Sign in to follow this  
TychoCelchuuu

ObjectiveGameReviews.com - A Subtle Journey of Discovery

The first seriously unsatisfied customer:

iFiX7HfmrxzUB.PNG

This is why I'd be hesitant about putting a number to any of these things. Would you consider removing the number? That's a personal opinion and not objective by an meaning of the word.

hey with regard to traffic and such, would you mind if I posted it to metafilter?

edit: k, since you seem to not be on idleforums anymore, I'm a go ahead. Apologies in advance if it causes you any issues.

I'm kind of shocked by the amount of people who don't get the joke.

Seriously?

"The story also has jokes."

"If the player beats the final level, they win."

How are people not getting this?

I have been paid for writing reviews before; a Bravely Default objective review would be for shits and giggles.

hey with regard to traffic and such, would you mind if I posted it to metafilter?

edit: k, since you seem to not be on idleforums anymore, I'm a go ahead. Apologies in advance if it causes you any issues.

It's going to take something Kotaku-level to worry the site at this point, and even then I might be fine now that I've ugpraded the hosting and made the back end stuff much more efficient. Metafilter is hardly making a dent. Thanks for posting it there, though!

This blog post someone wrote from one of those tweets is hilariously obtuse.

http://www.gjob.co.uk/blog/?p=1860

I always like satire when it's real enough to fool people, so I'm glad my site's inspiring stuff like this! Also, plot twist: he likes Far Cry 2 a lot.

I have been paid for writing reviews before; a Bravely Default objective review would be for shits and giggles.

I appreciate it but mostly my objection to the whole "no pay" thing is that it devalues games criticism and sets up a system where people eager to write reviews and get exposure are exploited by seedier sites that exist just to suck reviews out of enthusiastic people and to sell ads. When the price of games criticism for some bozo's review site (like mine) drops to "I don't need any money, it's just for fun!" you get some yucky stuff going on that I'm not sure I want to help sustain.

I'm kind of shocked by the amount of people who don't get the joke.

Seriously?

"The story also has jokes."

"If the player beats the final level, they win."

How are people not getting this?

I would honestly, actually read this style of review to know what a game is about, or a preview for the same reason. I just scanned the gunpoint one and decided it was serious. And it could be. Most game sites fill it up with "What they feel about it."

But what IS the game? Half the time you listen to Idle Thumbs, and before they go in they have explain what a game actually is for like ten minutes. I'm not sure any game site does this.

Ok, so it's a joke. Remove the scores and maybe it doesn't have to be.

As I said in the other thread: Awesome work Tycho! Definitely keep the scores there. They are the best part of the whole thing.

As for "what is this game about" content, I mainly use GameTrailers' reviews to find that out. Their story-gameplay-presentation segmentation and nearly button-by-button level of breakdown of gameplay mechanics make for dull and often ridiculous reviews but usually give you a fairly good idea of how the game actually plays. 

Gotta admit, for the first two reviews I skimmed over I completely bought it. And as has been mentioned, there is something weirdly, I don't know, relevant about it. If I ever needed to know just what exactly a game is at its core, this is a beautifully concise resource.

If the player beats the final level, they win.

Of course, this gem should probably give it away even for the slightly slower gentlefolk like myself.

Well played, sir, well played.

Interacting with a papier-mâché duck is necessary in order to gain entrance to the house.

Whoa, spoilers!

Haha, love the Gone Home ghosts bit.

Really that's very informative for those expecting the ghost. Now they know not to be disappointed.

"including whether to commit genocide and whether to let a journalist in a tight white tank top shirt onto the player’s ship."

That white tank top, very disconcerting....

This is awesome! I also probably wouldn't mind writing an objective review or two (not regularly) if you decide to let other people write for the site, but yeah I understand the issues with writing for free are kind of complicated.

Twitter suspended the @ObjGameReviews account which is the most irritating thing in the entire fucking world right now. Anyways, fun things:

At 10:29 AM Chris Thursten calls the site "beautifully crafted satire." Then at 10:30 AM he says "at least I think it's satire." By 10:33 he's sure it's satire and he's in a discussion with someone as to whether Tom Francis is behind it. Good arc!

TychoC: I'm especially enjoying your commitment to this, as well as watching people become very confused by it. Bearing no relation whatsoever to my own opinions, I award you an objective :tup: :tup: :tup:

Suspended? But for why?

I was tweeting a lot with a brand new account. twitter's automatic algorithms tagged the account as one to suspend because they thought I was a potential spammer. Now I get to wait a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for some twitter employee to mosey over to take a look and unsuspend me.

The twitter suspension blows.  It's fascinating that this is actually spawning some much needed conversations.  Ya done good work here pigeon.

Figures that Gone Home gets a 9. Tycho obviously is part of the cabal