elmuerte

Stick it to the man

Did the Psychonauts art team quit Doublefine or something?

That's what it is!

I kept thinking it all looked vaguely familiar but for some reason I couldn't place it. Now that you've mentioned it, it definitely resembles Psychonauts.

Even though I know it's for PC, I can't help but look at that trailer and go "that sure looks like a Vita game."

This all seems highly unpleasant to me (and I liked Psychonauts!) but, I hope you all have fun with your icky, annoyingly loud platformer. =T

I'm enjoying this game a lot. negative review be damned! It's good fun! I'd say try it and see. Unlike the RPS guy, I found it funny. IDK how far i'm going to get, but i'm on like the 5th episode, and enjoying it greatly.

Hmm, the Psychonauts influence is way too obvious and I imagine that while playing this I would be constantly drawing comparisons, which makes me want to skip this.

It's on sale at PSN, so I bought it... 

I'm on the "screw the negative reviews" side, the only problem this game is, that since it looks like Pyschonauts, you're expecting Pyschonauts 2.

This game is kinda brilliant, is it Tim Schafer brilliant? Not all the time, but some moments are just great! Some puzzles feel like something I would see in a Tim Schafer game, others are too straight forward... It oozes "cartoon logic" in many puzzles, in a way I've only seen Tim Schafer and Deponia do well. 

The platform chases are more annoying than challenging, it's more about messing with the AI than anything else.

My only big complaint is that I bought the Vita version and it didn't seem to have touch controls, which is some cases would have made the game much better. 

At the price the game is right now at PSN, I REALLY recommend it, it's less than 5 €!

This is clearly a game made by someone who likes adventure games and Pyschonauts, don't think of it as competition, think of it as a love letter from a fan.

Ryan North, cool dude, tall dude, wrote it. It's so heavily inspired by Psychonauts it's a little too much, but it's also really really good, and it's enjoyable very much in the same way as Broken Age, though better in it's control scheme if you're playing with a controller. Has a similar flow too. 

I loved it.

I wrote my thoughts about it in the recently completed games list.

Although I would agree that the process is overly simplified (and on revision I can see how some of the dialogue would have annoyed) but the platforming was a piece of cake and they introduce short cuts so that you can avoid redoing large sections.

The art style and the dialogue carry it but it doesn't outstay its welcome and at 6 pounds - well worth it.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/9018-stick-it-to-the-man/?hl=stick#entry274190

Some of my university-mates worked on this, but haven't had time to play it myself.

Oh nice. Also weird, that's cool. someone added my comment to the thread. :)

I loved it.

I wrote my thoughts about it in the recently completed games list.

Although I would agree that the process is overly simplified (and on revision I can see how some of the dialogue would have annoyed) but the platforming was a piece of cake and they introduce short cuts so that you can avoid redoing large sections.

The art style and the dialogue carry it but it doesn't outstay its welcome and at 6 pounds - well worth it.

I don't mind the simplification. I think if adventure games are really about story, rather than challenge, that an easy flow to a game is okay. I've actually been thinking about that ever since the end of Broken Age Act 1. I really like games for story. I have trouble completing a lot of games and that's because story is often times the last priority of game companies. I was talking to an alum from my school who writes and he was telling me the budget for writing has gone down in the last couple of years because the industry sees less and less point, financially, in supporting good story. Games are so intrinsically powerful as a medium that there's not much point writing a compelling story if you can just put some simple addictive mechanics in there. So appreciate it when that's the focus of the project. 

Then you will enjoy Stick it to The Man - the gameplay never gets in the way of the story.