Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 140: The Customer's Always An Asshole

I said it on Twitter and it's worth saying here, but Day Z is an example of why libertarians are full of shit.

Yet to finish the pod, but kinda shocked at Sean's Day Z talk. It reminded me of those stories of how a kid who was bullied goes to another school, befriends the bullies and then has to perform the same act that the old bullies inflicted on him. Apart from with bleach.

EDIT: grammar

DayZ sounds pretty fascinating, but I just don't want to expose myself to that kind of abuse. I'm dissatisfied enough with my 9-5 routine. I like "hard video games" but ultimately I prefer multiplayer to be working together to overcome some problem. You know, baby games. 

DayZ sounds pretty fascinating, but I just don't want to expose myself to that kind of abuse. I'm dissatisfied enough with my 9-5 routine. I like "hard video games" but ultimately I prefer multiplayer to be working together to overcome some problem. You know, baby games. 

I feel the same way.  While I think the systems present in DayZ are cool in theory, it's not something I would enjoy myself in practice.  Maybe if there was (is?) a pure co-op mod I might be more interested, but it sounds like that would take a lot of the tension away.

I accept that most people hate it, but I really love reading board game rulebooks, especially if they're good (which, admittedly, they often aren't). However, I do it by myself, before sitting down to play. Nothing's worse than reading a rulebook while trying to explain a game at the same time.

In any case, far and away the best way to learn a board or card game is to be taught by somebody who knows it really well. I suspect the same is true of video games where the learning curve is not part of the fun.

Oh yeah, I love reading rule books as well!  I've done it for fun, even when I know I'm not going to be able to play a new game for days or weeks.  Back in the good old days of 100+ page manuals for PC games, I would take the manual to school/work with me and read it on breaks.  But I don't know how many times I've sat down to play a new game with people, and we had to burn an hour trying to figure out how to play before getting started.  Once you've got a few people sitting around, and one person is stuck speed reading the rules, that's the situation I would want to avoid. 

Honestly I don't think I will ever play DayZ but I would totally listen to a podcast of people just telling stories of the crazy shit that happens in that game. The devs should just start one up, just a call for submissions of people telling their own stories, and feature the best ones on the game's website.

DayZ is like a wargame to me, in that I'm sort of fascinated that it exists, and tales from it seem intricate and deep, but it just sounds like it would be a whole lot of work and unpleasantness for me to actually experience first-hand.

The first time I ever heard about DayZ was from a friend at work. Since we're both Canadian, he pronounced it "Day Zed" instead of "Day Zee" and it took me ages to realize that the game that the Thumbs had started talking about was the same one.

Also, work friend never told me what the game was about so for whatever reason I just assumed it would be some Lumines deal called "DaZed."

I've played DayZ and some cool things have happened to my friends but never to me. I just get shot. And then shot again. I keep hoping I'll get kidnapped or whatever, but it doesn't happen. ):

Granted, I've only played the original mod. I don't own the standalone edition. Though I'm tempted to use a bit of my ecksmas money to buy it after hearing Sean's stories. But will I really play it.

A DayZ podcast is the sort of thing I could imagine myself doing either back when I was a teenager and had free time or some day in the future if/when I have a job that doesn't suck up all my free time. Stories that come from games are so interesting to me and DayZ is like a story machine.

When the Thumbs discussed the idea of Vlambeer or some other group doing a Patreon to fund game development as if it were a hypothetical I wanted to yell out "Porpentine does it already!" but I didn't because they would not have heard me. But yes, Porpentine is doing the Patreon game thing, so there you go!

Also I loved that there was an email about what producers do. Producing stuff (games, movies, software, whatever) seems like a job I would be really good at, but it's never something I've seriously pursued or even vaguely looked into, so it's always great to hear more about that side of things, because it's so often ignored in favor of relatively sexier, creative stuff.

Not too long ago I used hover.com/wizard to get 10% off my domain name registration: do you think that URL stacks with the Breckon code? That would be cool.

Yeah I definitely let out an audible "fuck" when this episode started with "hey use code Breckon" because so recently I had just used the outmoded slash wizard.

The first time I ever heard about DayZ was from a friend at work. Since we're both Canadian, he pronounced it "Day Zed" instead of "Day Zee" and it took me ages to realize that the game that the Thumbs had started talking about was the same one.

Also, work friend never told me what the game was about so for whatever reason I just assumed it would be some Lumines deal called "DaZed."

And now I'm going to hear it as Day Zed in my head every time I see it. 

And now I'm going to hear it as Day Zed in my head every time I see it. 

Well, while reading that something in my head decided I'm going to hear it as "daisy" now, so you can try and go for that instead. On that note, someone should make a DayZ daisy mod. Give the zombies some nice garlands or something.

Anyone have a link to the Chris Remo Spelunky Video starring Sean Vanaman?

(I would find it myself, but that's a lot of spelunky videos to sift through).

Anyone have a link to the Chris Remo Spelunky Video starring Sean Vanaman?

(I would find it myself, but that's a lot of spelunky videos to sift through).

I don't remember what day it is but I'm pretty sure the video length is 9:22.

Well, while reading that something in my head decided I'm going to hear it as "daisy" now, so you can try and go for that instead. On that note, someone should make a DayZ daisy mod. Give the zombies some nice garlands or something.

Or make a mod that replaces all the zombies with models based on Zed from Men in Black.  It suddenly becomes a sci-story in the MiB universe where experimenting with alien technology resulted in Zed being cloned billions of times, overrunning the world.  The beginning of this apocalypse happens in MiB3, which is why Zed isn't in it.

Edited to add: Oh god, I just watched the run guest starring Sean.  That was priceless, and one of the most entertaining Spelunky runs I've ever watched.  "I blame myself."

"Bespoke"

Is this a in-studio term that became part of Telltale's nomenclature?  

Somehow my mind's instinct was to think it was a shorthand for Bike Spoke, which made little sense.  Now that I've looked it up, I get it, but it's an odd choice.

I picked up using "bespoke" in that context from Irrational.

Is the goty.cx coming out soon?

It'll be out before the next episode! Sorry for the delay.