subbes

The Idle Thumbs 10th Anniversary Committee

The Thumbs office is getting a great picture of Steve.  Since the Committee only has rights to these artworks for the purposes of printing canvases for the 10th Anniversary Weird Thing, if Steve wants a copy I'm sure he can contact atte after the canvases have arrived to figure that out.  :)

Oh, yes. Of course, subbes! I only meant that now the surprise is lost a bit on him, since he's seen his name in here already.

I'm bummed out I totally missed this thread :( I don't supposed there is still a way to donate to this?

Subbes, could you update Sean & Steve in the post on the first page (...final versions are not that different but it would please me).

The pictures are now in my Flickr too (that I hadn't used in 4 years) with creative commons license so there's no worries about sharing and printing them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atteokkonen/

Sure thing, I just used the ones from the thread because they were easy to embed.

Is there a crease down the pic? It's driving me mildly insane every time I see it.

I would imagine it's the support down the middle of the canvas. It shouldn't be visible when mounted on a wall properly — the surface the picture is on is somewhat flexible.

Yeah, the podcast break talk was pretty exciting to listen. At 1:01:05, Blambo fulfilling Jake's dreams since 2014.

Oh my god, I just died when they mentioned Jay Allard and Bobby Kotick, I fucking died. They're sooo gunna love that!

if we had millions of dollars to spend I would want to see a idle thumbs trading card game with a single ultra rare Most Famous Player card

I'm so excited to send this letter!  I'm almost done with the draft.  Blambo, can you please confirm the title of your Nick painting? 

It's "Die Überweinhandler". I'll PM you the other info when my account stuff is sorted out

Thanks so much for your work so far!

Thanks!  I'll get writing the note tonight!  It may take a while because I'm trying a new technique.

I poked around on the CanvasPop site, and as long as I can order before my promo code expires (Friday night) I can double the size of each Thumb portrait to 20 x 16*  and still fit within our budget.  For reference, the Jake picture is 50 x 32, so the other portraits will be about half that size.

* Or similar dimensions to maintain image aspect ratio

First run of the gift note.  I'm trying a slightly different hand ("font," for those of you more accustomed to computers) so I need to do many of these practice runs.  I'm using my piece of shit Noodler's pen because I'm not going to risk ruining one of my vintage nibs just for a practice session, so there's railroading everywhere because steel "flex" nibs are rubbish and do not deserve the "flex" adjective.  

Still, it shows what I mean to do.  Please ignore the way I apparently forgot how to write in a straight line. 

post-8532-0-61055800-1391056062_thumb.jpg

Ink nerdery:

The main ink is a purple "iron gall" ink which darkens over time as it reacts with the paper;  it starts out a medium purple and darkens to a near-black shade.  Once it's fully reacted, it will have permanently bonded with the paper and nothing short of destroying the paper will remove the ink.  I chose purple because of the favicon for the site, and chose the iron-gall because it's the most permanent purple I have and I find the properties of iron-gall ink fascinating.

The "O" will be ornamented and I need to practice that a lot on some separate paper.  Probably a teal green/blue, possibly another iron-gall ink because why the hell not.

Awesome subbes! That's...an insane amount of consideration. I guess I'm not really surprised that calligraphy is so nuanced but that's granular to a degree I didn't expect!

Kinda unhappy with the medals, but this is the latest iteration of Nick:

j2TjEtz.jpg

Hey mind if I modify the Nick somewhat? Send me like TIF, I've got an idea...

Anyway, listening to the podcast. Their talking about the portrait, and about the hope for a J. Allard and Kotick stuff.

What's just, not a canvas, but a nice place to print out prints? Doesn't need to be canvas... just saying put the Kotick portrait alongside Allard, then put lightsabers in their hands and have them fighting. Obviously blue for Allard and Red for Kotick.