derskusmacher

nidhogg - Steam release 1/13/14

That looks pretty neat, and obviouslyt it's pretty great since everyone's been talking about it for ages, but I'm still not sure what the «hook» is – does it have really interesting controls, or what?

Nidhogg (or at least the versions I've played so far) tends to balance into absurdly tense standoffs and sudden reversals, leading to some incredible matches. He's also managed to get a lot of moves out of a minimal control set without having to resort to any fiddly or complex combos, making it very accessible to new players.

Sounds interesting! I think maybe I kickstarted this ...

The trailer shows what looks like single player game play, but a menu for selecting the number of players – does it have both modes, or what?

It's a local multiplayer game. Two players in a match, but the extra multiplayer stuff it shows is a tournament mode, for whittling a group of players down to one pair for a final.

Yeah this is very much of the Samurai Gunn/Towerfall local multiplayer faux-arcade new school. I'm super psyched to host a game night in the near future so I can finally play all these games.

The animation and settings on that are more compelling than I would have guessed.

nidhogg is the latest in a series of games that makes me wish I had friends who play video games who lived near me. All this local multiplayer stuff is so great if you can find someone to play it with. Makes you wish you were an Idle Thumb or a game dev or a games journalist or something just to be able to play stuff like this.

My secret hope is that these lead to a resurgence of actual functioning arcades. There's some cool work being done in NYC by places like Babycastles and NYU's game center that I try to participate in as I am able but it's all still very niche. But yeah, without a groundswell of some sort I can't see these types of games reaching the broader audience of solitary players spread across the globe.

Eww I don't want to go hang out at a place with other gamers. I've seen the things they post in the YouTube comments section. I just want friends.

Hah don't worry, the venn diagram of people who post on youtube and people who go outside is two circles on opposite ends of the galaxy.

:/

I figured this would have some sort of internet play. Kind of deflated about it now since the only friend who would even maybe, possibly, give it a sideways glance is going to be living in another state for four months for a work assignment.

I've definitely seen people claiming that this will have online play, but that might just be wishful thinking on their end.

Stuff like this and Samurai Gunn are super, super appealing to me, but i am just never ever going to play a local multiplayer game on my PC.

It's a shame, that trailer looks amazing. (The fighting system looks way more involved than it did the previous times i've seen the game shown off.)

I've definitely seen people claiming that this will have online play, but that might just be wishful thinking on their end.

Stuff like this and Samurai Gunn are super, super appealing to me, but i am just never ever going to play a local multiplayer game on my PC.

It's a shame, that trailer looks amazing. (The fighting system looks way more involved than it did the previous times i've seen the game shown off.)

There is online, I've just played a few rounds against JamesM very fun!

How is the netcode? Any noticeable latency?

It really depends on distance, as you'd probably expect. That said, I played a few games today against random players from matchmaking and had a pretty smooth experience. 

I am absolutely loving what I've played so far. Can't wait to play it with friends the next time we have a meetup. This local multiplayer resurgence we seem to be having lately is making me extremely happy.

For me it was hard to judge, especially with a very limited playerbase when I was trying it.  Had a couple fairly smooth matches, and a couple pretty janky ones.  Really wish it showed ping

Man, it is so amazing to finally be able to play this!

Also, I would love to see the Idle Thumbs crew stream this sometime.

I played a bunch of this at a buddy's house after work tonight. When we had a 7 and a half minute match with crazy upsets and throws on both sides, we called it quits. Amazing.