ysbreker

Games giveaway

So are we talking strictly idioms? or more common phrases? Are any pop-culture related?

So are we talking strictly idioms? or more common phrases? Are any pop-culture related?

Some are idioms, some are common phrases, a couple are places, a few are litterally one word.  I think one or two may be loosely pop-culture related, but it's probably 90s era pop-culture since that's when the cards were made.  If people are having a lot of trouble after a few days, I'll put up some hints, provided I can think of any that don't give away the answers.

I'm missing about 20 of them. I'm also only really doing it for fun (because yay! Puzzles!) as the only game on the list I'd be interested in is Rogue Legacy and I'm reasonably confident someone else will get there first. Still, puzzles are awesome and this is a fantastic idea.

I tried it and realised that I need nootropics to handle it.

I've only had one submission so far from Rodi and I'm reasonably sure he was kidding...

Whoa hey hey whoa hey HEY now.

I'm missing about 20 of them. I'm also only really doing it for fun (because yay! Puzzles!) as the only game on the list I'd be interested in is Rogue Legacy and I'm reasonably confident someone else will get there first. Still, puzzles are awesome and this is a fantastic idea.

I'm glad people are having fun with this.  To be honest, my biggest concerns were

1) Are people going to think this is stupid and weird and why is this guy doing this dumb thing?

2) What games should I get that people will want but don't already have without spending a ton of money?

For #1, I'm always paranoid whenever I post/say things on the internet.  You wouldn't believe the number of drafts even a simple post goes through before I submit it and even then I'm afraid I've just made an idiot of myself.  For #2, I mostly stuck to things played by/made by the Thumbs because I figured there would be the most interest there.  In the case of Strike Suit Zero, it was just cheap.  Crusader Kings I actually got after the Summer Sale.  I almost got Surgeon Simulator as well but by that point I had already spent a fair amount of money that I am essentially giving away so I hope you all understand.

I also welcome any feedback anyone has about this.  I've never done this with such a large group before.  Like I said, I've previously done this with some friends of mine, but only about 6 and they were all near my age and in the US.  I do plan on doing this again after the Steam Holiday Sale (though not with these types of puzzles beacuse I don't have any more) and any way to improve the experience would be useful.

Finally, I'm curious what games everyone wants.  I suspect Rogue Legacy the most since it's relatively new and the rest are probably already owned if you really wanted them.  I might be willing to make a substitution if no one wants a certain game.  Unless I choose poorly and no one wants any of them and you all just like puzzles.

I really should have made a new thread for this...

I really like the idea, only got 12 so far but will keep working on it.  Personally the game list is great IMO a fair variety of solid titles.

Whoa hey hey whoa hey HEY now.

While I was amused by your answers, I'm afraid I'll have to reply with a classic Billy Madison quote:

[Rodi], what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I don't actually mean any of that, except for the part about awarding you no points.

As for your concern about international things, so far I'm only bothered by the persistent American need to misspell cheque as "check". That is a stupid way to spell it, and factors into a solution.

I'm slowly moving forward with these. Still not sure about a few of them, but I might be submitting my answers soon*(ish)

As for the game choices, I don't own any of them, so if I get all the answers the selection works well for me.

Cheque yourself before you wreque yourself, MIFFY.

Blah blah, I doo not lyke the colour off the cheque, I speke the Kyngs English juste lyke a propere Brittish personne.

Shammack, you get a pass because of achewood reference and the fact that I know your wife spells properly.

The rest of you,  :finger: 

I took the second one, thanks dude! Will play it when I get my new flat in a week or so and spread the word if it's good!

Won't get internet until the 1915th :( But THEN I will play it and spread the word on the condition that it is "good"!

As for your concern about international things, so far I'm only bothered by the persistent American need to misspell cheque as "check". That is a stupid way to spell it, and factors into a solution.

That is a good point.  One thing I was worried about was that some of these may be strictly American phrases and thus harder for the non-US people, but I don't know how to solve that.  I think what I plan for the next one may be less biased in that way.

Shammack, you get a pass because of achewood reference and the fact that I know your wife spells properly.

The rest of you,  :finger: 

Woo!  Yeah!  I helped!