Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Next Car Game

I just made a FlatOut topic and didn't want to take it off topic so soon so here's another thread for Bugbear's next car game, which is called "Next Car Game" for now. It's "high contact" like FlatOut, and early access is available for only 25$ so I bought it. I like it so far! Of course from this it's early to tell, but it feels less arcadey than FlatOut. The driving seems more realistic, but if some reviews complained about Flatout's "spongy" steering then in this game the steering felt even more spongy to me.

The damage model is... interesting. This car is still going:

post-6047-0-99529900-1388119636_thumb.jpg

"A brave front wheel that could". Seems some wheels will try to stay attached no matter what.

The environmental damage model seems to have expanded as well, and even some permanent barriers will take at least cosmetic damage.

There's a destruction derby level that is totally nuts and the AI drivers start driving backwards when their fronts are too damaged! (is this common in destruction derby games?)

There's a destruction derby level that is totally nuts and the AI drivers start driving backwards when their fronts are too damaged! (is this common in destruction derby games?)

Don't know about games, but this is how real Demo Derbies work.  Your car will last a lot longer if you're ramming people with your trunk rather than your engine.  Most drivers will only ram with their front if they are desperate.

Just saw that this went up on early access on Steam.  Man, that trailer looks incredible.  I've been jonesing for a Burnout type experience. 

There was an update with a new car (still RWD like the others), a figure-of-8 track and some other improvements. The handling has improved (IHMO) but anyone planning to play this should probably turn off Anti-Spin assist.

Also check out some of the screenshots on their blog http://nextcargame.com/blog/

ncg_crash1.png

I like the new car (it handles much better especially compared to the smallest car) and the game is starting to seem even more crazy than FlatOut when it comes to crashes, but also somehow more realistic at the same time.

aKNVk3fl.png

This game looks great, and I'm definitely going to get it once it gets a little further down the line. Once they get the multiplayer implemented, we'll have to get back to old Forza-like shenanigans.

I'm not particularly interested in the game, personally, but I REALLY like how dirty those cars are.

Sorry. I have nothing else to add. I'M WORST!

This game looks great, and I'm definitely going to get it once it gets a little further down the line. Once they get the multiplayer implemented, we'll have to get back to old Forza-like shenanigans.

Hell and damn yes. Formula Thumb can be franchise-agnostic. I'd love to bring the occasional race back in a new form.

I've playing this over 9 hours already, and it only has 3 cars and 4 tracks. It just seems so good! I'm just afraid of becoming a guy who whines about how the handling was perfect in the pre-alpha and how they ruined it.

Also after playing the same track for tens of times, I found a quite well-disguised shortcut in it, so looks like they might plan to make the tracks similar to FlatOut, which had a lot of shortcuts everywhere. The ones I've noticed in this game seem quite balanced -- take a bigger risk to potentially gain a second or so. The AI doesn't take advantage of the shortcuts yet, though.

Most drivers will only ram with their front if they are desperate.

Or if, like my uncle, they eventually grow reckless and begin to value Spectacle over Victory. Every year. =P

Next Car Game looks pretty great for a car game (I played the sandbox level with all the silly obstacles and it was hilarious) but what I really want is a nice Combination Harvester-Thresher Derby game.

I played the free tech demo at a friend's place, and the damage model is hilarious. I turned the car into a ball of metal with one functional wheel by driving it off things then feeding it into various mashing devices.

I played the free tech demo at a friend's place, and the damage model is hilarious. I turned the car into a ball of metal with one functional wheel by driving it off things then feeding it into various mashing devices.

Yeah, I haven't checked whether they've talked about plans with damage model, but I'm hoping they'll actually dial back the hilarity somewhat, because at times it's just too ridiculous (but usually if you are actually trying to race you won't take the kind of damage that turns you into a mysteriously functional metal ball).