Oh good, today I am now getting 7fps max.

I don't want to be one of those people that harp on the technical things, but I guess I didn't have a beef when it was running mostly fine, but the last two days has been a disaster.

Murdoc, does restart help? The first time I played the game, the FPS suddenly sank to about 10 and stayed there. When I restarted the game, the FPS was back to normal.

I finally had a chance to play NMS and tend to find myself agreeing to some degree with the points made in the Matt Lees video.  This might not be necessarily appropriate, but I can't help but see the game's individual technical elements more so than as a game itself, and I think that is a product of the interconnectedness and depth, or lack thereof of the game's systems.  I don't mean to be dismissive of the technical achievements of the game here, for a team their size what Hello games did is impressive, but none of the actual underlying tech here is all that groundbreaking.  Random generation, specifically random generation of voxel terrain is a pretty well understood concept on computer science, as is swapping models on a rig, economic systems, and so on.  While none of the individual pieces are all that technically impressive on their own, the much larger criticism in my mind is how little they plug together  Planets have animals, but they don't nest, eat, hunt, defecate, etc.  I can discover things like planets and animals, but what about asteroid fields, rock formations, volcanoes, elements, compounds, plants, and so on.  When I see an animal on a planet, I can immediately sense that animal exists because of a random roll of elements, not because any thought was given to how an animal might evolve on this particular planet.  I am not getting much of any sense that this world is alive, the game's systems are an inch deep and a mile wide, each one not really being as fleshed out as you would expect them to be, and others being weirdly complex.  With each new thing I discover, whether it be animals, planets, trading ports, etc, I understand how the game has them on a technical level, but not really why the game has them on a design level.  I know it sounds like I'm being quite down on the game, but I am enjoying it quite a bit, and am interested in playing some more.  The survival aspects in particular I am really enjoying.

also, this gave me a chuckle.

Nah, no settings or restarting helps. It's a bit baffling, after the first update an hour or so after launch I was cooking at 60fps most of the time, a week later with whatever fixes they have done its best unplayable. I guess a lot of people are having problems, just weird how it did work for me then didn't.

That really sucks. :( Shame to see the trend of shipping broken ass games continue.

The game runs quite well for me now, and I didn't have particularly high expections of the gameplay itself, so I'm okay with exploring the empty yet paradoxically overcrowded universe at a leisurely pace. The UI is amazingly unfriendly, though. Please give me auto-stack option. Please let me stack trinkets. Please let me view multitool upgrade options even though all my upgrade slots are currently full. Please, for the love of god, give me a direct option to craft and use a bypass key instead of forcing me to go to the inventory, reorganize it to fit the item that stays there for all of 5 seconds, craft the item, exit the inventory, and interact with the object again.

I managed to buy a new ship with more inventory slots yesterday. The ship was fitted with quite many upgrades though, and I am now seriously considering whether I should remove those upgrades to make more room for the fucking Atlas stones that I apparently have to carry thoughout the rest of the game. I spent most of my money on that ship so now I will have to do some serious inventory optimization in order to haul enough money for the next ship purchase (which will probably be closer to 2 million credits because my current ship was around 800 000 credits). I'm not particularly looking forward to that.

I jokingly said that the reason the developers were so upset about the pre day-one patch streams, was that they show for the first time that you actually spend half of your time in the inventory. That was obviously not the reason they were upset, but I really do feel that the inventory shuffling is such a major part of each of my play sessions, that it seriously detracts from the sense of exploration. A couple of days ago I actually decided not to launch the game after work, because I remembered that I was on a cool planet that I wanted to explore further, but I would have had to do some serious inventory management before I could go on. That really sucks.

I discovered I was taking a major performance hit by running the game in a non-display-native resolution, in case that's at all helpful.

Yeah, I'll see what I can do tonight, I'm running pretty default settings, so it's so strange. I'll look up where my save game goes and maybe delete it and reinstall the thing to see if that refreshes it because I seem to be the only one that had awesome perf the first day (after their visual basic update) and have gotten slammed every since.

Despite all this, despite the repetitiveness, I really enjoy the game which is why it's a bit frustrating because I really want to get back into it. I save up over 2 mil and was on the look out for my mega ship so I can get all those slots!

My average performance is great, but as I've mentioned multiple times (mostly in slack), after playing for a while, t he game is guaranteed to just suddenly drop to <10fps and it's only recovered once for me out of like five times encountering the bug. 

It's such a bummer. ):

I think I finished the Atlas path tonight? Strange things happened, but not as strange as I'd hoped.

I haven't made it to the center of the galaxy yet. Maybe I'll become a double-god at that point?

Not that this is a story and no one really cares, but booted it up again today and I'm back at a solid 60fps... Random patches I guess because I didn't do a thing.

At least my next post will be about the game and not grumbling :)

Edit: back to dodgey frame rate today... This seems totally random occurrence now of when the game performs well.

ugh, the current version has a bug that sometimes causes enemy ships to get lost in space. The game still thinks they are close so you cannot use the boost or pulse drive. I got somewhat stranded 1+ hour away from any planet :/

I think my least favorite thing in NMS right now is having to rebuild all of my multi-tool tech upgrades every time I get a new multi-tool.  I've at least gotten smart enough to uninstall everything from my old multi-tool before switching, so that I have the materials on hand to port some of the upgrades over, but for the higher-level upgrades that require stuff like aquaspheres and radnox or whatever, it's still a drag.

Cheat Engine is making things so much better. Don't have to worry about having enough fuel for the launch thrusters, or having enough thamium for my pulse engine, or crafting warp cells, or gathering oxides to recharge exosuit components, or recharging life support systems, or having the materials to re-craft modules when I switch multitools/ships...

I just get to fly around the galaxy and try to find cool stuff.

Also infinite jetpack can get you into space:

post-8476-0-87350200-1471763246_thumb.jpg

post-8476-0-30901300-1471763247_thumb.jpg

post-8476-0-70874300-1471763247_thumb.jpg

post-8476-0-11938600-1471763248_thumb.jpg

... wait, so you can just install mods and go around discovering and naming everything without any of the survival stuff?

I'm not too bothered by that, but that still bums me out a bit. Sooner or later a big portion will have this installed and the entire galaxy will be discovered way faster than intended. :sad:

Doh!!

Every time I inspect a ship to buy it reminds me to move over my goods first.

So when I save up enough credits to get this giant boat of a ship I totally ignore it, but the ship, and loose out out there warp cores and my atlas stone... Freaking great.

Would it have been so hard to just automatically do this?

Now I have no idea what to do to get that damn stone back.

Edit:

Phewwww! I thought my old ship was gone for good but it's still docked and left as abandoned and I could swap my goods back to the new ship.

That was scary.

Hmm, the difficulty of getting a ship with more slots (either through grinding units or transmission towers) and getting the last few blueprints is starting to wear on me. I enjoy getting to new types of planets still, but most of the game just feels like farming at this point. I could probably just focus on getting to the end game but that also seems like a grind without much payoff. I might wait until the next content update in the hopes that they rebalance some of these things. 

Suit upgrades are more bang for your buck at a certain point, especially considering you don't get to sell your old ship. I think I'm in the last ship I'll ever buy, unless I come into a sudden flood of 6 million credits.

I have only 1 suit upgrade left. It still feels like I'm constantly low on space.

Weirdly enough, I put this game down for a few days, and I have no desire to pick it up again. I was super into it, but the thought of turning it on again just doesn't do anything for me.

It's kinda like an MMO. You play everyday because you have to do the dailies, the weeklies and if you miss out something will happen. Then you stop, and suddenly realise that it doesn't matter if you don't do it anymore. It was all just mindless busy work.

I finished the Altas path

Rather disappointing. I expected something more special. I only had 9 atlas stones, so I couldn't create a new star, but given this universe it wouldn't even matter.

This game is fulfilling the same hole in my brain that clickers fill. Progression systems that everyone points to as leading to nothing. I'm playing Tap Tycoon and NMS concurrently and am loving it. If you're in the mood for nihilistic, be-in-the-moment gameplay arcs...