melmer

Alien Isolation - The nightmare of Milky Joe

Empire: Total War came out without any sort of campaign multiplayer, despite it being promised before hand. They then continued to promise that it would be put in, only to finally push it to the next Total War game. Worst of all, the AI could not board boats for at least three months after launch, meaning that if you took over an entire island, you were completely invincible.

So broken single player and no multiplayer. The games come out looking nice and pretty, but there's a bunch of broken features underneath the polish.

Listening to that video gamer video it doesn't sound super promising, sure it'll be worth a singular play-through for the atmosphere and what not but being stalked by an alien for 8-10 hours will probably start to wear a little thin. Hopefully there will be a hell of a lot more to this game then currently meets the eye

Engineer. You know that shit will fuck you up

prometheus_engineer_smiling_gif_by_milky

Bizarro Jake Rodkin

Listening to that Video gamer video it doesn't sound super promising, sure it'll be worth a singular play-through for the atmosphere and what not but being stalked by an alien for 8-10 hours will probably start to wear a little thin.

Yeah, that so far is my problem with it, so far. Pretty tired that being a AAA game means it has to be over 10 hours and be 60 bucks, rather than be 3-6 hours and 20 bucks. A shorter game would instill the tension till the very end. 

Also, I doubt they'd use the Engineer as an enemy, since he's year before Alien lore and due to its unsuccessful critical response, not many people are clamoring for more Prometheus stuff. 

Yeah, I was not a Prometheus fan.  There was a lot of interesting stuff going on in that movie, but it ended up feeling like a bit of a directionless mess to me.

There was this Kotaku article from October with some leaked details, like that there would be combat and other enemies, though the sole Alien would be the focus.  And other previews today discussed that there was obviously a crafting system, though no one got to see it in action.  That article had a lot of information that is now months and months old, so it may have changed, but a lot of the rest of it turned out to be very accurate. 

Metroid survival horror: you lose all your equipment at the start and then just never get it back.

It looks like they're nailing the atmosphere, the ship and alien look super good, but the amount of scripted/non-interactive stuff in that gameplay video put me right off. This is kind of a specific complaint, but I'm really tired of first person games with overly detailed animations of you interacting with an object like it's the most interesting fucking thing in the world. "Whoa check out this pencil, I'd better look at it from every conceivable angle before I put it in my inventory!" Who acts this way? Better question: who acts this way when there could be an alien behind them at any given moment?

Metroid survival horror: you lose all your equipment at the start and then just never get it back.

ks34dq1.gif

Shocked and appalled that this is the first time HDS has been virtualised into a child's video game.

Hmm, both missions are pre-order "exclusives" and one is a Gamestop only "exclusive".  I'm sure that's exclusive in the modern context, in which words are temporarily defined by corporations as is deemed most beneficial to their short term sales goals. 

I'd be surprised if the missions don't become available to everyone for a few bucks down the road, because it can't be cheap to pay for the voices and likenesses of that many actors, especially Sigourney Weaver.

Will VR require a re-release? A patch? Will it come VR ready? Anyway they've been using this game to show off sonys VR headset which is probably a year off at least so I'll just wait for the super definitive ultimate VR edition

I signed a change.org petition about this game earlier :) stop exclusive shop DLC pre order bull shit or some bull shit

Nothing says isolation and horror on a desolate space station like CELEBRATORY TEAM FORTRESS 2 HATS!

post-33601-0-36468800-1411491154_thumb.jpg

You can only wear it during a Halloween/Full Moon event though.. (yes, I am a chump and got them. Perfect storm of having held off pre-ordering until I had money to spare and some sweet hats for my TF2 addiction)

I mostly got it for the Season Pass though. I crave that DLC.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. I kind of got the sense that Colonial Marines would be shit based on little tells in the pre-release trailers and such, but this game is ticking all the right boxes. I'm actually really worried that the game will be fantastic but I'll be too goddamn scared to play it, I can't even play Amnesia or Outlast.

On the subject of existing Alien/s/vs Predator games, while I absolutely loved Rebellion's first Alien vs Predator game back in 1999, I've never been able to stop thinking about a Commodore 64 (and maybe other platforms) game just called Alien. It's based on the first movie, and is a kind of a turn-based strategy game with real-time 'ticks', where you control the surviving members of the Nostromo as they try to either kill the Alien (difficult) or at least escape the ship via shuttle once the number of survivors has been whittled down enough to fit everyone on board. I think finding and capturing Jones (the ship's cat, if you don't remember) was a requirement to board the shuttle. The initial crew member to die and the android were randomly generated, and even if you escaped you could still lose if you had inadvertently taken the android with you. It had a pretty intense atmosphere, since the only sounds were the simulated heartbeat of the selected character (which would go up if they were particularly stressed or isolated) and sounds that indicated character movement, which also included Jones and the alien. This whole description is probably just a hot mess unless you've actually seen or played the game, so

video probably outlines things a bit better.

There were some pretty major problems with the game; the interface was so unwieldy and atrocious that even trying to manage three characters was like playing a ranked game of Starcraft, and as far as I know there was absolutely no way to tell who the android was, so it was just a bullshit guessing game that could screw up your progress. But despite its age I think it's still a pretty unique game and one with a lot of ideas worth exploring with modern game design sensibilities. If I had the time, the resources, the talent and the motivation, I'd try to make a riff on this game myself.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. I kind of got the sense that Colonial Marines would be shit based on little tells in the pre-release trailers and such, but this game is ticking all the right boxes. I'm actually really worried that the game will be fantastic but I'll be too goddamn scared to play it, I can't even play Amnesia or Outlast.

On the subject of existing Alien/s/vs Predator games, while I absolutely loved Rebellion's first Alien vs Predator game back in 1999, I've never been able to stop thinking about a Commodore 64 (and maybe other platforms) game just called Alien. It's based on the first movie, and is a kind of a turn-based strategy game with real-time 'ticks', where you control the surviving members of the Nostromo as they try to either kill the Alien (difficult) or at least escape the ship via shuttle once the number of survivors has been whittled down enough to fit everyone on board. I think finding and capturing Jones (the ship's cat, if you don't remember) was a requirement to board the shuttle. The initial crew member to die and the android were randomly generated, and even if you escaped you could still lose if you had inadvertently taken the android with you. It had a pretty intense atmosphere, since the only sounds were the simulated heartbeat of the selected character (which would go up if they were particularly stressed or isolated) and sounds that indicated character movement, which also included Jones and the alien. This whole description is probably just a hot mess unless you've actually seen or played the game, so

video probably outlines things a bit better.

There were some pretty major problems with the game; the interface was so unwieldy and atrocious that even trying to manage three characters was like playing a ranked game of Starcraft, and as far as I know there was absolutely no way to tell who the android was, so it was just a bullshit guessing game that could screw up your progress. But despite its age I think it's still a pretty unique game and one with a lot of ideas worth exploring with modern game design sensibilities. If I had the time, the resources, the talent and the motivation, I'd try to make a riff on this game myself.

Man, that video does make look like a mess to control, but your description is really compelling. That just sounds like it would be a gripping experience, particularly with a more modern take on the design.