Sign in to follow this  
Thrik

Remedy's 'Quantum Break'

Finally, actual footage rather than CGI and GIFs. It might not show much, but this is enough to get my excitement glands whirring:

I love the concept of the story and gameplay, and I'm getting excited just thinking about what kind of insane stuff Remedy is going to be able to do with it. And the fact that it's the Max Payne developers making a game all about time manipulation... well, damn. :tup:

I'm guessing we're going to something resembling a fusion of Alan Wake's insane set pieces and Max Payne's time-control gunplay, resulting in a game that's theoretically going to be the best thing ever produced. It'll probably fall a bit short of that, but I've been very happy with Remedy so far.

I was already sold on it just with the idea of Remedy bringing their narrative sensibilities to an X-Files/Fringe-style piece of genre fiction. It definitely seems very overtly influenced by Fringe, in particular.

It's also interesting to see a more elaborate take on time manipulation from the studio that introduced bullet-time to Video games.

Probably the most exciting exclusive the XBO has right now, but i say that as a big fan of Remedy and with an expectation that it'll probably show up on the PC a year or two afterwards.

I'm very excited for this game. I hope it actually comes to PC. I don't want to buy an Xbone for one game.

I don't want to buy an Xbone for one game.

Honestly, now that Bungie is gone, and 343 seems content with being Microsoft's Infinity Ward (though, there is still time for them to prove me an ass) Remedy is the only first party dev making anything I actually care about on Xbox.

Turn 10 is alright, but I don't feel there is much room for innovation in their design.

Lionhead can make great ideas, but have yet to impress me with anything of actual substance.

Rare is still Rare 2.0, Killer Instinct being serviceable or not

Twisted Pixel has been on a serious decline since their inception

and Team Dakota (Project Spark) honestly holds no interest to me

All going up against SuckerPunch, Santa Monica, Quantic Dream (though, technically they're second party for whatever that's worth), Media Molecule, and NaughtyDog on Playstation.

Remedy may be the only team capable of making something capable of selling an xbone, and even then there is a pretty heavy reliance on Titanfall.

Remedy is not first-party. Alan Wake was published my Microsoft, but that's about it.

This will probably come to PC eventually, and if it doesn't I'll probably buy the second Xbone slim redesign in 10 years and play it. I like Remedy.

Remedy is not first-party. Alan Wake was published my Microsoft, but that's about it.

Wait, really?

(Quick fact checking)

Oh damn, you're right! 

In that case they definitly need to put this on the PC. Other wise I'd be really curious what kind of relationship they have (ie. How much money is microsoft giving them to make me actual consider buying an xbox)

If I get to the point where I think that Microsoft is actually going to make this the last Xbox and in the future the cloud does all the processing I'll buy one.

If I get to the point where I think that Microsoft is actually going to make this the last Xbox and in the future the cloud does all the processing I'll buy one.

It's not going to matter one way or another in a decade, at least for most applications. We'll have graphene transistors by then, with electron mobility in such clock speeds can go up to hundreds of gigahertz with very little current leakage, meaning very little waste heat and very good for battery usage. Something the size of you're phone will be able to crush the Xbone in terms of compute power no problem. So no worries about technology, at least with another dedicated console, because these last ones are it.

But as for Quantum Break...

I'm very excited for this game.

How? Did I miss something? Because I think I've watched both trailers available so far and I can't even say I've seen any gameplay definitively. Let alone knowing what the game is about or how it plays at all. Frankly just because they made Alan Wake, which I enjoyed, doesn't mean I'm jumping up and down for this. Being burned by Fable 3 and Spore is enough disappointment to make me skeptical for a lifetime. But if there's any actual description at all of what this game is please point it out, as I certainly did like Alan Wake.

I'm excited because I love both Max Payne and Alan Wake and thus I love Remedy. Nothing deep here. Going on pure faith. They can and will deliver because that's what they do.

How? Did I miss something? Because I think I've watched both trailers available so far and I can't even say I've seen any gameplay definitively. Let alone knowing what the game is about or how it plays at all. Frankly just because they made Alan Wake, which I enjoyed, doesn't mean I'm jumping up and down for this. Being burned by Fable 3 and Spore is enough disappointment to make me skeptical for a lifetime. But if there's any actual description at all of what this game is please point it out, as I certainly did like Alan Wake.

I think the part that you're missing is that this is Remedy. Alan Wake was great, Max Payne 1 & 2 were even better — probably because there wasn't a huge shift in direction mid-development. Remedy has sufficiently established its credentials for it to be a fairly safe bet that this game will rock, especially as it's playing to Remedy's strengths.

As far as I'm concerned, Remedy approaches Valve and Double Fine levels in terms of notability. I think a lot of people would agree.

Holy mackerel, that looks like it'll be the most intense, dynamic, amazing, challening, unique, fantastic, fun, immersive, engaging, exclusive, incredible, unbelieveable

Holy mackerel, that looks like it'll be the most intense, dynamic, amazing, challening, unique, fantastic, fun, immersive, engaging, exclusive, incredible, unbelieveable

Iiiiiiiiiit's...

In all seriousness, it looks ok? I mean, I don't see anything unique to the whole thing. The TV show angle seems gimmicky. But hey, it looks pretty, I guess.

Someone pointed out to me yesterday that there are lots of time glitches behind Sam Lake in the video. I have to admit that I didn't notice because I was too busy being distracted by:

1884051-max_payne3_rumor.jpg

Anyway, hoping for some proper gameplay footage soon. I don't doubt that the time-manipulating gunplay will be incredible, Max Payne practically introduced that concept to games and is still more or less a benchmark for how more recent games have tried to do it. I'd say that this Fringe-esque sci-fi story appeals to me more than Alan Wake's understated horror theme too. The 'broken time' concept really evokes Fringe's 'broken space-time continuum' arc which dominated the later few seasons.

Your CPU does not support all the required features. To continue, a CPU with the following additional features is required:

- POPCNT instruction

Fuck you Remedy. :tdown:

The only game ever that doesn't want run on my Q9550, GTX 1060 machine.

These asshats put a processor block for older processors in their game even though my PC can run smoothly for example nuDooM and Batman Arkham Knight etc.

I bought the special edition PC version from a bargain bin a few months ago, but forgot to use the Steam key until yesterday. I installed the 70GB monstrosity only to be greeted with the above message when starting the game.

Well that sucks.

I've had QB installed since the summer sale now, but haven't gotten around to booting it up yet.

On 12/11/2013 at 12:38 PM, Joewintergreen said:

man, max payne 1 still looks great

That shot is an early example of a pre-release "bullshot". I remember PC Gamer UK marveling that you could actually read the text on the side of the pistol. Pretty sure neither the gun nor Max's face textures were quite that high-res in the final release.

The most annoying thing is that according to Remedy's and Steam's QB forum discussions, Remedy updated the game last year to work with older AMD processors, but left the POPCNT fault for Intel processors.

And Remedy has said in both forums also year ago that they will no longer put out any updates for the game at all at any point.

Will be at this point still years before I'll update my motherboard and processor.