Sign in to follow this  
clyde

868-HACK

I just bought this for the iphone and I'm enjoying it. I have no experience with turn-based roguelikes on tiles. Does 868-HACK add something to the genre? I don't have enough knowledge of the genre to know. This game is pretty much exactly what I imagined a turn-based roguelike on tiles would be.

I tend to think of Michael Brough designs as a class unto themselves. I wouldn't say 868-HACK adds anything to the genre so much as it takes a lot out. It's sort of the Unity of Command of roguelikes, it's such a tight design it becomes almost puzzle-like. The deterministic mechanics used to really bother me a lot, but I think that just means it is really important to internalize all the rules whereas in a traditional roguelike that would be nearly impossible to do. I don't think this is really anything like playing NetHack or ADOM even if they share a few game design ideas.

It's more that it takes stuff away: A typical roguelike has large maps, whereas this restricts each level to a 6x6 grid.

My strategy changed significantly when I realized that step allows you to walk over occupied tiles.

My strategy changed significantly when I realized that step allows you to walk over occupied tiles.

????

?!?!?!?!?!?!?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This game is the best. I've been playing it for months. I also liked his previous game Zagaa, but 868 does everything Zagaa does, but better (Except when you load it up, there isnt a deranged shout of Zagaaaaa).

Mostly I like to get the direct damaging spells, reset and just nuke them out.

Pro tip: using .ANTI-Vwhen the enemies are about to hatch kills all the viruses with one hit. I had a .SHOW active so I saw what happened.

I find myself saving $ and energy until I have a hallway and .DEBUG and then just pecking them away at the bottle-neck; doesn't always work.

I did not know that! DOes .Dbomb work the same?

Delay can be insanely good as well.

.D_BOM does seem to have a similar effect. I guess it's because the rainbow-egg hatchlings only take one hit to destroy. I'm actually glad I noticed this because before I did, .SHOW seemed kinda useless.

I haven't unlocked .DELAY yet. I keep getting stupid greedy and dying. What does it do?

It delays the baddies spawning out of their shells by three turns. You can run around killing them easily if you can afford to spam it.

I like that the game unlocks new abilities after you've successfully completed a run, so future games have more variables.

Yes, like opening a present when you first encounter them! Risk of Rain has a similar mechanic.

I'm "cognitive bias" on game center if anyone wants leaderboard interaction.

Yay, it's finally out on my platform of choice! I've been hearing a whole bunch of other indie game devs rave about this almost nonstop for the last 18 months, so despite assuming it will be too hard for me I picked it up immediately.

As predicted, it's really kicking my ass. I must have made 30 or 40 attempts in a row, sometimes dying within a couple of turns, before realising how powerful .STEP could be. Once I figured out a strategy, I managed to survive a whole run within another few attempts. So far the .STEP and .EXCH combo is my favourite.

I'm so far from knowing what I'm doing that it's not funny, but I love the way the game changes the instant you realise you'll be able to survive a run. Suddenly your entire focus isn't on survival, but on earning as many points as possible before getting out, without miscalculating and squandering your success thus far.

I just noticed that the Steam price is $5.65. It was released on the 27th. Clever.

The name 868-HACK comes from Brog's original 7DRL entry, 86856527

Something about this suddenly clicked for me. Since my last post I've only made two more runs, but I played them much more slowly and thoughtfully and survived both. I've discovered the power of .SCORE, and doubled the score from my first successful run.

I think initially I assumed there was more "stuff" in the game, so I was sort of trying to race to the end of a run to avoid too many encounters. That was the worst possible idea! I'm so used to roguelikes with huge amounts of hidden information, complex enemies and worlds, and time limits in one form or another, which require you to move quickly and just hope you don't get unlucky with encounters.

None of that applies here; apart from the progs you unlock by beating runs, everything you see on the screen is it. There's only the four enemy types, and their behaviours will never change. Moving or siphoning will always cost a turn, using a prog never will. Credits and energy are never useful for anything except progs, so if you have any left over you might as well work out how to earn a few extra points.

atte, I'm starting to understand what you meant by the density of this game.

James Lantz has a pretty cool write up on why he considers it a perfect game.