melmer

Alien Isolation - The nightmare of Milky Joe

1389118469-alien-isolation-logo.png

YouTube embeds aren't working so your'll just have to have a look ere:

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/01/sega-announces-alien-isolation-pc.html

Huh, I wasn't expecting that. A big budget amnesia game (disclaimer, I've never actually played an amnesia game)

Anything 'Alien' will sell like hot cakes, but I'd imagine there will be a lot of disgruntled shooter fans giving this a 1 star amazon review after their ill informed purchase

It sounds neat, and it definitely sounds like another resultant example of Amnesia's profound impact on the horror game genre.

This'd probably be one of the first big budget Amnesia-likes from a firmly established AAA studio though, wouldn't it?

Oh my god, this looks fucking awesome. Female protagonist, emphasis on survival, no guns, few enemies, clear inspiration from Alien, not Aliens, as is the norm in Video games...FUCK, THIS LOOKS SO GOOD PLEASE DON'T SUCK.

Here are the videos from that site, plus an exclusive leak from the game by the games at Video gamerTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Xnqk12RWWUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dlgg9C5XqKE

PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK.

It'll probably suck :)

The first thing that came to mind after I watched the trailer was that the ending will probably be some glorified quick time event. Press x to fire harpoon at alien

PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK PLEASE DON'T SUCK.

I'm done being excited for Alien games until they prove me wrong.  I actually think something like the canned Obsidian Alien RPG would be a great fit for the franchise.  Permadeth with squad combat ala Xcom, but with more of a horror motif going on. 

It'll probably suck :)

The first thing that came to mind after I watched the trailer was that the ending will probably be some glorified quick time event. Press x to fire harpoon at alien

A great ending would be a twist on the Aliens ending, let you start with a mech, but then take it away from you and make you mostly powerless again.

If the majority of the game will be running and hiding, I'd imagine the obvious story arc would have you stalking and attacking the alien in the end game :/ hopefully they'll do something a little more unexpected

It would be fantastic if they introduce an Prometheus engineer in to the game at some point, hiding from that fucker would be far scarier than an alien

This is the first Alien game I've ever seen that actually looks tonally the same as Alien, which is rad.

That being said, I'd wait on it what with Colonial Marines having been so awful.

Interesting. I wonder if you were thinking of SOMA by the Amnesia devs, Mington? That's very sci-fi horror and still a WIP.

Anyway, I don't suppose it's unreasonable to point out that Creative Assembly haven't got any sort of track record for producing first person or survival horror games. Although Viking: Battle for Asgard didn't turn out too badly.

Damn, after playing Outlast and Machine for Pigs, I'm not sure I care for this kind of game anymore.

Not to mention I'm sure they'll "AAA"-ify the game by making it a slog and much longer than necessary, even Machine for Pigs felt longer than it needed to be. A game of this type NEEDS to be short to maintain the suspense for me, but I'm sure it won't be. The longer the game is, the scary it is for me. :| 

Bah! So much pessimism in here! Sure, the chances for it being a big steaming pile of shit are quite high seeing how AAA game devs have treated the series recently, but that's still no reason to give up hope, as grossly corny as that may sound. We've had as many good Alien/Aliens game as we've had bad ones, and this could be one of the good ones! 

Damn, after playing Outlast and Machine for Pigs, I'm not sure I care for this kind of game anymore.

I'd be ok with an Outlast approach, with a bit more inventory management and survival stuff. Also, my post is updated with the video gamerTV video, derp.

Interesting. I wonder if you were thinking of SOMA by the Amnesia devs, Mington?

SOMA Came to mind (it actually popped up when I google outlast) but I was trying to think of an amnesia type game that you would consider a full retail priced game. Like £40 boxed console game. I don't think any exist? i don't know if this is intended to be a full boxed retail game (whatever that means) but if it is, there'll probably be some padding. Maybe I'm just being cynical in my old age, but there's no way that this game will end up having just one alien in it

I'm pretty sure they announced when Outlast comes to PS4 it'll be a PS+ title

Sign me up for an AAA Amnesia clone with a sweet license. Apparently they've re-recorded the original Alien soundtrack with an all new orchestra in high quality so in my mind this game has already done a good thing.

Seeing a whole lot of Outlast in this. You can even hide in lockers!

Also: Outlast is really good you guys.

Okay, that Cara pieces really sells it and raises my hopes a notch.  The access to the archives and the kind of details they are working in (like making sure that the architecture of the station matches the original ship and that decals and logos are accurate) is the kind of obsessive attention to detail that can really help elevate something like this. 

We've had as many good Alien/Aliens game as we've had bad ones, and this could be one of the good ones! 

Really? 'Cause there's a lot of Alien games and I can only think of maybe three good ones.

FWIW I don't think attention to details from the original film will have any real tangible effect on the quality of the game. Only good design will do that, which is apart from the source material. I mean, Colonial Marines hired actors from Aliens and did all sorts of background research.

Interesting. I wonder if you were thinking of SOMA by the Amnesia devs, Mington? That's very sci-fi horror and still a WIP.

Anyway, I don't suppose it's unreasonable to point out that Creative Assembly haven't got any sort of track record for producing first person or survival horror games. Although Viking: Battle for Asgard didn't turn out too badly.

Creative Assembly has a track record of producing incomplete and buggy games.

I hope it's good, but I'm not hopeful.

Creative Assembly has a track record of producing incomplete and buggy games.

I hope it's good, but I'm not hopeful.

More to the point, they have a track record of producing games that give great first impressions, regardless of the games' true merits. I'm with you, sad as that is.

I didn't really know a lot about The Creative Assembly.  What a strange history of games at that company.  Mostly Total War, with a couple of branchoffs that don't sound like they panned out very well.  But the TW series has been pretty solid for a decade.