melmer

InFAMOUS Vanaman

I'm digging this game.  As miffy said, it's not very different from Infamous 2 overall, but it is tighter and more fluid and all sorts of fancy.  They really spent a lot of time working on the combat and giving you more to do than just shooting guys a bunch.  It works great.

The pacing of the game feels off, if I want to be picky.  You go from linear mission to linear mission and while there are side quests they are more often in the form of collectibles in an area than some new mission you get that's unique.  I wish there was more random superhero type stuff to do.  I did a mission where I busted up some drug users and destroyed their product and that was more interesting to me than fighting off people who think Delsin is a bio terrorist.

Also, I hate the name Delsin.  I keep saying Deslin when I talk about the game and it's driving me crazy.  Why do you have to have a weird name, guy!

Glad the game turned out well!  I didn't have high expectations, since the first two really weren't trying to be anything that innovative or thought-provoking.  I'll most likely pick this up after I finish off Black Flag.  I don't like having two open-world games running at the same time...

How does the city feel?  Does it satisfy a bit of virtual tourism or does it feel more like a more standard open-world video game city?

I thought the first one was fairly innovative for its time. Everyone was going crazy about that and Prototype having the God of War gameplay with an open world and traversal mechanics right?

Crackdown came out two years prior, so I think Infamous was partly Sony chasing Microsoft's popular exclusive.  Even with that, this style of game feels more iterative than innovative.  You can look at it from a certain angle and see that the super-power open-world games just tacked on an element of vertical traversal to the GTA style.

I hated inFamous 1, because it gives me headaches, terrible camera, tearing and framerate (yep, it's the only game to give me headaches because of these siily things). 

I loved inFamous 2, though. Great game, I loved the story, it's so simple and juvenile but I never felt the need that it needed to be something else. It felt like a saturday morning cartoon, those ones you start watching because there's nothing else to do and end up enjoying it more than expected.

It seems that I'll probably love this third one, right? I still have to buy a PS4 though.

I'll definitely be playing this in 2017-2019.

Me too!

Price drop + newer, better, smaller model + huge library. Oh also because I don't have a TV.

100% completed my "good" playthrough about half an hour ago. Thanks, spring break! Really enjoyed this game. Small stuff: Wish there was a way to swap power sets without going off to drain something that will give you that power (by the end of the game, I had smoke, neon, TV, and concrete powers, but the only way to switch between them was to go find a source for that power and drain it in order to overwrite was I was using before). Once I had neon, which slows down time while you're aiming, I didn't really ever want to use anything else, so not having a neon source handy was a pain, especially with how clumsy and weak smoke feels in relation to the other powers. Not as strong as TV or concrete, not as fast and precise as neon. The neon and TV traversal powers really step up the game as well, so when I was stuck with smoke and had to get somewhere it felt like a huge step back. Basically, the power that they did all the marketing about and start you with is by far the worst part of the game, but you get three more so it's still pretty great overall.

I've just played this for about 5-6 hours. I'm at 30% completion and have 100%ed the first island. Still only have one power :/, it's gearing up to giving me my second but I feel like they could've handed it over earlier. Perhaps that's my fault for doing all the side mission (which FYI are all super tedious)

I kinda wish the game was more linear and story driven as the first hour was really good until you hit the open world stuff and the narrative drops off a cliff

I've just played this for about 5-6 hours. I'm at 30% completion and have 100%ed the first island. Still only have one power :/, it's gearing up to giving me my second but I feel like they could've handed it over earlier. Perhaps that's my fault for doing all the side mission (which FYI are all super tedious)

I kinda wish the game was more linear and story driven as the first hour was really good until you hit the open world stuff and the narrative drops off a cliff

Agreed! Sometimes I wish open world games would have a "continue story" prompt at the end of every "main story" mission when you just feel like chomping through the narrative.  Something about finishing a mission, then having to move your character to the next main story node kills momentum for me.

So I watched my friend play this today and it's gorgeous. One thing I noticed though was that the lip syncing was way off. He was playing in German though, is it something that anyone else has noticed with it in English?

No it's fine in English, or I haven't noticed that it's off.

The game really is pretty, when I started it up today I just walked around slowly soaking it all in because as soon as i started 'playing' that all goes out the window. I start zipping around at a hundred miles an hour and it all becomes a literal neon blur, the gameplay is so frantic I can't play and appreciate how nice it looks at the same time, I need to force myself to stop every once and a while and take a look around.

The morality system is so pointless. In three games they've made 0 advancements which is a disappointment and actually quite surprising, why keep regurgitating the same shit?

Wow this game is kinda repetitive and boring.... i remember now why i quit both the first and second games.

I was also expecting a more adult/serious tone. But it has just gone full video game with a mysterious person giving me missions via phone calls WHO COULD IT BEEEEEEEEEEE

Nope, tried a bit of SR3 and didn't like it. Soz dog

I finished this by the way. Meh

Although there was a moment that gave me proper feels. I'll write it up tomorrow if I remember

I'm playing SR 4 at the moment just to chill out, and it really scratches my super power open world itch. It's better than the infamous games I've played, but yeah...it's still a Saints Row game. If you didn't like 3 you probably won't like 4.

Shame, I picked up 3 on a whim and have been an evangelist about it ever since. Finally get around to 4 and I feel the same way. It's a different style now, and I feel it both out-infamouses infamous in the way 3 out-GTAed GTA.

If you like the infamous games and SR4 is on a steam sale, it's probably worth picking it up. The way you level up your powers is very similar to Gravity Rush on the vita, forcing you to explore and use your traversal powers. Great way to do it in my opinion. 

I'm interested to find see what you thought of it (in more detail than "meh" ). Infamous was making me consider a PS4. 

It's a polarising game. Don't understand why people hate it though. I want to say it's because some people don't "get" it, but it's not exactly difficult to get, so it's probably unfair to say that. It's just a giant, fun joke. Different strokes eh?

More detail... oh boy. here goes

Lets get one thing out of the way, the game is utterly utterly gorgeous. Super tight controls, it's fun and intuitive to move around the world. The action gameplay is fun

Story wise, the acting and mo-cap in the cutscenes are fantastic. They establish a proper evil bitch of a baddy, really menacing, i actually cared that she was my adversary which gave meaning to my time with the game as i worked towards confronting her. Even more so, the dynamic between the protagonist and his brother was excellent, even though the story was goofy as fuck at times, the graphics (facial expressions, mo cap etc) and voice talent really drew me in.

I was expecting a more serious tone after that E3 briefing. But, you actually play as a douche bag teenager which i didn't really appreciate and took a while to warm up to.

The open world is fun for a few hours but gets tedious super quickly. Constantly repeating the same bullshit side missions over and over again... by that i mean murdering drug dealers for good karma.

The Karma system is ridiculous, i can't believe anyone actually makes a choice depending on how they feel when confronted with one of the stories morality choices, you just pick good every time or it fucks with how you levels up. You are shackled to your 'good karma', which puts restrictions on having fun with the game.

And worst of all, after playing an entirely 'good karma' playthrough, it doesn't even allow you to make the final moral decision. The final mission/end boss is presented to you as two missions which are locked to whether you are good or bad. 'Good karma' exposes the end boss to the public as a big meany. 'Bad Karma' murder the bitch. Now even though i had played nice for the whole game i really wanted to murder her, but it wouldn't let me (lets not forget i have murder about 1000 drug dealers leading up to this point)

I wish the game was more serious and grounded. We've got the silly outlandish version of a superhero game with saints row. Whereas this is in some weird middle ground

oh, and the feels. (end game spoilers)

The evil bitch kills your fucking brother! Came as a bit of a surprise. Some well acted final words hits you right in the feels. Then the game throws you almost instantly in to a boss battle with her where i, enraged, mad with grief, just ran directly at her launching everything in my arsenal like a wild dog.

I've never done that before. I'm not sure if i was just role playing the character, but i really wanted to take her down with no thought or consideration to me own well being. I mean, who many millions of things have we murdered in video games and how many have you actually had a vendetta against. In that brief moment i was super impressed, i don't think a game has every really made me feel that way before. oh and the game fucks this all up by not being clear whether or not you actually kill her, then later makes you travel across the whole city for ANOTHER final show down. stupid

oh and the 'game' is a bit of a cluster fuck. You spend too much time with the only the first power so it starts to get a bit stale. Then they give you the neon power which makes traversal a breeze BUT renders all over powers an absolute chore to use. Oh and they give you the final 4th power during the end boss fight :huh:. The 3rd power doesn't make much sense, and you get forced to use it a lot towards the end which is kinda annoying

Played it at EGX Rezzed and thought it was dull as ditchwater. Looked really nice but my word was I bored before the demo was over.

At the time I think I called it 'tepid'.

Consider this a vote for Saints Row IV, which is a way more fun traversal game than either of the Infamouses.

I haven't played this yet but it's so weird to hear how the karma system hasn't evolved at all from the first game. It was terrible then and it sounds like it's terrible now. In Infamous 1 (1nfamous!?) I remember a choice that was something like "do you want to feed the innocent people or MURDER THEM!?!?!" Come on guys...you can do better than that. And it was the same problem then of it not being feasible to alternate good and bad choices, as the game drove you to min/max one or the other to get all the unlocks on that skill tree. Two games later and they haven't changed it at all...weird.

Mington, would you ultimately say you'd recommend the game? Sounds like a pretty mixed bag.

uuuuuumm i don't know really. i can't really wholeheartedly recommend it. Its a mild improvement over the last instalment so if you liked that.... you'd probably be pleasantly surprised if you go in with low expectations and still get bored around the 30% completion mark, but its doesn't overly outstay its welcome. Here's your box quote:

Its not a considerably long game :tup:

I didn't think there was dlc yet.  First Light doesn't come out until August.

I got all the trophies in this game over the weekend and that's the first time I've ever bothered to get all of those things for a game before.  It's a good solid game, but the complaints against it aren't really untrue either.

The sad thing is that it's a superhero game with open level design, but it's not really much of an open world game.  There's nothing to "do" in the world.  You can't play around with it like it's a toy.  Kind of how I felt about AC games.  In GTA you can fool around and do whatever but in AC and Infamous games you do your missions and nothing else really.  Scouring the city for collectibles is a fun thing to do if you're into that but it doesn't really justify a giant open world city.