melmer

InFAMOUS Vanaman

I've barely played inFamous 2... the gameplay is just soo tedious

I own the first game but still haven't played it. After watching that trailer though I kind of want to see what this series is all about. Looks fun.

That is in fact incredibly pretty.  I played the first one.  It was a fun super hero sandbox, but the artificial good/evil choices bugged the shit out of me.  And the tweest at the end was so far out of left field that I ultimately ended up not caring about the story.  If it had been foreshadowed at all, it might not have felt so weird. 

I find it a fun series if you don't get bogged down in collectathon stuff. The mechanics wear thin after covering every square foot of the game world looking for shards. Still haven't beaten Infamous 2, should do so before I buy a PS4/this game.

You're right. I have never bothered to finish either Infamous 1 or 2, a combination of having zero interest in the (uninteresting) story and super monotonous game play.

BUT LOOK AT DEM GRAPHEX

It seems as though they're taking the story a bit more seriously this time round, less cliché "comic book". Maybe that'll be enough to pull me through

Regrettable the game play doesn't look too dissimilar from from the previous game's :/ but what else can they do? Maybe add in some eavesdropping missions

Still haven't beaten Infamous 2, should do so before I buy a PS4/this game.

i wouldn't bother, you'd probably just burn yourself out before hitting this game

From the footage I've seen I haven't seen any of the bullshit floaty climbing buildings, press x add infinite. That was the crap which took up literally half of my play time in the previous games.

Here it seems that they've bypassed it by having you running up walls, going through steam events and just having generally more mover-ability in the air. A super hero game doesn't need to get bogged down with scaling buildings :tup:

That thread title actually made me think "Naaaw" :P

Looks shiny, but not enough to actually convince me to get the new schmancy fancy playmachine. Have to say I've been longing for a new Crackdown though, flying from rooftop to rooftop was so much fun :P

Yeah! Infamous 2 was a snoozefest for me because the sound design in the city was terrible.  Clambering around the city I was accompanied by the sound of crickets.  It felt very weird.  Could only make it through about an hour or so before i gave up (also due to gameplay feeling too similar to the first installment).

I just got a PS4 because my PS3 just gave me the yellow light of death. Even though I have zero games to play on it, this is on my wait and see list... Curious to watch people play this on the streaming channel when it comes out.  The Infamous formula felt like it buckled under the weight of one 30 hour experience, so I hope they've done a lot in making it fresh again.

I personally really liked Infamous 2, outside of the tedious shard hunting, but 1 was the pits.

I'm not sure I'm looking forward to this new one since the character switch and all, but it doesn't matter because I probably won't own a PS4 for years and years.

Yah, same here. A few hours maybe clocked. But I bought it quite a while after it came out for like $10, and my brother beat it and enjoyed the whole thing.

I'll probably do the same with this after I buy a PS4 to play The Last Guardian and Uncharted 4. I mean it certainly looks pretty, but for Superhero games Saints Row 4 is just kinda more fun. I want to be a SUPERhero. Not Assassin's Creed dude with awkward controls and some weird what would just be guns in another game.

I got every shard in inFamous 1, 2, and that Blood thing that they did for Halloween DLC. This game will make me buy a PS4. I can't wait.

I completely forgot about Festival of Blood. Man that was great! They completely fixed the tediousness of finding the collectables on that too. Hope it carries over to the new one.

So I got a PS4 and this today. Because fuck it, I love this series. There's a fair bit of "meh" towards Infamous 1 on the forum, but it was one of my favourite games of 2009. As a first PS4 experience, this thing is rad as hell. It feels really good. Not drastically different from 2, but a bit tighter. Lighting and animation are great. Using steam vents to get around is super fun (don't have that blur running thing in that top gif yet. About 30% of the way through the game), and being able to zap yourself forward mid-air and then glide gives me the same feeling that the air dash in SR4 did, so that's good. I'm kind of struck by how much this game both looks amazing for something that's running on my TV and not that different from something that I'd be playing on my PC, but whatever. I'm just happy to have more inFamous, and my new shiny system to play with. Looking forward to lots of good times with this sleek little black box, and inFamous 3 is a great way to start out.

I bought a PS3 for the original INfamous. I've completed both multiple times. Absolutely love them. The way you can move around a cityscape so fluidly brings me in and makes me want to play for hours with just exploring.

Yeah, the Good/Evil stuff is lame, but it's not really core to the game in my opinion. 

Not going to get this for a long time. Not only do I need a TV, but the ps4 needs a price drop and a fantastic library for me to jump in. I do envy people playing it, but I'll be patient.   

The PS3 inFamous games are the most 7/10 games imaginable. They're eminently playable and you don't mind that the sun is shining outside and you're indoors climbing up sticky drainpipes but there is just absolutely nothing extraordinary about them. When I saw screenshots of Vanaman and the on-screen objective was "power up the node", I couldn't believe they were getting more mileage out of exactly the same mission structures.

Which means I will gladly play it when it's on PS+.

Well, I'm now at 50% completion for the game (all collectibles on first island gone, just opened up second map). I also just got the neon powers, which are the crazy running things you can see in the image in the OP. The "power up the node" stuff is really quick and just kind of paying service to heritage at this point. When you get a new power set, they give you a single mission in which you run around for like 10 minutes finding a bunch of nodes that give you all the powers at once. Upgrading them is what makes the real difference. There are also a lot fewer things to run around and collect this time around, which means less of the tedious bits and more good parts to the game. Also, getting the neon powers is the part where you go "oh shit, this really does look fantastic", so if you're unimpressed with the graphic stuff early on it does get better.

Still really having a lot of fun with this game. Is good stuff.

Glad the game turned out well!  I didn't have high expectations, since the first two really weren't trying to be anything that innovative or thought-provoking.  I'll most likely pick this up after I finish off Black Flag.  I don't like having two open-world games running at the same time...

How does the city feel?  Does it satisfy a bit of virtual tourism or does it feel more like a more standard open-world video game city?

I find the city very nice to look at, but it doesn't feel alive at all. People just kinda mill around with no illusion of purpose, and they don't react much to things.

The soundscape is also seriously lacking. If you're not being shot at or standing near the monorail, the world is jarringly silent.

All the crazy stuff going on would seem so much crazier if it was unfolding in a more 'real' world.

That's weird about the silent city!  Infamous 2 suffered from a weird quietness.  I figured it was a mistake, but I guess it's more of a stylistic choice now that they've done it twice.