BadHat

The "what the crap was that game called again?" thread

What's that game, it was the 3rd in a series I think, where you played this mute scientist fighting aliens?

Hello gang.  I wonder if you can help me.

What's the name of that one game they keep talking about on Idle Thumbs, and where can I find it?  I don't know anything about it but I would like to try it despite this.  I think I missed the one time they spelt it out - it's called The Yog or The Yaugh or The Yarrgh or something difficult to google.

The Yawhg. They even spell it!

Yeah I heard them spell it but I didn't have a pen, and was driving, and then forgot.  Thanks dawhg.

I've got a somewhat obscure one to challenge the Thumbs. Can anyone remember an Apple II game in which you play the pilot of a flying craft (possibly a flying saucer, but I can't remember exactly) that crashes, who must then explore a landscape for the pieces of his ship so that he can reassemble it? Some pieces were simply lying on the ground and others required solving puzzles. My only clear memory of the landscape was that there was a river running through it left-to-right; you could ride a raft along it and fall down a waterfall at the end.

Speaking of obscure challenges...

I think I've played this game in cca 2000. It was a sci-fi action flight sim somewhat similar to Terminal Velocity, I think it was set on some kind of a desert planet and you could fly both in the open and inside some structures. The weird thing I remember about this game is the fact that you could press the F-keys on your keyboard in order for your ship to execute a corresponding manouver. Each manouver was basically a predefined set of motions the ship would perform. In my mind I even hear a generic sc-fi female voice saying "somethingsomething manouver" after pressing one of the keys.

I've checked a few sci-fi flight sim lists on the Internet but nothing matched the image in my mind. Either the game was very obscure or my memories are so twisted I can't recognize it. I think the latter is more likely to be the case.

Also I have some personal story involving this mysterious game (it is probably the only reason I remember it existing). I played games on some crappy 14" 60Hz CRT at the time which often resulted in eyestrain and flushing after some time. I remember my grandmother came to my room when I was playing this game and said "the screen is full of color... and so is your face" which is probably the most vivid memory of her from the late 90s / early 00s era I have for some reason. Brains are indeed weird.

Was that either of the Terminal Velocity spiritual successors, Fury3 or Hellbender?

Hm, might have been, but I remember the strange maneuver mechanic and I didn't see anything like that when reading / watching / searching for Fury3 or Hellbender. I definitely played TV before that and I think it was a little bit different kind of a game, more sim-like, e.g. I think you could go into 3rd person mode and rotate the camera (especially during the maneuvers, I think the game switched to 3rd person so you could watch the useless maneuvers in all their glory), not sure it's possible in these games. Also I feel like it had better graphics but I think it's common to misremember the old graphics as better than they really were...

God, I'm afraid this may not be a very good "wtcwtgca" question, my memory may be deformed too much to recognize the game even when presented with the actual answer.

Thought there was another, larger thread about this, but couldn't find it. So this exists and I can't remember what game I am thinking of.

It was a web game, top down, very blue, iconic(like it used icons or inforgraphics or something) simple line art type thing. It was like a survival game where you roamed an island  with interiors, collecting survivors and or goods (I think) and avoiding the monsters, which I think were just floating fish type things. There was another mechanic, I think, that was shooting a fishing line and roping a monster/fish thing, but I can't remember what you would do with that.

This may help or hinder my chances of figuring out what this is, but from my recollection, it looked kind of like this:

game.jpg

Does anyone have any clue what I might be thinking of here?

I have no idea what the game is, but I just want to be clear on something. Did you draw that mock-up Murdoc? Because I love it.

Thought there was another, larger thread about this, but couldn't find it. So this exists and I can't remember what game I am thinking of.

It was a web game, top down, very blue, iconic(like it used icons or inforgraphics or something) simple line art type thing. It was like a survival game where you roamed an island  with interiors, collecting survivors and or goods (I think) and avoiding the monsters, which I think were just floating fish type things. There was another mechanic, I think, that was shooting a fishing line and roping a monster/fish thing, but I can't remember what you would do with that.

This may help or hinder my chances of figuring out what this is, but from my recollection, it looked kind of like this:

game.jpg

Does anyone have any clue what I might be thinking of here?

searching.jpg

This is probably Nenad's Escape from the Fishing Community Island! Good mockup.

Okay, I've got one. It was a very colorful, cartoony, polished feeling adventure game on an early generation console - maybe Sega Genesis? I feel like one segment had you sit down in some futuristic model car or something. It was probably aimed towards kids.

Thanks Noyb! Driving me crazy I didn't save a link to that.

I knew it had more pictogram (I misnamed it as infographic in my description) type things on it, but I couldn't quite visualize it my head, lol. 

Kind of way off on mock up, but sort of close in a weird way. Might need to try this exercise again, mocking up a screen from some vaguely remembered video game and seeing the side by side. lol

Kind of way off on mock up, but sort of close in a weird way. Might need to try this exercise again, mocking up a screen from some vaguely remembered video game and seeing the side by side. lol

I'm planning on doing this later, inspired by yours. I'll probably just do it for a game I could easily find. I just want to see how a mockup from memory compares to a game I played some time ago.

Okay, have another one.

I don't think a mockup will be necessary as it was a game discussed on Idle Thumbs at some point.

I believe it was a web game, possibly rogue like. You are a little chamber(I call it a chamber because I thought thats what the game was called, but I can't find it on google) and I think there were heavy screen effects that made it look like you were going looking at a really shitty CRT or something. Top down view , you move your chamber around collecting...things(?) and possibly encountering enemies.

Air might have been a resource, as I remember there was either a very specific sound design of you running out of air. The discussion on IT was what the intention of the game was, I think they thought it was underwater, where as I figured it was space. I'm pretty sure Sean thought it was underwater and had some pretty good evidence to back that up.

It was also black and white or something close to.

I'll create a mock up later if I can remember enough of it, Im sure it was just simple shapes, like an apple IIe game.

Capsule, it's really good.  I'll see if I can find the discussion on it in an episode thread.

Edited to add:  It was Ep. 164.  There are Capsule posts scattered throughout the thread.  FWIW, it's one of my favorite games I've played this year, does so much with so little.

I'm going to repost this, in case someone new has come along in the meantime who can identify it:

I've got a somewhat obscure one to challenge the Thumbs. Can anyone remember an Apple II game in which you play the pilot of a flying craft (possibly a flying saucer, but I can't remember exactly) that crashes, who must then explore a landscape for the pieces of his ship so that he can reassemble it? Some pieces were simply lying on the ground and others required solving puzzles. My only clear memory of the landscape was that there was a river running through it left-to-right; you could ride a raft along it and fall down a waterfall at the end.