melmer

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Ugh that's the last straw. I'm gonna buy this game on Monday when I have internet. (Hopefully.)

Ugh ugh ugh.

Hmm, I put a bunch of time into this (8 hours) and it's starting to feel a bit samey. I've pretty much emptied out my entire Nemesis display now that I finally managed to get Orkinson the Whiney to stay dead. I'm not saying I don't die, but I'm certainly killing 3-4 Uruks per life, meaning that it's just not keeping up with me. I get the feeling I'm about to hit a story hump, so hopefully it gets more challenging after that.

Edit: I should mention that "The Whiney" was his real title even if I can't remember what his first name was.

Out of curiosity, are you still on the first map? If so, I'd encourage you to do the story missions so you can unlock the rest of the systems. They do a surprisingly good job of weaving the open world into the story, but it throws an AC veteran like me off that progressing the story actually increases fun quotient rather than just pushing the game toward its conclusion.

The Nemesis dynamic of the second map is surprisingly different than the first due to the brand mechanic showing up.

I have done 10 of the story missions, and I think I'm about to transition to the second map. I don't have Brand yet, which a lot of people have said is where the game really opens up. Somehow I got it into my head that mission 6 is when you get the last nemesis features.

I finished the game last night (and got every achievement, cheers) and I'd say the closing set of story missions were a very mixed bag for me. There were some moments, both scripted and - more impressively - as a result of the nemesis system that were highs of the entire game. However, the narrative also fell back on some damsel business and really didn't know how to end: got to have a sequel, can't shake up Lord of the Rings canon too much.

Just my thoughts on the story, though; I loved the game overall. I anticipate going back in and messing with orcs a little more. I'm even slightly tempted on that DLC, just to play as Celebrimbor.

I kind of want to keep a captain alive for as long as possible, just to see how far they let you take it. I imagine a furious dismembered orc showing up in some kind of primitive wheelchair using his teeth as his only remaining weapon.

I am inadvertently doing this because I can't manage to do executions so I am creating these ungold powerful beings that are immune to everything and look like horrible, hobbling mutants. So far they haven't gotten worse than a bag over their head.

I have one of those lumpy plague looking orcs, but have't confronted him, he's already ugly as hell, so I can't image what would happen when I throw him into a fire.

Hearing that there is a second map is awesome, because so far the map I am on is a bit tiny and I've learned it enough to get around by recognizing everything.

Does anyone know how the vendetta system work? Like where are they pulling these names from? Steam or that Warner Brothers account I haven't signed up for? If it's steam, I'm going to have to start adding some people playing this game because I only see 2 same people to take revenge for.

Does anyone know how the vendetta system work? Like where are they pulling these names from? Steam or that Warner Brothers account I haven't signed up for? If it's steam, I'm going to have to start adding some people playing this game because I only see 2 same people to take revenge for.

Doesn't seem to be a Warner Brothers thing because I definitely didn't sign up for that and Architecture was apparently able to see my stuff in his game.

I am inadvertently doing this because I can't manage to do executions so I am creating these ungold powerful beings that are immune to everything and look like horrible, hobbling mutants. So far they haven't gotten worse than a bag over their head.

I have one of those lumpy plague looking orcs, but have't confronted him, he's already ugly as hell, so I can't image what would happen when I throw him into a fire.

Hearing that there is a second map is awesome, because so far the map I am on is a bit tiny and I've learned it enough to get around by recognizing everything.

It's Steam. Feel free to add me, D3war.

Sweet, I'll make my way down the idle thumbs group to see who is playing, it'll be a little more interesting this way, since I have no idea who my current steam friends are anymore, lol.

I finished the game last night (and got every achievement, cheers) and I'd say the closing set of story missions were a very mixed bag for me. There were some moments, both scripted and - more impressively - as a result of the nemesis system that were highs of the entire game. However, the narrative also fell back on some damsel business and really didn't know how to end: got to have a sequel, can't shake up Lord of the Rings canon too much.

Just my thoughts on the story, though; I loved the game overall. I anticipate going back in and messing with orcs a little more. I'm even slightly tempted on that DLC, just to play as Celebrimbor.

Just finished it (like 80% of the achievements). I feel mostly the same. I honestly enjoyed the story parts of the game that were about explaining some of the real Middle Earth lore, but the last few missions were definitely in service of ~It's A Video Game~.

The mechanics are just phenomenal, though. I'm definitely going to check out the challenge mode or trial mode or whatever it is. It looks like what I want more of with regard to where the game is going. I also like that the non-story achievements encourage you to do wacky shit with the systems they made. Poison a captain at his feast, turn warchiefs against each other, etc.

Once you go to the second map, can you come back to the first? Because I've done almost none of the weapon challenges.

I've only been playing on a Vita through remote play 50 miles from home, so between the sub-optimal controls and latency, I think I'm going to find out what happens if you die like crazy and let the captains power up forever!

Do you guys know if the XB One controller works with this on PC?

I've only been playing on a Vita through remote play 50 miles from home, so between the sub-optimal controls and latency, I think I'm going to find out what happens if you die like crazy and let the captains power up forever!

They throw a big party and turn Mordor into a giant super happy funtime land?

Once you go to the second map, can you come back to the first? Because I've done almost none of the weapon challenges.

Yes. You can fast travel between them instantly. In fact, it's probably easier to just fuck around endlessly with the nemesis system on the first map, because everyone's so low level you can just toy with them. I think I have a Power 3 warchief on that map because I was just ruining everyone I saw and it needs to generate SOMEONE to fill the power vacuum.

Do you guys know if the XB One controller works with this on PC?

Indeed. In fact, I used Mordor's release as an excuse to pick up the Xbox One controller:

rRprwym.jpg

Well, that's fortunate as I just ordered one! Does it have all the nice rumble features or is that limited to Forza so far?

Have not noticed any trigger rumble. I would recommend rubbing your finger along the trigger housing as well; the casting marks on mine were especially sharp so I took some 0000 steel wool to them.

Really love the feel of the redesigned sticks and buttons, and the d-pad is far better this time around. The triggers were initially uncomfortable because of their roundness, and I've found myself having to consciously adjust my grip on them during extended play sessions. I'd say the benefits far outweigh the negatives, though.

In fact, it's probably easier to just fuck around endlessly with the nemesis system on the first map, because everyone's so low level you can just toy with them.

Hmm... I'm not finding it that easy. Usually I get overwhelmed by those berserkers and other tougher dudes, and most of the captains on the level under the warchiefs are level 20 now.

(I haven't gotten to the second map yet)

I called back on my Arkham Asylum training and just use dodge button to flip over people's heads constantly when I get swarmed. Also, try to lure captains outside of the stronghold areas so they don't get as many reinforcements. Finally, if all else fails don't be afraid to run a little ways away and hide on top of a building or behind a wall. It's even easier to lose pursuit than Batman was.

Though with level 20 captains, some of that might be a little harder. Most of my captains topped out around 10-12.

Annnnnnnnnd great. I get home to find out my hard drive decided to die which is really strange timing and just fantastic as I was really looking forward to playing all weekend.

I'm guessing this doesn't have cloud saves so I'll get to start from the beginning, which to be honest, I'm not really looking forward to. So thus ends my murder playthrough for at least a few months when I feel like beginning again.

What a bummer.

Annnnnnnnnd great. I get home to find out my hard drive decided to die which is really strange timing and just fantastic as I was really looking forward to playing all weekend.

I'm guessing this doesn't have cloud saves so I'll get to start from the beginning, which to be honest, I'm not really looking forward to. So thus ends my murder playthrough for at least a few months when I feel like beginning again.

What a bummer.

Sorry to hear this, I just threw you an invite on Steam this evening in the hopes that I could avenge your death(s).

Hmm... I'm not finding it that easy. Usually I get overwhelmed by those berserkers and other tougher dudes, and most of the captains on the level under the warchiefs are level 20 now.

(I haven't gotten to the second map yet)

I actually think the game is fairly well balanced. The first map ramps up until you're fighting guys that are tough, and then you go to the second map and that starts at about 70-80% and then ramps back up. By the time you unlock the 4th tier of skills, fighting captains in the 10-15 range is really not an incredible challenge. Combat branding changes things dramatically.

Your experience is almost certainly different than mine, but by the time I moved to the next map I had almost entirely cleared the missions and I had absolutely RUINED the captaincy of that map (like, more than half of them were dead). I think I used the move time forward thing once. Wasn't interested in it.

I just beat it today, I barely did any of the weapon or Outcast challenges, but still came into the second map feeling overpowered. I died a grand total of once during the back half of the game. My only real problem was killing guys too fast so I didn't get the chance to mind control them. I'm sad that I didn't have any awesome nemesis tales to tell or anything. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a difficulty level at all, so I guess to make the game harder when I go back to get all the collectibles I'll just mash on the skip time button a bunch?

While I'm at a point where I can handle large swaths of Uruk at a time, I don't feel overpowered in the slightest. I might have laid waste to most of the captains in the game, but there are still moments where I'm just overwhelmed by the sheer number of orcs on screen to the point where I can even vault them and run away. My current nemesis seems to only suffer a vulnerability to fire, and I've yet to get him anywhere near an open flame.

I've always been down on fantasy and never really fell for Tolkein's works, but this game is making me want to pick up the books and attempt them again. This is easily the most fun I've had with a big-budget game in ages, and I'm glad that something can still come along and take me by surprise in the AAA scene.