Sign in to follow this  
pabosher

Video Game / Anthropology Dissertation

Hey guys!!

Some of you likely know that I'm in my final year of University, and as such I have to research and write things. As someone who's played games his entire life, I spent a while trying to figure out how to write a dissertation that was Anthropological in nature (my actual degree) but still incorporated video games. If you'd like to see the result, and would like to be a part, please help me out and fill out this super quick preliminary form at http://www.tinyurl.com/gamesanth - And, quite importantly, pass it on to friends and colleagues! The more responses I can get, the better the end result will be. :)

I'm a bit sad about the offline games question because I want an option that lets me like both first options equally. I bet SpeedyDesiato would have let me choose that.

I like that i'm 11% complete even before filling in my email address. Makes me feel like i'm progressing quickly.

Here's a list of similar video games:

Gears of War, Call of Duty, Gone Home

Finished the survey, btw!

I'm a bit sad about the offline games question because I want an option that lets me like both first options equally. I bet SpeedyDesiato would have let me choose that.

SpeedyDesiato is dead.*

Ahahaha. It's a nice quick survey! The next (and final) one will be based on the results of this. :)

Rodi - heh. Yeah, I know, it's something a lot of people are bringing up. Two reasons I did it: one, they're instantly recognisable names and I'd categorise them as focusing more on narrative than emergent systems, and two: it tickles me to have gears and gone home in the same category.

Thanks for filling it in though guys, pass it on on twitter, Facebook, email!! :)

*I killed him.

Well I don't like to think it's bad survey design per se. :( but as it says at the beginning of the survey, this is just a preliminary survey to the bigger more-in depth coming later. You'll have a chance to be more nuanced then. :)

Ps: my professor hasn't spoken to me in a term. When I told him my dissertation idea, he told me how his idea of 'games' is to play with his vegetable farm. Not even FarmVille. Just a regular old farm.

Forcing people to choose an option that does not reflect their actual views on the topic is definitely bad survey design! Multiple choice survey questions should cover all the options, either by including an "Other" option or by being all-encompassing.

That relationship bodes well....

Is it on edge because you tried to get him to choose between two items in a survey?