Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 139: Happy News Year

I cannot believe that nobody's resolution was to bring back the Idle Book Club.

How terrible is it that the closest video games have ever gotten to starting a riot is stuff like trying to get Anita Sarkeesian banned from Youtube?

I think Bobby Kotick is more like the Teapot Dome scandal.

Ugh... I hate perforce. It's really shit for remote workers. when syncing it updates the meta data of synced info after a given amount of files. So if you have to sync a lot of large files and the connection breaks (which is does often in perforce) you have to restart the sync from the last point the meta data was updated on the server. This was really annoying while doing work for Epic and Tripwire having to resync huge files over and over again. I usually resorted to writing a script to sync large files one at the time and with lower priority.

Then again, I don't know any other RCS which has the same level of control for non-source code repositories.

As someone who shamefully listens to clips of old IT jokes, I was happy to see the return of Drop Zone starring Bobby Kotick.

Hey, elmuerte, this is off topic, but I am seriously impressed by your perma-idling status in #idlethumbs.  I have never not seen you there.

I'd say that Chris has talked about Spelunky more on the cast, but the thing is it was first mentioned back in 2009, so it's got longevity going for it. Plus there was that interview with Derek Yu. That's my initial take though; I can run the numbers to be sure.*

*I am not going to run the numbers.

Thanks for the mention!

Hey, elmuerte, this is off topic, but I am seriously impressed by your perma-idling status in #idlethumbs.  I have never not seen you there.

#idlethumbs? you mean on twitch? that's one of the benefits of using IRC

One thing I keep hearing about item renting in Zelda is that it finally provides a reason for needing money.  After a while you are given the option to permanently buy them which means they won't ever be removed from your inventory and also allows you to upgrade the items via a side quest.  Renting is cheap but purchasing is 800 (or 1200 for the fire/ice rods).  The first item can be purchased for half price.  Assuming one of the rods is purchased first, it means the total required for purchasing all the items is 7400 rupees.  There's also a fairy in the game who will give you an item after you throw 3000 rupees into her fountain.

#idlethumbs? you mean on twitch? that's one of the benefits of using IRC

Yeah, but it also implies you never turn that machine off because whenever I'm in there, you're in there too (and I'm in there most of the time).  I've pinged your highlight but I guess you didn't notice.

I think it's a bit off for Sean to complain about Chris' Spelunky talk given how much DOTA he's discussed.

Yeah, but it also implies you never turn that machine off because whenever I'm in there, you're in there too (and I'm in there most of the time).  I've pinged your highlight but I guess you didn't notice.

Why would I turn of a shell server. I've been idling on various IRC servers for 10+ years in 10+ channels.

Tell us about the switches you use when you compile Gentoo, grandpa IRC!

I cannot believe that nobody's resolution was to bring back the Idle Book Club.

A single tear rolled down my cheek as I realized this.

I think it's a bit off for Sean to complain about Chris' Spelunky talk given how much DOTA he's discussed.

FWIW, my complaints are mostly in jest, but talking about DOTA a lot is one thing (and there's a lot to say about the game, as there is for Spelunky) but playing only DOTA is another. I give Chris shit about Spelunky because for this brief moment in time he is literally playing no other game

A single tear rolled down my cheek as I realized this.

I think one of two things has happened: either the Thumbs' brains have been altered so as to forget the existence of the Idle Book Club and be oblivious to any mention of its existence or they've decided that the first rule of Idle Book Club is that nobody talks about Idle Book Club without anybody noticing.

I give Chris shit about Spelunky because for this brief moment in time he is literally playing no other game

Well that's simply outrageous. So much great stuff out there.

I'm glad Jake shares my hatred for the unnecessary extension of the year of Luigi.

nfM5X2Y.gif

I'm hoping the year transitions abruptly into the Year of Waluigi. Like if you load up Dr. Luigi, and halfway through your first game it goes "TOO BAD, WALUIGI TIME" and the game changes into Dr. Waluigi forever.

Congrats to him... he wrote a book. Meanwhile, a lot of researchers actually do leg work and on the subject and are rarely ever listened to.

And if I look at Night's suggestions... they suck even more than the education experiments I've had to live through. More school, less vacation? Won't fix a thing.