Sign in to follow this  
lobotomy42

Idle Thumbs 10th Anniversary

Counting from the very first iteration of the website, it has to be coming up soon, right?

I don't really have a finished thought around that.  But, like, is there going to be some awesome 10 year celebration? Or at least some crazy forum thread?

We should have an all expenses paid party in SF on May 10th! (I'll be on holiday over there that week :) and I'll need to eat so a buffet will be good thanks)

Thanks for linking that, it was fun to read and the E3 2005 outtakes video is wonderful. I started listening to Idle Thumbs during their Kickstarter and I had no idea about the history of the community or the cast.

This is maybe, perhaps fun to read in this regard; the retrospective on Idle Thumbs I wrote a few years ago during the whole Kickstarter excitement:

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/7588-idle-thumbs-a-retrospective-in-triple-a/

I came in recently, but I sure do appreciate you all being here. I'm losing my passion because I have a place to vent where people know what the fuck I'm talking about (though not necessarily agreeing with it). Before I was just walking around the internet, righteously upset that no one gets games.

Man, it's still so weird for me how much I've grown up with this forum. When I joined up, I was in high school and had just heard about it from Mixnmojo. I was barely a teenager. I had never had a job nor a girlfriend. When I look back, I have like 4 friends that I have known as long as some of the people on this forum. That dry spell, when the site wasn't updating and the podcast hadn't started yet, was terrifying to me. I was always worried I'd try to log in one day and it would all be gone. Who would ever have guessed that a web site would become such a constant in my life. Well done, Thumbs. You really have built something beautiful here.

Man, it's still so weird for me how much I've grown up with this forum. When I joined up, I was in high school and had just heard about it from Mixnmojo. I was barely a teenager. I had never had a job nor a girlfriend. When I look back, I have like 4 friends that I have known as long as some of the people on this forum. That dry spell, when the site wasn't updating and the podcast hadn't started yet, was terrifying to me. I was always worried I'd try to log in one day and it would all be gone. Who would ever have guessed that a web site would become such a constant in my life. Well done, Thumbs. You really have built something beautiful here.

That's really well put, Miffy. I don't have nearly your history here, but I did start listening to the podcast in 2009, when I went to grad school in a new city and knew no one for a hundred miles in any direction. The Thumbs were my friends in a pod, which did more for me than I feel comfortable admitting. When they went away, I was crushed, and when they came back, I donated as much as I could afford to thank them. Their return also got me to join the forums, which I hadn't wanted to do because I hate internet communities and my inevitable place in them, and that's found me a good number of friends, to whom I'm not necessarily close, but on whom I know I could count if I needed it.

Yeah, so... happy decade of existence, Idle Thumbs!

:tup:

The irony for me is, I don't even listen to the podcast particularly often*.  I was a huge fan of the old 2005-era articles who then started forum lurking and quickly discovered that these are the best video game forums.  And they still are.  Like you, it's a bit surprising (but grand!) how constant Idle Thumbs has been as a web site I visit while most others from that period have either died or else just don't seem relevant to me anymore.

*Not because I don't enjoy it, just because I don't listen to podcasts that often for whatever reason.

Wow, 10 years? I've been listening for... about 1 year now, maybe a little less. I'm so glad I found the podcast (doubly so when I found out about the whole Kickstarter thing and how I could have completely missed it if I had tried looking for video game podcasts a few months earlier...)

On top of that, I'm glad to have become a part of the community here as well. It's nice to have somewhere to just throw in my weird thoughts and opinions while still having a tighter community than, say, Reddit, where I might never run into the same user twice. Thanks all you wonderful Thumbs for everything!

I started listening a couple of days after they finished the first batch of 51 pods, I was super bummed about missing out. They the 13 or so with Gaynor were amazing.

And remember when they announced the kickstarter and I was super stoked :D

I heard about them from the Uk PC gamer podcast, just a off hand comment by Tom francis about how some UI was bad and he thought jake seemed smarter than that or something, really weird how that turned out...

Well done thumbs! And I wish you another happy 10 years! :)

I haven't had as long a history of visiting Idle Thumbs as many of you have (only started listening to the casts 2 summers ago), and I'm not nearly as engaged in the forums as many of you, but I've loved listening to the thumbs over the past few year, and its cool to be a part of an online community that isn't super gross and sad to read through

I've been a reader since episode 3 and loved every minute of it.  During the hiatus I must have listened to the existing casts about 10 times.  Even though I registered for the forums 4 years ago, I didn't start becoming active until after the kickstarter.  Now I can't imagine not checking the forums on a daily basis.  I've met some amazing people via these forums and even the Thumbs themselves.  Here's hoping the next 10 years blows us all away.

I'm terrible and am still catching up on pods since I started casting, but the community is neat!

I think it was about a year ago now that I was bored at work one day and Googled "video game podcasts". After going through some search results I ended up gravitating towards Idle Thumbs based on some recommendations on a random forum. Then a couple months later I decided to join the forums. It's weird to think that in the age of Facebook and Twitter that this is the first and only internet community that I've participated in. I think that's because this is one of the few places on the internet where people are intelligent and actually treat each other like human beings.

I also came in during the first era of the podcast in 2009. The Thumbs kept me company when I did shitty dish-washing shifts at a restaurant. I would listen read the podcast on loud volume to hear it over the monstrous machine, and the chefs would always ask me what I was laughing about by myself in the back of the restaurant. I first joined the forum to post stupid Photoshops inspired by the episodes, peaking with the Phaedrus poster being posted on the Idle Thumbs front page.

Here's to 100 more years!

Having just joined recently I can safely say that this is now one of my favorite places on the internet. So many online communities have burned me out but Idle Thumbs also seems a safe harbor. Here is hoping for another 10 years.

This thread makes me very happy.

I started listening a couple of days after they finished the first batch of 51 pods, I was super bummed about missing out. They the 13 or so with Gaynor were amazing.

And remember when they announced the kickstarter and I was super stoked :D

I heard about them from the Uk PC gamer podcast, just a off hand comment by Tom francis about how some UI was bad and he thought jake seemed smarter than that or something, really weird how that turned out...

Well done thumbs! And I wish you another happy 10 years! :)

Ha now I want to hear this episode...

I ended up here after Iain Simons wrote about Spheres of Chaos and an art exhibition at E3 for the first site. I still work for him once a year :)

Ha now I want to hear this episode...

Unfortunately when i went back to find it most of them have been lost to black hole of the internet  :tdown:

I think it was the Idle Thumb's first appearance on Tested's Octobercast that got me here, either that or some piece of Giant Bomb craziness a few years back. This has certainly been a nice landing place after my last forum finally collapsed into near-oblivion due to lack of intrest. People are really thoughtful around these parts, but not so much as to be self-righteous.