Sign in to follow this  
TychoCelchuuu

ObjectiveGameReviews.com - A Subtle Journey of Discovery

Received 7 hours ago to two of the Objective Game Reviews email addresses:

Hello, first of all Congratulations for the web and for all the great work you are doing with the website.

I and some friends to love video games discovered your website and we liked to much the idea, so we want to make a website just like yours but in Spanish: same name, same banner, same desing but with our own reviews (we will not use your reviews, we respect your work) and of course everything in Spanish, We will not use advertising in the web and we dont expect to win anny money for this. So we ask your permission to do so.

If for any reason you dont like the idea or anything we will not do it. In that case we will do something different (but we expect you will like the idea). Anyway, in the FAQ of the web, we will have a section where we will explain that our web is bassed in your web and we will refer users to the original website.

So please contact with me using this mail and forgive me for my bad English.

Huh. What are you thinking, out of curiosity?

The part of my brain that is trusting thinks "oh cool" but the part of my brain that has played DayZ thinks "probably some elaborate scam / trap / other bad thing."

I don't think it's a scam or anything. Mostly what I'm thinking is whether it's a good idea or not. On the one hand, it would be kind of cool to have a Spanish branch of the site, especially if they reviewed some of the same games we've reviewed, and said basically the same thing, then gave them a different score. Or maybe it would be funnier if the score were the same but they mentioned different objective stuff. I don't know.

On the other hand, I'm wary of having the logo and the name attached to another site (even if it has a page that acknowledges that it's separate from my site) without having any real quality control over the site. I also think it would also be funny if there were another objective review site doing the exact same thing but with a different logo and name ("Games Reviewed Objectively" or something).

So I don't know.

In other news the Horizon people have asked me if the site can review the game but I already have a few reviews on my plate and a 4X is kind of a lot of work to review since you have to play it a lot, so I told them not to send a review key unless I find someone to review it. Anyone want to review it? This is an offer for people who have written for the site - if you haven't, I'd ask you to write another review first so that we can know you can write objective reviews.

I don't think you should dilute your brand by allowing them to use the same name and logo and etc.  :)

Do they seem aware of the true nature of the site?

I would also agree that you should stay unaffiliated.  Maybe give them your blessing to make their own version (because it does sound like a great idea to have 2 objective sites) but like subbes said, don't dilute your own brand.

yeah +1 to subbes and SecretAsianMan. if you allow them to associate with your brand you might lose control of the situation.

Thanks for the input everyone. I responded with this:

Hola Fran. Mi espanol es muy mal pero trataré usar espanol aqui (gracias Google Translate!). Soy Danny, el editor ejecutivo de Objective Game Reviews. He pensado de su propuesto y pienso que me gustaria si su y sus amigos usan un otro logo y nombre por su sitio (por ejemplo, "Games Reviewed Objectively" o algo similar). No me gustaria diluir la marca de Objective Game Reviews - pienso que tener uno sitio es mas simple y fácil por controlar el tono y las otras cosas (copias criticas de videojuegos, etc).

Es posible que voy a cambiar mi mente si tiene razóns irresistible o algo como esto, pero ahora prefiero que no usa el nombre "Objective Game Reviews" y el logo y todo mas.

Gracias por su complementos por mi sitio.

Un abrazo,

Danny

Editor, Objective Game Reviews

Basically I said I'd rather not dilute the brand so I'd prefer if they used their own name + logo and stuff, although if he has any compelling reasons for me to change my mind I'm happy to listen to them. Thanks, high school spanish classes.

So, I've seen a couple of objective reviews posted around the web but I had no idea that this was hatched by someone around here. Now that I know (at least via internet) the creator, I just wanted to say :tup:  :tup:  

Objective Game Review Objective Progress Report and General Update:

So the transition into "stage 2" of Objective Game Review's life, which is "start reviewing new games too," is going pretty well. I've reviewed stuff like Insurgency, Strike Vector, Probably Archery, The Floor is Jelly, and Jazzpunk. Everyone I've asked for a review code has given me a review code (Double Fine eventually came through with a Broken Age code - they're pretty busy over there I guess since it took them a little while, but they were there for me!) except Square Enix when I asked for a Thief code - they said I'm "on the request grid." I think that means one of three things:

1) I might get a review copy.

2) I won't get a review copy.

3) I need to ride my lightcycle on the request grid and vanquish my opponents. If I am the last left standing I will receive a review copy.

So that's exciting. I have another batch of new games to review lined up, including Cube & Star: An Arbitrary Love, Journal (by one of the Kairo developers), and Paragon (technically a remake of an old game I've never heard of). It's pretty cool to be able to play all these indies games when they come out, and it also feels good to be able to advertise for them in a slightly more effective way than my usual thing, which is just to make forum threads on forums all over the Internet (which is not to say that this isn't also effective, but I think getting a review up for something like The Floor is Jelly, which doesn't have a lot of reviews out there, helps a fair amount too). I'm also slowly working my way through the backlog of not-new games I got review keys for.

One downside of reviewing indie games is that it's less easy to be snarky and sarcastic, or more accurately even if I can, I feel worse about it. For AAA games I don't feel bad making jokes at their expense but I don't really want to rip in to a cute indie game. I jokingly gave a low-ish score to Flappy Bird and I'm already feeling sort of bad about even that.

As I speak, I have one visitor on the website from Marion, Ohio, who found the site by Googling "what is objective of flappy bird." So that's cool. The site is up to 326 twitter followers which is funny. I'm installing Dark Souls even though I don't really have time to get into it because it's one of the most commonly searched games on the site that doesn't already have a review. The Last of Us is also up there, which is actually making me think I want to borrow or buy a PS3 just to review it. I think I'm going crazy!

Holy shit. I had seen the site going around Twitter, but I never realized it was born from the IT forums. This makes me so objectively happy.

Input: REQUEST GRID

Translating ...

Translating ...

Translating ...

Translation: EXCEL FILE

I logged into the real time stats for the website just now and noticed ~30 people reading the Far Cry 2 and 3 reviews, all in Montreal. I guess UbiSoft Montreal must've found the site!

1) I love how the site's philosophy treats all games as important, not just well-marketed titles.

2) The last paragraph of your Bioshock Infinite spoiler review is objectively fantastic.  :tup:

I guess the Request Grid ate my Thief review copy request, so between that and the guy who made Banished not responding to my email I've racked up the site's first two "no review for you" situations. Kind of tempted to buy Thief since people keep searching for it on my site's search thingy and it would be fun to post that review simultaneously with the original Thief review.

I've also been planning out more of the site's future - right now we're in stage 2.2 (review newly released games in addition to filling out the back catalog) (the .5 is for Twine Tuesdays which I just started - every Tuesday the site reviews a Twine game) and I think I've got something like six or eight stages planned in total or something. The # of hits I get each day have been creeping up by minuscule degrees - I imagine things will go a bit faster if I start reviewing more popular games. So with that said I just sent a request for a Titanfall review copy and I'm trying to think of other high profile releases to try my luck with. I might review the new BF4 DLC when it comes out because the China Rising review was pretty popular.

On the docket right now are Disciples III: Resurrection, which is going to take more for-fucking-ever to play through, and Paragon, a cool indie puzzle game I had never heard of that's kicking my ass, plus the backlog of older games people sent me review codes for.

Running a video game review website is fun!

This banner is currently at the top of Joystiq.  Pretty sure that text usually just has some semi-witty quip that hints at the review.

post-33601-0-12833500-1393483934_thumb.jpg