BenLuke

Walking Dead Season the Second

Makes sense to make a new topic and leave the old one for discussion of the fist season, at least to me.

Yay for more the walking dead, boo to easily fail-able QTE sequences that force you to restart after the slightest mistake. :(

Is Nick Breckon really the lead writer on this? Is not saying anything still a viable dialogue option? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then I wonder whether keeping silent for extended periods of time will make one of the characters babble incessantly.

It kills me that the PS Store never gets the Season Pass option up on the same day as Episode 1.  Doesn't this happen with every Telltale release?

I can't wait to start this, but alas, it won't be tonight.

Nick is the lead writer for the next episode, but I think he worked on some parts of this one too. I'm guessing he's responsible for the part where

you can call someone a baby.

Loved it! Some grim happenings even in the first episode. I guess that was important to set the mood. For some reason I like playing as Clementine more than I did as Lee. Also the countdown to tears was rather short this season.

It kills me that the PS Store never gets the Season Pass option up on the same day as Episode 1.  Doesn't this happen with every Telltale release?

I can't wait to start this, but alas, it won't be tonight.

I think the way it works on PSN is that you have to buy ep 1 and then the season pass appears when DLC starts to appear. I don't know for sure though.

I really wish there was a way to sync saves from platform to platform, although I can see why it doesn't happen. Just a shame that I don't plan on playing S2 on 360 while that's where I finished it, and I probably won't buy S2 on PC until I finish S1 + 400 Days on that platform. Meh.

Is Nick Breckon really the lead writer on this? Is not saying anything still a viable dialogue option? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then I wonder whether keeping silent for extended periods of time will make one of the characters babble incessantly.

Shortly after that, one of the other key characters will become unresponsive, staying silent until all of Clementine's dialogue options are babbled.

Nick is the lead writer for the next episode, but I think he worked on some parts of this one too. I'm guessing he's responsible for the part where

you can call someone a baby.

I though of Nick when it came to

the part where you can threaten Rebecca with knowledge of her infidelity. Resorting to intrigue at the first possible opportunity for ill-defined gains seems like classic Breckon

I wanted to start a threat to see what you good folks thought about The Walking Dead season 2 that Telltalegames released earlier in December.

Personally I have been a TWD fan since the show debuted on AMC a few years back. I never had the opportunity to get in to comics too much but I did get a chance to play the video game that Telltalegames released. Season 1 of TWD was what I consider an A List game. The story level was top shelf and the overall game was extremely enjoyable. I have some mixed thoughts and feelings on season 2 so far. Starting off I was always on the fence making the playable Clementine. As a adult I enjoyed playing a adult in TWD world (If you play a racing game you want to be the driver, to a member of the pit crew). I'm not saying clementine was a part of the pit crew but I enjoyed asserting my playable character as the leader of my little group of survivors. I enjoyed making decisions that would prove to be life or death for someone else. Making the playable character as a child opens a large range of possibilities but no group it severely limited being the leader of a group of survivors.

Moving on too the actual game I am starting to think that telltalegames is moving more mainstream. The graphics are much more crisp and details are very detailed. That said I was very dissointed to see on the apple App Store the file size of s2 episode 1 to be 500mb yet the playing time of the episode was much shorter then s1 episode 1 with a file size of 350mb.

TWD s1 ep1 had 4 fairly large puzzle chapters in it. Exploring clementines house, exploring Hershel's farm, the drug store, and clearing the motor inn. By the end of season 1 ep 1 you met clementine, explored and was thrown off of Hershel's farm, had a ton of objectives in the drug store, learned the fate of lees family, saved Larry, saved clementine, and cleared the motor inn full of walkers. All of that happened in the first episode,

In season 2 episode 1 the puzzle chapters were replaced by well higher graphics and less playable content. You had playable objections like walk down trail in a forest and climb over a log. Climb out of a river and look at a broken boat. The largest puzzle was exploring the cabin and even then that seemed extremely short. You only had limited interaction with other characters as well. I'm not saying th game was in enjoyable but compared to the season 1 enjoyment the levels were much lower so far in season 2.

What are your thoughts and opinions of season 2 episode 1?

I enjoyed it, though it was over pretty quick. More of an experience than a game. Pretty grim, really surprised me at one point. A nice introduction to the new season, if a bit short on gameplay. Definitely sets the tone and expectations of things to come.

@#%& Nick for making me kill a dog...

Also, playing as Clementine is "harder" than Lee since she's still a little girl, having her sew up her own arm? Yikes!

I got gifted season 2 from a friend for xmas. I'm playing season 1 on the xbox though. Does the save of season 1 affect season 2? Is it noticeable? Does it matter?

It will use your season 1 save if it finds one; if not, it will just randomize the choices. The amount and type of callbacks is pretty consistent with the callbacks between episodes in season 1. I think it's definitely more satisfying if you go in with a season 1 save, but it's not going to ruin it if you don't have one. It just depends on how important the role-playing is to you.

At the same time though I feel like so much of the story hinges on season one in a plot and emotional sense. Just starting with season 2 would leave you less involved with clementine

Lame. I connected with Clem a lot in season 1. :( Idk whether I have the emotional stability to play it through again on my PC. Or remember my choices. I remember that my Lee just wanted to protect clem at all times. I didn't even steal the food supplies.

Lame. I connected with Clem a lot in season 1. :( Idk whether I have the emotional stability to play it through again on my PC. Or remember my choices. I remember that my Lee just wanted to protect clem at all times. I didn't even steal the food supplies.

Pff if you really wanted to protect her, you would've MADE SURE SHE HAD SOMETHING TO EAT you heartless monster.

But uh to say what I actually wanted to say: In these instances where game sequels heavily rely on choices made in prequels, I think it's a shame more developers don't invest in tools that allow the player to construct a save file for the purpose of playing said sequel. It really sucks when you lose your data for one reason or another.

IT IS WRONG TO STEAL. WHY WOULD I TEACH HER THAT IT'S OK? WHAT ABOUT HER FUTURE?

*Ahem* Yeah, I agree, it is annoying, but I can't think of a series where it matters what your actions are in the previous games. And on top of that multi-platform too. I guess Mass Effect? the other two that spring to my mind are Bauler's Gate (which was PC only) and Golden Sun (again, GBA only).

But uh to say what I actually wanted to say: In these instances where game sequels heavily rely on choices made in prequels, I think it's a shame more developers don't invest in tools that allow the player to construct a save file for the purpose of playing said sequel. It really sucks when you lose your data for one reason or another.

I know there was some talk about doing something like that, but (1) we didn't have enough time before the game had to ship, and (2) the callbacks can refer to literally any dialog choice in the whole game, so even if there was something that just let you set the big obvious choices, there would still be more subtle things that came up that might not match. To avoid that, you'd have to prompt the player for every piece of information that we might possibly want to call back to, which would be impractical given that at the start of the season we don't necessarily know what all the callbacks will be in the later episodes, and even if we did, it would kind of tip our hands about things that were going to come up in the new season (unless we just asked about everything, which seems insane).

I agree that it sucks, though. I guess if somebody did want to take the time to go back and set every single choice from the previous season, it would be nice if we had a way to let them do that, but that's a lot of extra UI/menu work and see (1) above.

There's no way you can convert a save file from platform to platform? or even just upload the choices on a telltale profile or something like that?

I think that if there was a Mass Effect 2/3-style in-game tool for making choices from previous games, you obviously wouldn't have to make players select every single piece of information, maybe just allow them to select from the choices that are revealed on the end-of-episode stats screen (ie, major deaths, who do you side with, did you take this person with you on this thing, etc). The rest of the minor choices can be randomized, but those major points that you even go back to highlight at the end of an episode seem profound enough that the smaller stuff could probably be glossed over. This is basically how it worked in ME - you got to pick if you killed Wrex, for instance, but I believe you got to see your fanboy originally from the Citadel in ME1 on Illium in ME2 no matter what (despite the fact that you could dismiss him in ME1 and not see him again).

As far as games where actions carry to sequels, Dragon Age also transfers some information to Dragon Age 2 and Dragon Age 1's standalone expansions. Since you're not the same character, the choices carried over are mostly secondary character ones, where if a certain character was still alive they might reappear in DA2 and how you chose to deal with Alistair will affect how you meet him there. I also know that The Witcher carries choices to The Witcher 2, mostly in dialogue and also retaining some items from one game to the next.

Those along with Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate, and Golden Sun are the only examples of save game imports that I can think of.

There's no way you can convert a save file from platform to platform? or even just upload the choices on a telltale profile or something like that?

I don't really know the technical details of how the save files are constructed on different platforms. My guess is that it wouldn't be too difficult to convert the data, but physically moving it from one platform to the other would be the tricky part. It definitely would be cool if you could put your save on your Telltale profile and download it to whatever platform you want to play it on. I don't think we have the infrastructure for something like that at the moment, but I'm not a programmer, so I'm kind of talking out of my ass here.