TychoCelchuuu

goty.cx - It's that time of last year again

Which Game is the GOTY of the Year?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. You must select gamse.

• Kentucky Route Zero
    • The Entertainment
    • Some other video game

Hey, I'm pretty new around here and I was wondering do the guys choose games that they personally played in 2013 because was spelunky not last year and dark souls was definitely 2011. Don't really mind, just interested.

Here are mine for last year

1. Bioshock Infinite

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening

3. Device 6

4. The Last of Us

5. The Swapper

6. DMC: Devil May Cry

7. Paper's Please

8. A Link Between Two Worlds

9. Grand Theft Auto V

10. Gone Home

I also liked Risk of Rain, Proteus and Gunpoint and wanted to play Europa Universalis IV and Metro: Last Light, but just didn't get around to it. The Yawhg also looks interesting, might give that a look.

We're pretty lenient with years and pretty much everything around here

for example my GOty was my microwave oven, and i bought that back in 2009!

To be fair, most nice microwaves now come with a Tegra quad-core CPU and Tetris preinstalled.  And Tetris is GOTY material every year.

I actually got a new microwave this year that has "Inverter Technology" that's probably the best microwave I've ever owned. In my research before buying it, I found that this technology allows for variable voltage meaning that the "power level" aspect of the microwave is real. The microwave at my work deals with power by cycling the microwave at full power; ie, at 50% power the microwave is on for 15 seconds, turns off for 15 seconds, turns back on for 15, and so on until complete. This microwave actually does heat at a variable "power", meaning I can defrost frozen meat without cooking it and heat up soup at 70% or something so it doesn't bubble up and make a mess of my microwave.

Anyways, the Panasonic Genius 1.2 cuft 1200 Watt Sensor Microwave w/Inverter Technology is my MOTY 2013.

OMG, I think we have the same microwave.  Definitely a Panasonic with the variable inverter.  I was pissed when our old one died, as I hate having to replace appliances.  But I didn't realize how shitty our old microwave was until we got this one.  I'm glad the old one's gone now.  I fully concur with your MOTY. 

I just got my mom a Panasonic microwave for christmas.

I only now realize how fucked up that may be...

Hey, I'm pretty new around here and I was wondering do the guys choose games that they personally played in 2013 because was spelunky not last year and dark souls was definitely 2011. Don't really mind, just interested.

Here are mine for last year

1. Bioshock Infinite

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening

3. Device 6

4. The Last of Us

5. The Swapper

6. DMC: Devil May Cry

7. Paper's Please

8. A Link Between Two Worlds

9. Grand Theft Auto V

10. Gone Home

I also liked Risk of Rain, Proteus and Gunpoint and wanted to play Europa Universalis IV and Metro: Last Light, but just didn't get around to it. The Yawhg also looks interesting, might give that a look.

Spelunky's PC release was this year though, and the Daily Challenge was a new feature that was added to it, and that specifically is what got Chris hooked so I'd argue that's a valid contemporary choice.

It's weird that Jake didnt write an entry and that that entry wasn't Super Mario 3D World.

1. The Stanley Parable

2. Kentucky Route Zero, Act I & II

3. Spelunky (aka, the Real Game, aka, the Only Game, aka, the One Game, aka, the One Only Real Game)

4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

5. Gone Home

6. Gunpoint

7. Papers, Please

8. Metro: Last Light (aka, No Love for Metro [in this thread])

9. Saints Row 4

10. The Last of Us

Yep.

I would probably amend my list to add Bioshock Infinite as an honorable mention, after finishing it this evening.  I still feel like it has a lot of flaws, but it's rare for a game's ending to have a dramatic effect on my opinion of it.  BI achieved that. 

8. Metro: Last Light (aka, No Love for Metro [in this thread])

I haven't played it, though I loved the first one.  It was just the kind of game that struck me as worth waiting until I could get a deal on it.  A kind of evergreen experience that it would be fine to get to a year later. 

I loved the first Metro, but Last Light is just one that i haven't gotten around to playing, despite absolutely meaning to.

I suspect it's been such a game for a lot of people.

i purposely put off playing it as i heard a tiny rumour that they might release a next gen version, which bared no fruit.

Another new rumour is that'll it be part of PS+ next month in the UK

I've actually just added to my rental list this morning because i'm fend up of waiting so, should be paying it in a couple of days (yep, its already been dispatched)

GOTY actually from 2013: Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

I was really struggling to look back at stuff that came out this year that really excited me, then I got this for Christmas and completed it in 4 days. It sucked me in like no other game made this year and made me glad that my wife bought a 3DS for Animal Crossing then never touched it again.

GOTY played in 2013, but actually older: Dark Souls

I fell into the late hype pit for this game along with a lot of the gaming audience, but man is it one of the few games I've played that really lived up to that hype. Of the games that you really can "beat" (basically not Minecraft, Crusader Kings, or MMOs) this game ate the most time, had me doing the most research, and was the most satisfying at every step of the way.