Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 142: Unmasking the Brain Burglar

With regard to getting started in game development: After getting over coding hurdle and accepting that I'll never be able to to anything above programmers art, I (as a hobbyist) have found the most challenging aspect of game development to actually finish a game and get it out for people to play.

To anyone else with this problem, I can thoroughly recommend participating in a game jam. I participated in the second-to-last Ludum Dare and it was great. Not only was it a lot of fun, but I also finally finished a game.

Also: First post, thanks for the great show, guys.

Did Chris mention what his twitch channel is that he's moving to? I didn't catch it...

P.S. Good talk about the Great Game!

Hmmm, if cost of living kind of causes some problems for Campo Santo, might I suggest moving to Austin, Texas?

I only say this for selfish motives so that I can possibly work for you guys. I'll work super cheap, even if it's just to fetch coffee and bananas (fuck Doritos).

Processing is a great suggestion! That's what personally worked for me to get into amateur game-making. I came into it from a visual arts perspective, but after a few weeks it suddenly hit me that I had learned to make games by proxy.

I've mentioned it on these forums before, and I don't want to sound like a shill, but this book is fantastic and will get you through the basics and onto more advanced stuff in a really clear and friendly way even if you've never programmed before. (I hadn't)