Steve

Tone Control 7: Brendon Chung!

I have similar feelings! Each episode makes me feel like a horrible person for not being self-motivated enough to actually make games even though I know I have the ability to do so! But that's something I feel all the time.

Nah, I'm kidding. I'm making something RIGHT THIS MOMENT. This is a great podcast. Thanks for making a great podcast!

Also as a huge fan of Blendo Games' games, thanks Brendon for making sweet games! I've always loved the whole connected story in your stuff, and that's something I've always hoped to do myself some day. Rad. Thumbs up.

I'm not gonna lie, Steve, these interviews are making me want to start doing something regarding games. Not quite there yet, damn the winter blues! I try to justify playing so many games by saying to myself I'm analyzing them. Still, I like doing that, figuring out why something was done and why something was omitted. Do you have any advice on how to better analyze games or does it just come with the experience of knowing how things get done behind the scenes?

I remember reading an interview with Levine, funnily enough, and he said something along the lines of how he's always looking at the games he's playing from a developmental point of view, which essentially ruined his ability to enjoy games as the average joe does. That always stuck with me, for some reason. Obsessively listening to Valve's dev commentary pretty much solidified that kind of critical thinking.

I'm not gonna lie, Steve, these interviews are making me want to start doing something regarding games. Not quite there yet, damn the winter blues! I try to justify playing so many games by saying to myself I'm analyzing them. Still, I like doing that, figuring out why something was done and why something was omitted. Do you have any advice on how to better analyze games or does it just come with the experience of knowing how things get done behind the scenes?

I think you're right that making games/levels is a big part of building the tools to more deeply analyze levels you play. Once you know how to set up a scripted sequence, or whatever, you can more readily recognize how the designers implemented the thing you're playing, ie you're more familiar with the component parts and the processes under the hood. So I'd definitely suggest learning a level editor and trying to make your own levels for a type of game you like to play, if you want to start being able to "see through" games more clearly as you play them. It will definitely improve your design sense.

I tried listening to this episode a bunch of times before sleeping but I always nodded off like 10 minutes in, finally got to it on a long train journey.

Definitely my favourite Tone Control so far, great job!

That google doc of the Blendo Universe timeline sounds like the most magical document currently on the planet. (I wonder if the old stuff like Bugstompers or Grotto King are part of that canon)

Okay, this is seriously the best Tone Control yet, and that's saying something.  I hope you have more than 20 listeners, the show deserves it.

And I concur with everyone else, the connection between GH, SS and Bioshock is amazing and makes me so happy. 

A great episode, as per the ushze! Like others have said around here, Tone Contril has been a huge inspiration and a catalyst for looking into creating my own games. Digging in and getting deeper into games via tinkering or actually learning to code/use a game engine had given me greater appreciation for a lot of games and definitely all the Devs you've talked to, Steve! And especially you, Mr. Gaynor! Thanks soooo much for the sweet, sweet casts!

A great episode, as per the ushze! Like others have said around here, Tone Contril has been a huge inspiration and a catalyst for looking into creating my own games. Digging in and getting deeper into games via tinkering or actually learning to code/use a game engine had given me greater appreciation for a lot of games and definitely all the Devs you've talked to, Steve! And especially you, Mr. Gaynor! Thanks soooo much for the sweet, sweet casts!

My pleasure! An excuse to talk to dudes that have made rad games I like...? I'll take it!

Brendon is my favorite gaming auteur. You get all these higher profile dudes, who's made some good games sure, Fez, Braid what have you, but the breadth in such a small window is just outrageous. Also, for my money 30 Flights is the best realization of game as film, by a mile. I wish there was a fuller length version in that style. The idea that he's just TINKERING without any formal training just blows my mind.

Another great show! 

That google doc of the Blendo Universe timeline sounds like the most magical document currently on the planet. (I wonder if the old stuff like Bugstompers or Grotto King are part of that canon)

Yup, everything's rolled in there. I'm usually allergic to game documentation, but reaching for connections between everything was too fun to pass up.

Brendon is my favorite gaming auteur. You get all these higher profile dudes, who's made some good games sure, Fez, Braid what have you, but the breadth in such a small window is just outrageous. Also, for my money 30 Flights is the best realization of game as film, by a mile. I wish there was a fuller length version in that style. The idea that he's just TINKERING without any formal training just blows my mind.

Another great show! 

Thanks! You're too kind.

Tinkering is a good word. I think it's sometimes easy for developers to get railroaded into being the best and doing things the right way. Games are playful things, and I think there's room in the development process to reflect that.

I'd read a lot of the buzz around Thirty Flights of Loving and I wasn't really sure if I would get it but I will now.

Also I'm psyched for Quadrilateral Cowboy but I think that regardless of story for a large amount of the time I will be pretending that I'm in Neuromancer: The Game.

Very enjoyable episode!

The name that jumped to my mind when you were talking about works set in the same universe was Stephen King. I haven't read much of him, but apparently even apart from The Dark Tower's post-modernism, there are lots of callbacks to previous novels, like characters passing through the town that "It" was set in and seeing "Pennywise Lives" graffiti.

Brendon has such a soothing voice. I'd pay him to say "Piranha" till I am lulled into sleep... :P

Anyone besides me think Brendon sounds like Nicholas Cage?

Jumped in to say that I've been really liking these episodes. This one and the one with Randy Smith were particularly enjoyable.

As Wikipedia Brown said, I'm also a nerd for continuity stuff, so when Gaynor was laying down all the connections I was way more pumped than I probably should be about a goofy thing.

Keep up the great work, Steve!

Great discussion. However, atom zombie smasher remains the only game to blue screen my computer. Twice:(

Anyone having trouble hearing Brendon in this ep?  I usually listen to podcasts in the car, but the road noise is basically cancelling out half of what Brendon says. :wacko:

I've listened to many of the Tone Control podcasts and this is the first I've had an issue with.