Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Holy Priceless Collection of Etruscan Snoods, Did You Guys Know About Hot Toys?!

I did some searching for a thread on awkward nerd collections of figurines and action figures, but couldn't find one, so now there is one:

I've always derided and pitied anyone interested in childish action figures and collectible figurines ...

... until I saw this totally sweet action figure:

PD1379563481096.jpg?1388595440288

I didn't know action figures were totally cool! Apparently someone called Hot Toys are making these highly detailed things, which are nothing like the He-Man figures I remember from my childhood. Did everyone else know action figures were sweet? Does anyone else here collect awesome action figures? Do you have cool pictures?

I've seen those Batman figures before, and they're so cool.

I have a couple of these neat little vinyl toys based on Osamu Tezuka characters; Pluto from Astro Boy and the Phoenix from Phoenix.

ujHynHI.jpg8PLjb2P.png

I also have a couple of Revoltechs that I've actually been trying to get rid of.

GM3NiIK.jpg2EDs2fB.jpgU4pV9MC.jpg

I'm not much of a toy person anymore, but I do like some of the various video game figures they've been producing lately.

P0R0VRg.jpg

UGGVq3L.jpg

5aw2doh.jpg

God damn it I've never owned a figurine (as an adult) but I really want that Yotsuba. OMG the water pistol pose. If only you could give her the trenchcoat and fedora.

I don't normally collect them, and I recently ebayed my only two - a (pre-movie) Sin City Marv electric chair figure (with voice, light-up eyes and vibration action when you throw the lever) and a Smeagol figure (from the Two Towers special release, holding a fish and looking up cautiously). 

However, I recently saw this bobblehead in a charity shop and couldn't resist:

J5VUidl.jpg

This is the best thread I can think of to post this but I assume it will become an instant classic.

Power Rangers toy with a boner

This little snippet was really funny to me for some reason:

The latest Super Sentai (aka Power Rangers) series in Japan is train themed. That means a whole slew of new toys. And one of them can get what looks like a giant train boner. All aboard!

I got this guy while I was in Japan -

Toytoyou-Gundam-model-image-XXXG-01D2-Gu

Probably one of my favorite things I did while in Japan was visit the toy floor of Yodobashi Camera and having my mind boggled by the vast collection of toys, models, and figurines they had for practically anything I was looking for (granted, my range of anime/cartoon interests in limited). They also had these tiny figures of various Pokemon and I had to get Tyranitar:

7226247.jpg

Their offering of puzzles was also out of control. They had like... 100 Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki 1000-5000 piece puzzles and I grabbed a Totoro one (which I couldn't find a image of on Google).

I worked in a comic shop for a year and a half, and it was usually my job to unbox the Hot Toys and pose them for display. Amazing pieces, and each one is hand painted by a small team. The craftsmanship and packaging is usually unparalleled. I'm pretty sure they're also producing a sixth-scale '60s Batmobile.

Here are some photos:

knBUGn0.jpg?1

H5AGI3Z.jpg?1

mXuBVoo.jpg?1

Anyone eve hear of the Real Action Heroes line of toys? They're all really detailed likenesses of various characters and people. They've done some really neat stuff with concealed joints, plus the sheer range of available figures is pretty crazy.

pEuxeAv.jpg

u6kWznj.jpg

E3q517F.jpg

Man, I'm a bit of a figurine collector. Mainly anime ones, it has to be said. I even have a figurine cabinet to put them all in. Possibly the geekiest thing I own. If enough people are interested I'll take a pic and post it on here. My personal favorite from my collection is this one, from Madoka Magika:

98e0a5f928e2e8567aeb38f186dc24ad.jpg

It's just so cool. And fucking huge to boot. Even without understanding the reference, it's pretty magnificent. I got it before I started watching the anime too XD

I also have a couple of Gaming ones. I got the Ganon fig from the Wind Waker HD remake, which is really nicely detailed, more impressive as it's a pretty small fig.

legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-ganondorf-fig

The one I've been wanting for fucking years now is the Heavy from TF2. it's just so nice. But so expensive.

pro_big.jpg

I also like the Elizabeth nendroid (from animal crossing). I usually don't like nendroids, but this one is so darn cute:

2542f8894505e2d42dfe044a90262e75.jpg

Sorry to ramble on. I like figs, is essentially what i'm getting at. I'm not such a big fan of DC/Marvel figs, but that joker is sweet.

Edit: Also Tegan, I'd totally take that Yotsuba fig off your hands. It'd go well with my Danbo fig :3

I also have a couple of Revoltechs that I've actually been trying to get rid of.

I am pleased that this is a real brand name.

I just got some sweet LEDs from Ikea to light up our figure shelves. I'll snap some pictures when everything is set up.

I saw a sweet Godzilla figure at the comic shop the other day and I kind of want it now.

So this is real and actually happening, as some kind of story and toyline.

WoJNkDy.jpg

The Angels are invading. Breaking a long silence, the mysterious life-forms known as the Angels suddenly appear. The weapons the UN forces gather together in retaliation can't even scratch them. In the end, they turn to the secret agency, NERV, to manage the anti-Angel strategy.

With Neo-Tokyo 3 in their sights, the Angels slowly advance upon the city...but suddenly a spaceship comes hurtling down from the sky above the Angels: the Sky Lynx! Out of the ship emerges warriors of the far-off planet Cybertron. They've come to investigate after noticing an unusual energy reading.

"We can't let a disaster like the Second Impact occur on this planet."
"What?! What are these monsters?!"

The shocked Cybertron convoy sets its sights on an enemy much bigger than themselves.

I'm no stranger to the wild world of hilariously off-target Evangelion spin-offs and merchandise, but this is still fascinatingly stupid.

In other news, I don't think I can live without the upcoming Pokémon Trainer Red Nendoroid.

7uwVJbG.jpg

MzLWgUD.jpg

7zRDwKZ.jpg

Well, Evangelion is stupid so the weird side projects might as well also be stupid!

boosh

Well, Evangelion is stupid so the weird side projects might as well also be stupid!

boosh

I maintain that Transformers is significantly more stupid than Evangelion.

Anyway:

RiFDUsA.jpg

guAWKHI.jpg

And then the universe justified me. They made the fucking Mountain Dew robot from the first movie.

YFssIjg.jpg

Is it wrong that I want this? Because I want this.

At least Transformers knows it's stupid. Evangelion thinks it's smart.

But yes they are both very stupid and the implication was a stupid thing would naturally gravitate toward another stupid thing.

At least Transformers knows it's stupid. Evangelion thinks it's smart.

But yes they are both very stupid and the implication was a stupid thing would naturally gravitate toward another stupid thing.

I disagree, on the grounds that whoever handles the merchandising for Evangelion would need to have reached some profound level of ironic self-awareness in order to bring us such gems as...

Kqsgl.jpgNCZXl.jpglpmIi.jpgc5fUr.jpgT2DIi.jpg9KKLE.jpgYhmyN.jpgLMFhPyr.jpg