BadHat

The "what the crap was that game called again?" thread

It wasn't Jetpac, was it?  Platform isn't right, but it's possible that it got a pirate port or cloned, since shit like that happened all the time. 

No. I think the gameplay was top-down. Or possibly 45-degree angle. I have a clear mental image of the river being a strip of blue in the middle of screen with green above and below (i.e. the grassy north and south banks of the river).

I've done some more googling and the closest I've come to an answer is this post from a similar thread on another forum. I thought I'd copy-paste his post in case its somewhat better description sparks anyone's memories.

In the first game, you controlled a person in a world and the perspective was like a 2D Zelda game. The overworld had a river running through the middle with a raft at the Western end that you could ride towards the East on. And there was a waterfall at Eastern end of the river. And I think there was a bridge that connected both sides of the river.

At the top of the overworld was a mountain with a ski lift that you could ride on where I think you started out at in the beginning of the game. At the Southern portion of the overworld was a small dungeon with a dragon. And I vaguely recall some sort of educational tie-in where you enter caves or something of the sort scattered throughout the overworld where you likely did something like solve math equations. I was fascinated by the overworld itself so I my memories aren't strong on the other component.

Ah crap, that ski lift sounds really familiar... I have no idea what game that was, but math problems sparks something to.

Unless I am taking every apple 2 game I played and vaguely combining them together to create what ever that description is.

thorn - I'm pretty sure I played it. In fact, I've been looking for the name to that one for quite some time now, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Even trolled the entire list of Apple ][ games to see if anything sparked.

I thought it was ___'s Adventure with some goofy alien name in the blank (Zonk or Bonk or something) - if I recall you were a little alien with big eyes, but couldn't find anything that way either.

When I can remember, I'll paw through my old Apple disks at my parents' house and see if I can find it.

I've done some more googling and the closest I've come to an answer is this post from a similar thread on another forum. I thought I'd copy-paste his post in case its somewhat better description sparks anyone's memories.

Hey, thorn.

It's called Tonk in the Land of Buddy Bots. I thought you were building a ship, but no! You're building a bot. Who's your buddy. A buddy-bot, even.

Listed for Atari, but I definitely played in on the Apple II, maybe a pirate port or something.

I want to remember the name of the platformer I used to play on a shitty IBM-PC back in the late 80s/early 90s where iirc you control a little pink square with a face navigating single screen levels with all the platforms made up of similar small squares on plain backgrounds, only a step up from ASCII graphics. It was kind of a Super MeatBoy predecessor and I think it was called Jumping Jason or something like that.

I want to remember the name of the platformer I used to play on a shitty IBM-PC back in the late 80s/early 90s where iirc you control a little pink square with a face navigating single screen levels with all the platforms made up of similar small squares on plain backgrounds, only a step up from ASCII graphics. It was kind of a Super MeatBoy predecessor and I think it was called Jumping Jason or something like that.

It sounds like something that would have been done in CGA, since pink was used a ton before EGA came around and opened the palette up a bit. Maybe (John Romero's) Dangerous Dave?

No, the graphics were even more basic than that. The character was simply a tiny square/oblong (may have had rounded off corners) with a five-pixel smiley face.

I remember seeing that character an awful lot back in the DOS days. It was an ASCII character.

Unfortunately, this means it's going to be a bugger to track down.

Damn. I'm starting to wonder if it was Jason, as that garners no results...

It's pretty much the same graphical fidelity and style, and it even has either the same or very similar pink smiley square, but my game was a side-on platformer very much in the vein of Super Meat Boy (single-screen, lifts, spikes, split-second jumps).

No, not Jumpman. Again, the character was simply a small square with a smiley face (presumably an ASCII character).

I've got one (that my memory is pretty fuzzy on, so I may be misremembering some of the details) - 

I played it on the PC, maybe around 2000?  It was 3D, set on a space station and maybe sort of vaguely RTS?  You had to do some sort of terraforming and manage the space station.  I don't remember if there were actually 'enemies' or fighting at all.  Sorry that's such a vague description...

Awesome; that's totally it!  I do remember it being rather excellent and I'm going to go buy it right now.

Thanks, 'what the crap was that game called again' thread!