derskusmacher

nidhogg - Steam release 1/13/14

this is sooooo good. netcode seems fairly smooth from about 1.5 hrs of play. matches are an utter joy. you think you've uncovered all the tactics and then a whole new layer is unraveled - this happens repeatedly.

From what i've been reading, if the game seems to play perfectly online, you're probably host. It sounds like it's pretty consistently awful on the other end of things.

Tried to play against Cine today, for me it was smooth, but Cine said it was unplayable. Given that it's quite twitch based game the big pond between me and Cine isn't helping.

This is my 2014 GOTY.

Just saying.

Anyone want to play, feel free to add me on Steam and try to see if we can play it.

Just had a few super laggy games, so it's definitely not perfect. Still played despite the lag so that says something.

Loving the game, the single player is pretty fulfilling when you're starting out. The differently colored AIs definitely have some different strategies they like to use.

Hopefully the internet play issues get sorted out, but fighting games in general can be tricky to have them work well online. Who knows when I'll get to play this in the same room with someone, my roommate does play games but only casually so I don't think I could con him into it.

I finished SP, or at least I got the achievement for it. But it looks like it's never ending. I thought those color changing characters had something special, but it's simply to indicate that there's no decision on the character's color.

I didn't really recognize any differences in AI, but I probably haven't played enough of it yet.

I got really far by jumping over guys and simply trying to avoid them.

They need to add a feature to all of the games where when someone online says something slanderous to you Nidhogg boots up.

My friend made me play this with him for about 15 minutes this evening. I guess the nidhogg is a worm that also sort of reminds me of a penis.

From what i've been reading, if the game seems to play perfectly online, you're probably host. It sounds like it's pretty consistently awful on the other end of things.

This was my experience, unfortunately.

I managed to connect to someone for the first time yesterday, I wasn't the host. It wasn't as smooth as singleplayer obviously but it wasn't unplayable either. I think it really just comes down to how well you connect to someone.

Somehow I completely missed up until yesterday all the variable gameplay modes like low gravity and sword boomerang! This game that I love just got so much better!

Matchmaking is such a mixed bag. It often doesn't work, and when it does you either have an awesome session or a complete lag fest. There's no way to know the ping of the person you're going to play.

I've heard online game invites are also broken, but I haven't tried that. Whenever they work, I would REALLY like to make a steam group or group of steam friends who would be willing to play Nidhogg online with OK-Good pings. Can we start such a thing?

I was definitely going to head up some sort of steam initiative but after seeing how iffy the online play was in general kind of lost motivation to play the game. Hopefully it will get fixed or looked at in the future.

Networking in gamemaker is actually pretty difficult for realtime online play, but the netcode used in Nidhogg is actually pretty ingenious for the limitations. I read somewhere that messhof used techniques similar to those used in GGPO for that "rollback" effect that looks lagless, but judging from experiences in this thread it could definitely use some work.

I really want to play this, but I find the game is simply too expensive. I'm almost certain that this game will show up in a Steam sale or Humble Bundle soon enough, so I simply can't bring myself to pay full price.