Sign in to follow this  
Dualhammers

Starbound

Have we thought about starting a Starbound multiplayer server? I tried playing it for a few hours last night and found it an intensely lonely experience. With people I think the game could be a grand and hilarious adventure but on your own it feels like a replacement for the chores and errands I should be running instead of playing video games. Perhaps in this way it captures the true essence of life - it is better when you are not alone.

So have we thought about setting up a server?

I would play on a Starbound multiplayer server.

I can offer nothing more than this promise, unfortunately.

I'm currently trying to get a copy of starbound by trading stuff for it, (so far a lot of my offers haven't been replied to), but when I finally get it I might as well join you guys if you get a starbound server running

I'd be up for some multiplayer Starbounding.

I've made full tier 10 gear on my first characgter, which got wiped, and have just now hit tier 10 with a new character. I was going to shelf Starbound for a few updates, but would really like to see how it plays multi player. Count me in.

Now that the final character wipe is complete, I'm hosting a server on my old desktop here at my house. We have a pretty heavy duty connection, so I should be able to leave this up 24/7 for any thumbs who want to hop in.

I've got a security plugin running, but nothing is turned on at the moment. I've appointed a few admins that can start turning on planet protection and such if it turns out we need it.

My IP here is 50.135.109.241.

Pulling this thread from the depths to post my Starbound server

IP: 174.61.158.81

Password: owned

I'm not on a static IP, so feel free to PM here if you can't get in at any point, I might have to post a new IP. If I get a lot of traffic, I'll talk to Comcast and pay a little extra for a permanent IP and get a domain name attached to it.

Also, while I have some limited admin control, there really isn't an "undo" or anything, so please be careful messing with other people's stuff and think about any friends you might invite.

Played enough to get through the (new) tutorial. There's a couple of mine shafts that lead down into the planet core. The one I made didn't have much in the way of iron or copper; it's on the other side of the planet.

I jumped to a jungle planet and planted a flag at the warp location. It's untouched though as I require real-world food.

I just got kicked off the server! I think it went down? Well, either way, I upgraded my ship and stuff that was fun. Hopefully it stuck. Dunno how frequently servers save.

All right, server seems stable for now, I'll be out and about this evening, so if it crashes again I probably won't be able to turn it back on until around midnight pst.

I also have a server:

Host: starbound.idlemc.com:24425

Password: wizard

Set it up literally moments ago, so it's totally clean.

1-2480706-560x95-13273-FF5519-FFFFFF.png

There's been a furious bunch of updates, but my server is back up. I'll be continuing to run it for my friends so people are welcome to stick around or migrate over to tabacco's server, no harm either way.

Man, tonight's patch is like a reinstall of the whole game. What gives!

I'm a little confused about the progression now. My ship AI wanted me to investigate a warp gate, and I did so, finding that new hub town they added to the game. I was supposed to find some sort of resource, but found it in a liquid form rather than a solid, and my ship AI tells me nothing new.

There's a jungle planet on Dewar's server that I dug a mine into, via one entrance east of the landing location. Don't know what materials are available beyond what's on the starting planet.

'm a little confused about the progression now. My ship AI wanted me to investigate a warp gate, and I did so, finding that new hub town they added to the game. I was supposed to find some sort of resource, but found it in a liquid form rather than a solid, and my ship AI tells me nothing new.

I was recuperating from illness the last days so I put some time in progression. Henroid the liquid is the fuel for the FTL drive to repair the thing you need to get the crystals. There different and not convertible. Progression is now gated through Missions you get in the hub town. One of the quest giver npcs wants you to get the highest armor set you can craft, and than gives you a mission, accessible though the ship ai interface. Mission is a contained planet with a boss fight that gives you the gating macguffin.

Basically, you need to progress to getting steel at that point, which involves upgrading your matter manipulator to the stage it can pick up liquids.

Edit: In case anyone needs, there's a huge Avian colony on Delta T CrB Minoris IIa in the starting system.

Edit 2: And oil at Delta T CrB Minorius IV

Edit 3: Just missed someone on the server. I logged back in to say hi and you'd already left. :)

First boss is hard.

That whole dungeon seemed like a huuuge spike in difficulty to me. I think it took me about 10 tries, and eventually I ended up just running past all the enemies while spamming bandages to get through it. I later found out that you can co-op it; if people are in the same party, they can use the control panel on their own ship to enter the mission, and everyone gets put into the same instance.

Nice, I'm going to go off and do different things for a bit and come back to it. I'm a little disappointed that they gate the FTL drive behind a boss like that. I mean there's a bunch of planets in moons in the starting system, but not a whole lot that's really unique besides the avian city I mentioned before and one little glitch tower from which I bought a wizard hat.

Hmm, so I still see one person connecting to the server on occasion, but that's it. Have the majority moved over to Tabacco's server, or is there a lack of interest in general?

Apologies if anyone has been trying to connect Comcast has been pitching a fit over here. Should be up and working now.