Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 141: "I was too busy losing it."

Idle Thumbs 141:

487__header.jpg

"I was too busy losing it."

We're joined by Will Smith of Tested.com for a manic look at the aftermath of the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show, the heat and motion detecting revenge of Robot News, and other things which when taken in aggregate generally represent the future. We then marvel at this week, which seems to feature nothing but amazing independent games crashing into one another.

Things Discussed: CES 2013, Oculus Rift: Crystal Cove, Samurai Gunn, Nidhogg, Risk of Rain, Far Cry 2, Euro Truck Simulator 2

Is it just me or is the sound quite bad? Is the equipment dying?

Is it just me or is the sound quite bad? Is the equipment dying?

It died with Nick Breckon.

(Sound could be better but it was a bit weird once or twice before.)

I didn't notice the sound too much, but then again I was playing Skyrim while the Thumbs were casting in the background. 

I didn't really feel that sorry for Michael Bay (probably because I've only heard them describing the fiasco, and not watched any videos), but my heart goes out to the guy who got mugged while listening to the cast. That shit sucks man. It's only happened to me once and luckily it turns out I knew the guy who had me at knifepoint and was clad in a balaclava so he stopped mid-crime.

It does make me think if I was killed while listening to any cast I was a fan of I'd want the hosts to know I'd died while listening to them.* I wonder if they think about all the bizarre scenarios that they've unintentionally cast over. 

*that sounds super creepy. I died in a sacrificial ritual to the cast!

I can't decide whether I'm really disappointed or relieved that Robot News has gotten to the point where the acquisition of indoor climate control only merits a "we'll get to that", and then you don't actually get to that. I guess maybe there's just nothing more to say.

I like that the EVE Oculus game has VR worked into the name; it reminds me of early DS games that all had subtitles like Dual Strike or Drill Spirits.

With this robot obsession continuing to go on, I think the thumbs crew should play Binary Domain. It's an unintentionally hilarious Japanese game about the horrible robot future (the robot related plot twist is nuts). It's also a fun game.

The Google discussion caused me to see what Google ads thinks it knows about me. It got my gender and age range right, but it's interests for me was mostly off, and I feel this really dumb sense of pride because of that.

Good cast and good guest! But man, Jake really needs to start complaining about Sean complaining about Chris talking about Spelunky on every fucking episode from now on.

Why not just increase the length of each episode by ten minutes and give Chris his own Spelunky segment at the end of each one? Call it "Spelunking with Chris Remo". Then Chris won't have to feel guilty for talking about Spelunky and Sean can make his escape so he can retain what little sanity he has left. That's what I call a win-win-win.

I really want a montage of every time they've obliquely mentioned killing the shopkeeper, that should be the true moratorium.

It was worth it for "I'M ANGRY NOW!"

Why not just increase the length of each episode by ten minutes and give Chris his own Spelunky segment at the end of each one? Call it "Spelunking with Chris Remo". Then Chris won't have to feel guilty for talking about Spelunky and Sean can make his escape so he can retain what little sanity he has left. That's what I call a win-win-win.

Not yet, maybe? I'm still getting a little pleasure out of Chris' sheepishness, for some reason.

You can't just segregate Spelunky from other games. It isn't like DOTA with its various lords looking down on other games with a smug sense of superiority, esoteric knowledge, secret handshakes, and ancient hazing rituals that distinguish it from the masses. Spelunky is a game of humble origins from its days a free title made in GameMaker based on the premise that the intermingling of genres (scandalous!) like the simple platformer, and the (at the time) unfashionable roguelike can show the best of what gaming has to offer. It's a game of the people, and when discussed it needs to exist in fellowship with other games.

The Google discussion caused me to see what Google ads thinks it knows about me. It got my gender and age range right, but it's interests for me was mostly off, and I feel this really dumb sense of pride because of that.

Haha, both columns got my age wrong, but the range is on either side. It's impression of my interests is kind of funny too. I sound like a miserable weirdo:

Banking, Biological Sciences, Books & Literature, Brazilian Music, Celebrities & Entertainment News, Computer & Video Games, East Asian Music, Fitness, Humor, Hygiene & Toiletries, Make-Up & Cosmetics, Mobile Apps & Add-Ons, Online Games, Pet Food & Supplies, Record Labels, Recording Industry, Reggaeton, Shopping, Smart Phones, Superhero Films, TV Dramas, TV Shows & Programs

Spelunky Today; with Chris and Patrick Klepek.

We gotta get Anthony Burch and Tom Francis in that too. Anyway, great pod. I fucking died during the Google car conversation. That was hilarious to imagine.

When Sean leaned into the microphone and said "Hello left channel~" in my right ear only, I stopped and checked if my headset was on the right way.

Spelunky Today; with Chris and Patrick Klepek.

So are you the one responsible for the Remo vs. Klepek twitter account?

I laughed really hard at the story about driving next to the Google car.

Ever since the opening of Full House...I've had nightmares about being in the backseat of a car that was just going with no driver...thinking it would eventually go out of control and I'm trying to get to the front seat in time before disaster!  Now my nightmares could be made real (well, hopefully without the disaster part).