Frenetic Pony

Rust: It puts the lotion on its skin

I'm really interested in this game, but I just don't think I could handle playing it. I have enough stress in my life as is. Anyone know any good Rust streamers?

NOT CABOOSE!

I'm really interested in this game, but I just don't think I could handle playing it. I have enough stress in my life as is. Anyone know any good Rust streamers?

I don't know about live streams, but I thought this Let's Play was entertaining:

I have some friends that are basically running a Native American gang in that game. They all run around together and do strange stuff like replace the doors on peoples homes with their own doors and then show up when they know they're awake in the middle of the game night and come out of the hills whooping like the savages from blood meridian or something. Then they flood into their own unlocked door and just murder everyone inside... 

So yeah, murder simulator.... 

Quick story of a month in RUST (with pictures!)

after learning the ropes after 3 weeks, me and a cohort found a sweet flat spot lower than road level by the sea and after surviving a few raids managed to build too much metal to scare people off the server.

The rest didnt know... until we heard people talk in chat of a place called "atlantis" a mythical city by the sea:
x3lkhnr.jpg

It's 18 storeys high after one month of gathering and raiding by 3 of us:
hSY692y.jpg

Problem is now we've got so powerful on our own, the waring factions inside the road have lost their edge, no matter how many they outnumber us to the stage where our raids are over-farming, people are leaving and the few that remain are building fake bases with empty crates to deplete our C4:
4jHzpnc.jpg

The mythical atlantis has started to grow as a city with our "affiliates" building within our sphere of saftey and join us on raids:
Q8YAJkv.jpg
But people are leaving our 50 max server, there are hardly ever any admins on to increase it and airdrops are maybe 1 or 2 a day so newbies have nigh-on no chance of competing with us, and all our hard work is nearly worthless now there is no one to engage with.

sincerely

a concerned citizen.

Haha. I love the twisted mentality in this game. 'Our wonderful utopian fortress we built to protect us is worthless because nobody is attacking us!'. A glimpse into the horrifying nature of human psychology and its priorities after the apocalypse.

On the Rebel FM podcast, they were talking about how they had to take things to the next level after becoming the dominant gang. They did the natural thing, they became the server's police force. They claimed that as soon as they changed their names to things like " Police Chief Whatever", other players started calling them in global chat to investigate lootings or stop a raid in progress. They said they had a batman-problem where their existence created an antithesis.

I had just about given up on Rust since I don't really have time right now to play consistently. I logged in last night to find that my house had disappeared, either because of the patch or decay. Then again, the prospect of setting up a police gang sounds too awesome to pass up. I'll have to check out that podcast

Could you post the EP numbers for the lazy?

As far as Atlantis goes, I think a lot of the social intrigue of the game is lost to private VoIP. If all players used in-game it would be SO much more interesting for me. With groups of players on private voice working together, they can exert a hegemonic dominance over others like in your story. I'd imagine solo players would have the most interesting experiences because there is so much more variability and so much less security in the world.

One thing I'm enjoying about this game the more I play is night-time. At the beginning of my lives, I have nothing to do at night-time but sit around a campfire and global chat. I just had a great conversation with someone who was saying that friendliness is nothing but a survival-strategy. The conversation was framed as "This game is just like real life." I recounted my an instance from a week ago where me and two other naked dudes who I had never met before ended up sharing chicken over a campfire and how it was greater than the sum of it's parts. 

Clyde you must be on a very nice server. Night time is blackout for everyone as most groups send 3-5 player sorties to sniff out newbies or idle players who've left their fires or furnaces on.

It got to the stage where groups would make a little camp fire with two nakeds and have the rest hidden away to trap any would-be plunderers.

So a light at night connotates traumatic thoughts for those of us who have survived this long.

On a brighter note There's two huge rival towers near small Rad town on my server we're going to sneak a huge giant wooden pen is structure between early UK time when no one is on when we've made enough structural parts and cover it in fires with full 250 wood to light it up for all to see.

Will post a pic if/when it's erected.

The emergent politics and factions that this game seems capable of producing are exciting. It reminds me of some of the stories about EVE Online, where things you just wouldn't think likely in a multiplayer game occur: alliances, betrayals, espionage, etc. I guess that game's menu-heavy play makes it easier to make such cerebral concepts occur, and that's where a lot of games fail: the gameplay is too action-orientated and there's very little gain to not just blowing up everything you see.

Some of my best gaming memories involve me working cooperatively with others. I fondly recall PlanetSide, and the day when I logged in to find an unbelievably large assault force gathering on my faction's home continent; it went on for about an hour, and as people continued to log in and realise what was potentially going down, they lined up their vehicles amongst the vast armadas and waited. Row after row of dropships, each capable of holding like 10 players plus a vehicle — not to mention countless smaller entities such as tanks and attack ships.

When the siege in some enemy faction-controlled continent's key base finally occurred, it was truly a sight to behold. Yet the enthusiasm and pomp soon gave way to a bloodbath, and a huge proportion of our force was ruined. That began a slow battle that took all day to resolve, fortunately in our favour. But the great memory of how so many random people with little to gain personally from working with each other still wanted to be part of a larger thing.

Anyway. Back to the point: I've also had many memories of working closely with a few other guys in games like Tribes 2, Team Fortress, and Battlefield. I think it's so great when games give you the right tools to entrench yourself and build your own 'base', as it seems to encourage people to work together to make a stronghold or community that is safe and resilient. There's a certain 'feel good' factor I can't quantify to having some other people there with you building up some awesome fortress. I can totally imagine how the specific recipe Rust is going for would create some great experiences.

Wish I had time to play it right now. It's still in beta, right? I guess there'll be a nice, polished game for me to play at some point.

Wish I had time to play it right now. It's still in beta, right? I guess there'll be a nice, polished game for me to play at some point.

As betas go, it's rather far along. I've been playing Rust and DayZ in parallel for a while now and Rust has been pretty impressively stable so far. They're going to add more features as they go, but it seems like what's in so far has been pretty well polished.

As betas go, it's rather far along. I've been playing Rust and DayZ in parallel for a while now and Rust has been pretty impressively stable so far. They're going to add more features as they go, but it seems like what's in so far has been pretty well polished.

If you flashed forward a year, I imagine the Rust gameplay experience will be greatly enhanced. I would not hurry anyone to buy and play this game.

If you flashed forward a year, I imagine the Rust gameplay experience will be greatly enhanced. I would not hurry anyone to buy and play this game.

I'm sure it will be further developed, but I think it will be a much different experience.

I agree the state it is in now is well worth a look before they start adding high quality metal etc...

Right now it's incredibly well balanced that if you lose everything you can rebuild quickly, which is great as you try new things through necessity not ticking a quest box or filling an achievement bar up.

Your achievenrs in rust are what you do which is really refreshing. To me at least.

Anyone have a server recommendation?

I played about an hour to learn the basics on a random server, would like to find a place with a good mix between conflict and cooperation.  Any unofficial Thumbs server?

So I managed to wake up on the experimental server; this was an achievement since the game is currently pretty broken. It looks a lot better, but a lot has changed and you can't depend on basic intuition (currently). But I decided to walk around for a while. I got hungry and hadn't seen any animals until I saw a deer by the lake. I snuck up on it with my rock so that the deer would be between the water and my rock. I crept up to it and...

it was a jesus-deer.

nuQy0RX.jpg

I followed it like a religious zealot and drowned after a short spirit-journey.