Sign in to follow this  
Dualhammers

Idle Thumbs Accompaniment?

This may be the dumbest question, but what do you do while listening to the cast? Normally I listen on the bus but when I get home I find it hard to finish the cast. I feel weird just sitting there listening but a lot of activities are too distracting to really hear and process what is being said. I've yet to find the perfect mindless video game to accompany the cast at home.

When you listen to the cast, is there something you regularly do to occupy your thumbs?

I listen to Idlethumbs when I play Game and Watch Gallery and I curse a whole fucking lot because I can't get all the fucking stars. Fucking 80 star perfect bullshit my ass Nintendo.

I try to listen it during my commute. Half on the way to work, half on my way back.

I usually listen to podcasts while i'm playing any game with minimal amounts of story to be/worth being invested in.

Cooking, cleaning, playing games, or just laying down on the couch.

I mentioned in my first letter to the cast that I was listening to the entire Thumbs backlog while replaying Metroid: Other M, and ended up perfectly timing "Space Asshole" with Adam's death.

I stare out a window to make sure that people are throwing their trash away properly and also keeping an eye out for anyone having difficulty throwing away their trash due to a physical disability or lack of information. If there are no cars in the lot, I doodle surrealist landscapes in my sketchbook.

I sometimes listen when commuting, sometimes playing Spider Solitaire. FTL also works for me. Sometimes I put it on when I go to sleep but then I usually don't remember how far I listened before falling asleep.

I sit in a big red leather chair in my library, with a roaring fire in the fireplace, eating a watercress sandwich.

I tend to listen to the Thumbs on my way into work or when I'm walking anywhere really, any time when I'm not actually doing any other activities. I do occasionally miss a shit load of the cast when my coworkers start talking to me on my lunch break and I begrudgingly take my headphones out only to return to the cast mid-conversation. 

I sit in a big red leather chair in my library, with a roaring fire in the fireplace, eating a watercress sandwich.

red!?pretty sure that color is called "maroon"

I listen while I work.  Most of what I do doesn't require a lot of brain power, so I listen to podcasts or NPR all day long.

I usually listen to it while doing dishes.

Or while lying in bed, supposed to be sleeping but not.

Or while playing Minecraft/Terraria/Logic Square/Flow Free/Mario Picross.

I listen during the drive to/from work.  A combination of Idle Thumbs and the Bombcast is usually enough to last me for a week's worth of commutes.  Lately I've also been listening while dicking around on the Minecraft server.

I split the episodes into five minute blocks, slap 'em all on top of each other, and listen to the result. That way I only waste five minutes of my life doing nothing but listening to a podcast episode.

driving, cooking, cleaning, painting/drawing. I have a 30min drive to and from school so that's the bulk of my podcasting during the semester.

When I'm about to go to sleep, and when I play strategy focused games, mostly XCOM.

I wish my work didn't require brain power

And I wish I had a job that required a lot more than mine does.

I have a 45 minute drive to work in the morning, and traffic usually turns that into an hour or so on the way home. That's my podcast time. Also, while doing the dishes or walking.