Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn

Wild Speculation - Fullbright's next game is...

So I was reading through Joystiq's interview with Steve Gaynor, and there was this answer:

When you're daydreaming about the "next big thing", what are you listening to? 

Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, June Carter ... for reasons that I'll be able to elaborate on sometime in the not-too-distant future.

I'd say he's working on a broken family simulator (because country music), but that seems a little obvious and repetitive.

Whatever the influence of classic female country singers is, I'm excited for it.  I hated that music when I was a kid, as it was all my grandad listened to when I was around him.  But as an adult I've come around to loving it. 

To be perfectly honest, and obviously not to discount whatever they do intend to work on, I hope the fullbright company's next game is something different than gone home. Obviously it will utilize the better aspects of their lineage, but I don't really want another home/family to explore. I was personally hoping they would do a first person LA noire type game, where you're just charged with examining crime scene(s). There would be stories to tell, and I feel that the team could make the visceral nature of one of those games feel genuine (ie, you feel for the departed). Though that doesn't seem to fit with Dolly Parton...

Either way I'm happy to support whatever they do next :)

GONE HOME 2 CONFIRMED

THIS TIME, THERE ACTUALLY IS A GHOST.

this time, YOU ARE THE GHOST!!!

this time, YOU ARE THE GHOST!!!

CALL OF DUTY GHOSTS 2: GONE HOME CONFIRMED

Pfft. Remember when the fullbright company made good games?
I remember Gone Home 1. It changed gaming, now they're just development dogs leashed by Craptavision.

CALL OF DUTY GHOSTS 2: GONE HOME CONFIRMED

When America is attacked by a [threatening minority group not directly affiliated with any markets the game might be sold in] America responds by unleashing a new secret weapon: The Patriot Ghost. Resurrecting America's most beloved country music stars as ghosts, these powerful apparitions will infiltrate the enemy stronghold and bring them down utilizing a new and revolutionary combat system that cripples enemies by overwhelming them with emotion as the player crafts new country music songs madlib style on the fly.

Or maybe it's a farming/beer drinking simulator.

I CAN RELIVE MY CHILDHOOD!

Also, to counter the YA complaints it's obvious a faithful adaption of Blood Meridian. There will be an interactive "impale the babies on tree spikes" section. 

Or maybe it's a farming/beer drinking simulator.

I CAN RELIVE MY CHILDHOOD!

Comment of the year.

I'm definitely going to pre-order the next installment in the Gone Home franchise, even if they developers only update the graphics and add a couple of new ghost types and recording mediums. My only wish is that they call it Gone Home: Origins.

Seriously though, I'm eager to hear what Steve and Fullbright are up to next.

i was hoping steve gaynor's tumblr would be indicative of influences for his next game, but i guess not this time?? unless you play as resurrected country music singers who are now cyborgs and must eliminate/hack mecha taylor swift and her cyber-corporate army. a boy can dream

Gone Home: Origins

Sam is a baby and her parents can't find her in the house. You play her Dad, who reaches some stunning revelations as he discovers secret baby-sized alcoves in the house filled with clue-ridden artifacts that may give some insight into where baby Sam wandered off to.

You also also choose to start as Sam's Mom and have to hunt forrest ghosts, and choose between two romance options, based on who gives you the most trinkets. 

A cyborg dreams he is a young teenage girl trapped inside a Florida retirement home with no sign of her grandparents. Does she even have grandparents? Are her memories her own? Slowly, a mysterious individual approaches her and whispers into her ear, "What is game?"

Guys, this is actually sounding really great... It might be beginning to detract from my future enjoyment of Fullbright's (better, but less insane) game.

They're actually making Half-Life 3.

Players take on the persona of critic Ian Bogost as he moves around a lavishly detailed environment littered with fully readable books that are more engaging than Gone Home.

Gone Wizard: Poignant first person exploration game with emergent gameplay ala' Far Cry where you play as a lone Wizard who's on a quest for the Hot Scoop, an artifact of immense power.