Frenetic Pony

Rust: It puts the lotion on its skin

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/07/impressions-rust/

Ok, that's the preview. I'm pretty sure I'm buying this game when I've run out of other games to play. Because, tl;dr it's Minecraft + Day Z. And it's like Day Z in that you can do ultra fucked up shit to other players, except now you can build traps for them so its worse. One of the examples given was some guying building an entire unpassable wall around another guys house, and then feeding him at will (you still die if you don't eat) and if he's not cooperative yelling "It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again!" By which he meant just dumping coal on the poor player.

And yet it's not as bad as Day Z because you carry crafting skills across lives, also its nice any sunny! What do you guys think?

Everything I see about this game just ends up being bizarre.  I started a thread about a month ago about this update to the game, which was made to combat Steam being flooded with pictures of caveman dicks.

I really enjoyed this video of Rust but it eradicated any desire I have to actually play it:

(video)

This part!

Okay, watched some of that video.  WHAT THE HELL?!  I didn't realize it's a post-apocalyptic cult simulator.

It would be amazing if cults started forming up on the game world.

"That's Rock Worshiper territory. You REALLY don't want to go in there unless you want a lecture on silver rocks vs. other rocks. Also they'll kill you."

I spent four days with a friend getting and crafting a huge castle, learning ALL the blueprints/items to craft, and halfway through building it we realised we were on a non-pvp server where only zombies and wildlife can kill you not other humans.

Absolutley gutted. And the prospect of doing it all again is just a kick in the teeth, finding all the blueprints, the fact it takes 200 second to craft one metal foundation and you have to stand next to a workbench to do it.

this was an absolute waste of time:

aN5MdhO.jpg

I'm listening to episode 201 of the Rebel FM podcast and their stories from Rust are really enjoyable to listen to. It sounds like the game requires a time-commitment that I can't afford right now, but running around with a gang or spending enough time on a server to establish property-lines sounds like a neat tribal experience.

Okay, so I found out this was made by Gary's Mod people... am I totally crazy in thinking they were making some typical shooter with narrative in it not that long ago? I can't find anything about it from the internet, which makes me think I've gone insane.

But I was sure they were making a typical shooter that looked horrendous... maybe I got my developers mixed up? But I was pretty certain it was Gary.

You're probably thinking of Day One : Garry's Incident, which has no relationship to Garry's Mod, but is very "conveniently" named.

Also, for what it's worth, Rust has equaled 40 percent of the profits that Garry's Mod has made in its entire lifetime.  Mod has been out for 9 years, Rust has been out for a little over a month.

I picked this up as some buddies had been playing it and convinced me that it would be fun. It was.

I started alone and got brutally murdered by a zombie then chose to respawn. After this I spawned in Rad Town which i ended up exploring the valley near by, after which I got chased down by a bear I escaped by breaking into a guys house, meanwhile my buddies joined the server, the first to Rad Town found a sleeping guy, who was of course brutally murdered for his gear, which was some pretty good stuff. Next I built a bow and killed a few bears; meanwhile my other buddy found us. on the second dawn I noticed a guy shooting a pistol so we knew there was another person nearby.

We proceed to ransack Rad Town and John finds an assault rifle, we see a guy on a roof which we sneak up on, he gets bursted down by Dave and John I drop from the roof to investigate the corpse seeing a load of great stuff including a silenced laser sight pistol and kevlar armour, his buddy turns up with a shotgun and blows my face off. Dave and John take him out and we meet up again heading towards Hacker Valley to build a house as we are now really far ahead of where either of them had been at this point. 

Hah, finding someone sleeping in Rad Town is pretty amazing luck. Usually they're very much awake and armed to the teeth and not eager to share.

Same story here, people convinced me to pick it up (sort of). The footage I'd seen didn't look terribly inspiring but I quite like the combination of survivaling and base building, I guess that much is sort of unique at the moment. We still haven't managed to get to the point of being stable and getting decent gear without being raided eventually, so the plan is to build a secondary cache somewhere discreet and just store enough stuff to make a fresh start relatively quickly. It's also difficult to find a server where a) everyone isn't a big jerk b) everyone isn't a big hacking jerk or c) the admins are actually responsive to a and b. Seems like it's a pretty easy game to speed/dupe hack at the moment, which can be annoying.

The Rebel FM podcast continues to entertain me with Rust stories in episode 202. At one point someone starts talking about a strategy of winning hearts and minds in order to find an enemy group who have decentralized.

I have to keep reminding myself that I would hate this game because I would be going in solo.

I played for two hours and had a great time after I died from eating raw chicken and watched a youtube video on how to cook it.

At first it's very disorientating; not knowing how to craft anything, but it's a pretty simple system. You start with a rock and you can use it to bang on trees (for wood), bang on specific boulders that look like someone is trying to hide a well-pump (that actually took me a long time to figure out, I was banging my rock on the walls of mountains for a while and getting nothing), and killing animals (for food and cloth). Then when you press tab, on the top of the screen it says "craft" and when you click it it gives you a list of everything you might want to craft including guns and ammo.If you don't have the needed supplies, it tells you. I managed to build a house, cook a bunch of food, make arrows, I even secured an air-drop and got some c4 and a metal door.It was super fun. I did a lot of Skyrim mountain climbing, but as I was having a hard time getting higher I kept saying to myself "No one is going to do this in order to find my house."

The server I was playing on was perfect for me. I pressed f1 and pasted this:
net.connect rusthaven.net:28065
which is a newish server. So I saw people plenty of times, I headed for the mountains after being killed buy a couple of guys who had a pistol. And then I built a campfire and waited until dawn to go and gather wood. There are a lot of plains and you can find high points and get an idea of how many settlements, animals, resources, and people are in that area. 
The best moment was when I saw a guy running from a large cat. At first, I hid behind a tree because I thought he might try to kill me. But then I took out my bow and arrow that I had been practicing with and killed the cat. He runs up to me and says " ..tha..thankyou." in a completely sincere way. It was so cool.

The best moment was when I saw a guy running from a large cat. At first, I hid behind a tree because I thought he might try to kill me. But then I took out my bow and arrow that I had been practicing with and killed the cat. He runs up to me and says " ..tha..thankyou." in a completely sincere way. It was so cool.

sounds fun! I like how there's rudimentary weapons that you have to practice using instead of only ballistic weapons. I've read that the structures of the game decay, and I hope the devs add weapon decay as well since it fits the theme. I'm not keen on the theme of resource-rich players killing anybody/everybody, and that would help level the field.

You secured an air drop and had someone thank you for helping them? Sounds like got pretty fucking lucky with your server selection.

Here's my Rust story, which I felt compelled to write down after last night. It's a bit long, but I'm not sure how else to tell it.

I had only played Rust twice before last night. Both times a man with a balaclava and a large gun promptly shot me in the face and stole my meager supplies within minutes of spawning. A few days ago, I noticed a post on the Giant Bomb forums about a new server a reader had started focused around collaboration and not killing each other on sight. When I logged in, I was glad to find out that this really was the case. Within a few minutes of signing on, an established player had offered to give me some supplies to get me started and pointed me in the direction of a larger settlement of players. Another led me around to spots where good items frequently spawned, and yet another helped me build a house.

It is with this last player (who I’ll refer to by an abbreviated version of his in-game name, Caboose) that my real story begins. After helping me build my house, Caboose asked if I could help him get to the large Giant Bomb settlement. I agreed, figuring that I owed him for helping me to build my house, and that this sounded like an awesome piece of emergent gameplay/story. I followed Caboose across the road, into a large valley where we gathered supplies before heading out. Caboose lead me up the side of a mountain, I assumed in the direction of the settlement. The sunset over the mountain was gorgeous, and it really did feel like we were on a post-apocalyptic adventure, trying desperately to find the last human settlement.

We crossed another valley and Caboose started climbing the mountain on the other side. At this point, I started to wonder if he knew where he was going. I later learned that while I thought he was sure where he was going, he was under the impression that I knew where we were going. It was on this second mountain that our journey took a tragic turn. I missed a jump across a crevasse and fell down inside. Caboose, in his attempt to help me get out fell in as well.

When we told other players what had happened, I was surprised to see that a few of them immediately started searching for us. We fired off flares and gunshots to help them find us, but since we didn’t have a clear idea of where we were, they all ended up searching in the wrong part of the map. After a while, I just asked Caboose to shoot me. He reluctantly agreed, and a single shot from his shotgun brought up Rust’s signature “You Are Dead” screen.

At this point, I just want to say that my character’s life, from carving out a meager existence with the help of a few friendly survivors to dying tragically after crossing two mountain ranges and failing to help his companion reach his destination felt like a complete story in itself. Of course, I respawned, because, video games.

After gathering enough food to make the journey back across the mountains, I headed out. It was now night, which in Rust makes navigation nearly impossible. I found my way back to the valley below the mountain where Caboose was still trapped when my torch ran out of fuel. With no other way to navigate, I asked Caboose to fire off the few rounds he had left to help me locate him. Faintly, I heard a few small pops off to my left, and I started walking. It took some time, but I was able to climb back to where I had fallen, and I soon saw the glow of Caboose’s torch.

We had tried to drop objects down to climb out, but the uneven ground at the bottom of the pit made it impossible. Our only choice was for Caboose to toss as much of his gear as I could carry to me, and for me to put him out of his misery with single bullet (actually, it took two now that I think about it).

We met up back in town, and I gave Caboose his gear back. I’ll probably play Rust again soon, but I’m not sure any story that comes out of the game will soon match the tale of when Caboose and I tried and failed to cross the mountains to the Giant Bomb settlement.

(PS - I attached a couple of pictures since I got an error when trying to send embed them. Also available in a more readable format on Medium)

post-33941-0-12537200-1391520866_thumb.jpg

post-33941-0-29645900-1391520876_thumb.jpg

That was an awesome story. I'm going in the opposite direction with the game. I'm planning on using it as a violent hobo simulator. For me this game is about scarce resources and territory. I love hearing a gunshot, stopping what I'm doing, and running for the hills. I'm like that kid who was raised by wolves.

Now you've gone and made it sound like a game worth playing.

I am enjoying the game far more than I expected to. I haven't played Daisy, so I don't know how it compares, but Rust feels like FarCry 2 mixed with Minecraft. Yeah, I said it.

I typically spend about an hour running away from anyone I see and squirreling away as many stones as I can, finding a place in the mountains where I can cook my chicken without anyone in the fields seeing my fire, crafting a bow, and returning to the field at daybreak to hunt and gather more resources, only to be killed. Then I turn off the game and do the same thing the next day. I would think tht it would frustrate the hell out of me, but I'm having a blast. The first deer I kill with a bow gives me a genuine feeling of pride and accomplishment every time.

I was harvesting resources on a new-to-me server yesterday and I heard footsteps so I turned around and there was a guy pointing a gun at me. I was like "Are you going to kill me?" and he was like "I don't plan to." I started some small chat about whether or not resources spawned in this valley frequently and he told me they do, pointed out his house, asked me how much I had managed to craft. It was a nice chat. I asked him what he thought about me settling in this valley and he said that he thought it would be fine. He even suggested a spot right near his house. I realized later that he was just as appreciative of me being friendly as I was of him. I told him that this was too out-in-the-open for my taste and that I would build a house in a squirrel hole around here. We parted ways. I harvested one more rock to look non-chalant and started running away as fast as I could (I pressed the ctrl key). As I was running away from the nice man with the gun, I said to myself "Ya know? A good neighbor might be valuable in this game." So I started walking back and ended up building a shed nearby.

Later on, I had crafted my first pistol and 20 bullets and I had just finished installing a new door on my shed. I see in global chat that my neighbor was having trouble with someone who was in the process of looting his house. I grabbed my gun and started running across the valley. Then I couldn't remember if I had shut the door, went back, saw that yes indeed it was shut, and started hauling ass to go help my neighbor. I don't know what happened, I got to his house and shouted through voice chat to see if he was home, but no one responded I think things may have gone poorly for him and he logged out in frustration. I also considered the possibility that it wasn't actually his house he pointed out to me.

This game is weird.

This game is weird.

I have a short sequel to my other story. A few nights after my failed mountain-climbing expedition, I logged back into the same server to continue building my house and regain some of the loot I lost over the course of the journey. Things seemed to be running smoothly enough with the server chat remaining friendly for a while and players seemingly helping each other more than they were harming each other. Then, he showed up. In spite of the quasi-utopian community we had built on our server, a player joined who was fixed on the goal of fucking things up for everyone. He took to killing everyone on sight, offering to give gear, only to shoot people who came to collect it, and generally taunting everyone else over the server chat.

Things only got worse when the airdrop came in. I saw the packages fall from my house in Rad Town valley and I started running in that direction. I managed to clean out the first one without any trouble (I ended up with 250 9mm bullets, shotgun shells, m4 bullets, some grenades, and some health kits) and I contemplating heading back. But, the appeal of two more packages was too much for me to pass up, and I hadn't seen anyone else in the area. I started climbing the hill where the second package dropped when I saw a player in a red shirt rise up from the ridge. He pulled out an M4 and started firing immediately. As I tried to run, a bullet caught me in the back and I saw the "bleeding" indicator kick in. My red-shirted assailant followed me around the other side of the hill and I pulled out my shotgun to meet him. As he rounded the corner, I fired. At this point, I realized my attacker was Caboose, who you might remember was my travelling companion from my last post. He thought I was the player who was killing on sight (or so he said). I managed to patch myself up and handed Caboose a bandage to do the same. As I did this, a zombie came up from behind me, finished me off and Caboose bled out before he could apply the bandage. When I respawned, my gear was gone and the airdrops had been fully looted.

Yeah, this game is weird.