This One's Fr4e

I really dislike games that do this. Turned me off to Far Cry, it turned me off on the modern Wolfenstein games. I know that's their whole schtick, but I still don't want to deal with femme nazi wizard dominatrixes. It bothered me a bit about the latest Tomb Raider too, although that was way more telegraphed mysticism right from the start.

Oh, it's interesting that you take it that way, because that's not actually what I meant - I'm referring to enemies that are terrible bullet sponges, and I wasn't considering the supernatural aspect at all. Though they do often go hand in hand. One game that comes to mind that becomes a slog toward the end but not because of supernatural elements is Mirror's Edge. All those SWAT guys... ugh.

Also, this is apropos of nothing, but I was the person who sent the tweet about hands touching things in Thief. I am super stoked to cut a painting out of its frame and then run my hands around the frame to find a hidden switch.

It doesn't matter if Mirror's Edge enemies are bullet sponges because you shouldn't be using guns anyway!

To answer the question on where most of the animation came from for Banner Saga, as far as I know the intial stages were completed by a few guys, but the bulk work was done by Powerhouse, an animation studio in Austin who is also responsible for the cutscenes in the Epic Mickey games among a decade's worth of work.

Went down to KO's to check out the meat pie scene.  They are damned good, and anyone in the boston area should probably get in on that action.  Ashamed I never knew about it until this episode a few weeks ago.