Tanukitsune

Namco High: Date obscure Namco characters... and Homestuck?

Namco High is such a bizarre thing...

It's probably the first "dating" game to not be confined to Japan only... except it's been made by Americans and it's about the cousin of the Prince of the Cosmos attending Namco High and.. dating obscure Namco character and a few Homestuck characters?

The only reason I knew about is because it seems that every web cartoonist I know is designing a character for the game.

So yeah, a game where you can date a drum from Taiko Drum Master, the ship from Galaga, Wonder Momo, Mr. Driller.... and three Homestuck characters?

I don't even know if the full roster is done... it seems to be adding new characters each week, they just added the Time Crisis yesterday.

Since they seem to be working with Shiftylook, it's likely they'll add characters from their Namco comics, but it's hard to tell some characters are being drawn by the same artist as the comic,  some don't, some students don't have a Shiftylook comic, so who knows?

I have no idea what's going on with Namco High, but it's going to be awesome!

I find it super weird that most of the characters have a different art style, but hey I recognise a few of those people! So uh, good for them, I guess.

By the way that first link just links back to this thread, which I have to assume was unintentional. :P

whoa whoa what Ashley Davis, Gigi D.G., and Omocat are all working on this?

whaaaaaat

whaaaaaat

some really cool artists are working on this but it sucks that hussie put a homestuck character in there. it just seems really selfish

some really cool artists are working on this but it sucks that hussie put a homestuck character in there. it just seems really selfish

Most depressing thing: This is probably going to be much more popular than it would have been because of the Homestuck characters.

Ooops, I have no idea how that link thing happened... Fixed!

As much I don't get Homestuck... I can't help but to notice that the average Homestuck fan is a very VERY enthusiastic "shipper", so in a way it makes sense to have them in a dating game, since it's about "shipping", but still...

This is truly bizarre, the Venn Diagram of Homestuck fans, dating sims fans and extremely obscure Namco characters... does it even cross? 

3 Homestuck characters.

wow that's a real shame. i hadn't checked recently, i just remember when the first one was announced.

It kinda sucks since I'm pretty sure Homestuck had a game Kickstarter and they made a mint... I really hope they didn't add Homestuck characters just to get more people to buy it.... :(

From what I understand, this is an Andrew Hussie driven project all the way down to inception. Shiftylook gave him money to hire talent and make a game, and this is what happened. 

As someone who actually reads and enjoys Homestuck, I can see this working quite well. At least, I can see Hussie-written dialogue working really well in a Japanese style dating sim narrative (I've always thought his writing would match perfectly with a Persona-style game). This is assuming he doesn't play the premise too straight, which he certainly won't.

Also as someone who actually reads and enjoys Homestuck: I'm just as disappointed as you guys that Homestuck characters are in this. It feels both really indulgent and like a big cash-in. And I've grown to really enjoy Hussie's storytelling, but It's all been in the context of one franchise... by bringing over some of his own characters this game is gonna feel like he's writing in the same context that everybody already knows him for.

I used to like Homestuck until Hussie did the "rather than resolve this cliffhanger I'm going to introduce a new set of characters and have you follow them around for eight months" thing for the fifth or sixth time and then decided I'd had it.

Hey he's only done that... uh...

Alright, I actually counted and he really has done that 5 times. Arguably.

Man, and here I was going to ask whether to bother give the comic a chance, but reading this make me want to never even start...

I did like the previous MSPaint Adventures, the one with the detectives?

I love it but I can't in good conscience recommend it to anyone because:

• it's real fucking long
  • it's real fucking slow for the first several hundred pages
  • it has a huge annoying teenaged fanbase who are difficult to ignore
  • many narrative decisions seem to be deliberate acts of audience trolling

That said, there's actually a lot to love in there. Hidden. Buried, really.

yeah I've heard from every fan that at this point it'd be futile to start reading now. a sad couple of years ago i accompanied the first 200 pages with a bottle of wine and i still couldn't get into it. you'd be better off spending that time on catching up with Cucumber Quest by Gigi D.G. who's drawing for this game, something i did recently and that is very doable

Oh, right! The audience gets to decide what happens next, more or less?

Since we're pimping artist working on the game, I'll pimp out Ashley Davis, who is doing the Valkyrie comic at Shiftylook and Audra Furuichi's Nemu Nemu!

Obviously the real crime here is that Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff aren't potential love interests.

As much I don't get Homestuck... I can't help but to notice that the average Homestuck fan is a very VERY enthusiastic "shipper", so in a way it makes sense to have them in a dating game, since it's about "shipping", but still...

I can no longer imagine "Homestuck fan" without this picture immediately coming to mind.

2TEV7QO.png

I can no longer imagine "Homestuck fan" without this picture immediately coming to mind.

2TEV7QO.png

That picture is what's on homestucks' 'What is homestuck?' page.

And that's why Tyson Hesse is doing! XD I wish he'd write more Boxer Hockey. :(

I love that pretty much every creative comic person I've ever followed on the Internet is involved (even the dude who made 8-Bit Theater way back when is a writer on this).

I just wish I knew what or why the hell this exists.

I've played the game... MOST of the dateable characters are behind a paywall... And the game is incredibly short, you'd think a game from the Homestuck guy would be longer, isn't each Homestuck strip as long as a short novella?

You meet all the characters, you join the club of the character you want to date, after two days you date, and then one final instance and that's it. This is far from you normal dating game, no multiple saves, no CG gallery (then again, there are no special CG instances).

Also the Homestuck characters... Terezi might be blind, but trying to read her l33t speak is making me want to gouge my eyes out, I'm glad the Homestuck characters are behind the SUPER deluxe paywall, because they are all annoying, I looked up their profiles online and just looking at them gives me a headache.

I play it again with another free character, but that's about it.

I wouldn't mind paying for the characters if the game was longer, but this is just silly, there aren't really options in this game, it's either the very obvious "choose this if you want to date this character" or "choose this if you don't", you can't really mess up, which makes sense since there are no multiple saves.

I guess it's more of "romance" visual novel than a real dating game.