Sign in to follow this  
kaputt

Relaxing games recommendations

I've been playing Animal Crossing for the last weeks, and it's being quite good. I love how relaxing the game is - it's basically a life simulator, you have debt and have to do a routine of things every day, but often you have some surprises and unusual events. I like how it's just easy to go there and do your tasks without any urgency or sense of failure. I also like how things progress over time. 

So, with that said, i'm wondering if there are any other games like it in that aspect (specially PC games). I usually leave my 3DS at my girlfriend's house, so it would be nice to have a similar game in that aspect to play on my PC.

The first game that comes to mind is Protheus, but it isn't what I'm actually looking, because it's not a game that you feel like playing every day just to have a good time. I'd like a game with more progression, that stimulates you to go there every once in a while and play it to be successful.

Another game that came to mind was Don't Starve, but it seems more of a challenging game, and that's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Anyway, do you guys have any recommendations?

I'm sure nobody would be surprised to hear me say this but Minecraft seems like it might fit the bill.

Also, maybe Cart Life?

Don't Starve lets you set a bunch of world parameters to customize how difficult you want it.  Default can be very challenging and stressful for a long time as you learn.  But if you back off some of the hazards and increase food, it can become a rather nice little survival/camping sim. 

Both are on the shorter side, but I found Little Inferno and The Maw to be rather relaxing games.  Not a lot of difficulty, and really charming.   But neither have that sim quality to them. 

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/7825-relaxing-strategy-game-suggestions/

That thread is kinda old but has a few suggestions for nice slow paced things you could try your hand at.

You could take a shot at Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis is your feeling brave because once you Grok the UI they are great sprawling canvas of alternate history, you can explore at your own pace. Take a look at the Thumbs stream of CK2 if you want a taste.

Football Manager 2014 would probably be my actual suggestion though, provided you prepared to take a deep dive into what can be a incredibly complex sim (& especially if you have any affinity for football) it's a superb way to relax and slowly build something.

Thanks for all the recommendarions!

Of all the titiles, the one who really hot my attention was Cart Life, it seems really unique and maybe more similar to what I've been looking for. It's a pity that a lot of people says the game has dozens of bugs, I'll download the free version and it how it runs on my PC.

Don't starve is also on my list now, didn't know it was possibly to set the difficulty. The game does have some mechanics that I find appealing and I can see myself using to relax after a day of work and study, I was only worried by the difficulty.

Minecraft for sure is an obvious choice, but I've tried it before and couldn't have fun with it. It's too open, I like some objectives. Little Inferno was another nice suggestion, but I already played it on my iPad, loved it BTW.

But a surprise was Endless Ocean. I googled it and it seems quite unique and maybe something that fits my needs. I can see myself doing one contract of the game each day, and having an easy time while exploring the ocean. It's just a pity that don't own a Wii. But I actually might buy one, maybe a Wii U even - it has backwards compatibility, right? I missed so much games that were exclusive to Nintendo, sometimes I feel inclined to buy a Wii U mostly to play these old games.

I find Cart Life the opposite of relaxing.

If you like Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon scratches a lot of the same itches. My favorite versions are "A Wonderful Life" on Gamecube and "Friends of Mineral Town" on GBA, but the 3DS ones are decent too. And Rune Factory is like Harvest Moon but with monsters.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is pretty relaxing, but not really for the reasons you cited. I just enjoy tuning in to Hot Mix Radio and cruising around mini-Europe. Also, Kerbal Space Program (once you know how to get off Kerbin reliably).

Bit.Trip Runner 2. 

Not really relaxing per se but it puts me into a nice sort of flow state of mind. 

I find Starbound extremely relaxing although y'know, early access -people have their concerns.

Let me second the two Endless Ocean games, those are great.

Also, the Wii U is fully backwards compatible with the Wii, and there's definitely enough Wii games worth checking out, if not necessarily a lot. Still, the standout games on the Wii are really, truly excellent.

I used to play Midtown Madness to relax and pass the time when I was anxiously waiting for the results of my high school exams. It's like GTA without all the stressy bits, just cruisin' around Chicago. Probably incredibly outdated and stiff at this point though!

Godus.

It's relaxing. It's creative. And best of all, it tells its players to create their own community, and just live in it. It's like civ minus the constant threat of erratic cultures and barbarians.

This is kinda different from Animal Crossing but what I do to relax and clear my mind is to play surf maps in Source games (mostly TF2 and CS:GO). 

You just have to play maps that are easy enough so that it doesn't get frustrating. Whilst surfing might not be completely intuitive unless you are familiar with things such as bhopping or strafejumping you should be able to pick it up within 5 to 30 min and if it doesn't click with you instantly take a break and come back after a couple of days and you might have magically become a decent surfer, (that's what happened to me atleast).

A good map to start on would be surf_utopia, the map is both easy, challenging and fun for a beginner.

Here is are links for you those of you who have never heard of surfing 

and

http://teamfortress.com/wiki/Surfing

Anyways surfing can be meditative and very satisfying, plus you can listen to podcasts while doing it!

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is pretty relaxing, but not really for the reasons you cited. I just enjoy tuning in to Hot Mix Radio and cruising around mini-Europe. 

I'll second Euro Truck Simulator. I picked it up on a Steam sale just for the hell of it, and it turned out to be one of my favorite relaxing games. Since you drive assigned routes, there are objectives and time limits, but nothing too unbearable. Plus, the game incorporates some sense of progression since you can work up to owning multiple trucks and managing a larger business with the money you earn from doing jobs. What I like about that is that there are goals, but nothing is pushing you to do them in any kind of timely fashion. It lets you go at your own pace, which is what I want out of a game like this. Good for listing to podcasts and audiobooks/10

Anything by That Game Company

These games.

Also Tearaway if you have access to a Vita. It's both relaxing and joyful.

This may be an odd suggestion, but Borderlands (1/2) are pretty relaxing for me. Just shoot 'n' loot.

Civ 5 is pretty relaxing. It's the kind of game you can play with the TV or radio on without paying too much attention to the game.

Another strategy game I find great before bed (if you can ignore the 1-more-turn feel) is Long Live The Queen. Rock, Paper, Shotgun did a great Wot I Think on it. Maybe read it before trying it. It's enjoyable as long as you can get past the kitsch anime art style. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/10/long-live-the-queen-review/

Flotilla can be relaxing, although it can also be frustrating. The music is fantastic, and I find it an easy going experience as long as I don't take it too seriously with the progression.

Possibly Limbo too. Although I didn't enjoy the game as much as others.

I might get roundly mocked for saying this, but I find Peggle relaxing.

I'll third the Endless Ocean and Euro Truck suggestions. There's also the Aquanaut's Holiday series you might like if you have some older systems.

The Sims could fit the bill as well.

Not a game, but you can use the f.lux program to alter the color balance on your computer display, making it warmer and eliminating the blue tones that tell your brain to stay alert because it's still daytime.

Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off all enemies in Oblivion or Skyrim?  I love wandering around those worlds but I hate dealing with the bullshit.  If I could also turn off the UI also, that would be perfect.