*waves around copy of infinite jest* bro this thing was 15 bucks, has lasted me months, and I'm not even reading the side quests

I'm not surprised at people being shocked at the price, it's certainly higher than I was expecting, but Hello Games have the right to charge whatever they feel is appropriate for their own product, and turn a profit from their hard work. To try and calculate the value of that work based on lines of code or file size is possibly the silliest thing. It would be like valuing a song based on the number of instruments played, or a painting by how many strokes it took. 

Honestly I'm less worried by the price and more by the lack of details about the game itself. Although I haven't been following it very closely for a while.

Well, I preordered because 1) I think the game looks fun and 2) It amuses me to annoy price whiners by helping the game sell.

On price, I'm actually excited to see indie games believing that the deliver an experience worthy of the traditional AAA price.  Fuck, there are plenty of games that I paid $50-$60 for that have not brought me a fraction of the joy that a lot of $5-$15 indie games have. 

The RPS hands-on preview is an interesting read: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/03/no-mans-sky-preview/

Personally, I find a lot about which I could get excited, but a lot that also worries me. There's the reference to The Long Dark when talking about tuning the difficulty of the survival systems and there's the assertion that the procedural generation was weighed heavily towards producing "beautiful" outcomes... I don't know. This is most definitely a wait-and-see kind of game for me.

I haven't played The Long Dark yet, but this comparison made me sure I want to get this.

It's going to be wait-and-see for me as well -- though I'm generally optimistic.

It reminds me a bit of the leadup to The Witness, where I have pretty good faith that the devs have a good reason for asking this price and for being cagey about the full scope of the game. At this point I'm just waiting for the thumbs-up/thumbs-down from early reviews to confirm whether it hits its mark.

release ur balance sheet Hello Games or prepare 2 be pwned by the free market

Been playing a fair bit of Eidolon lately and it sounds like it has some interesting parallels to this game based on the RPS preview. Has me tentatively very excited. Little disappointed that they seem to be discouraging putting down roots on one planet. I was interested in the idea of making a home base planet to return to repeatedly after farther and farther explorations out from it. But the nomad lifestyle works well in Eidolon, so we'll see.

that link didn't work for me on a desktop browser, but it's up on their youtube channel

I'm kinda shocked that NMS hasn't been officially said to be part of the PSVR launch line up. Or even in VR at all. It seems like the perfect title for it. I'd sure wait for PSVR to launch and grab them both if that was indeed the case. 

Does VR even work with FPS games? Doesn't that make folks hurl everywhere?

Apparently the 3-d platformer for the Rift is very good, but first person makes the most sense for VR

Lucky's tale? I saw the trailer for that and it just looked like any other non-VR 3d platformer. Maybe there's something good in there, but they certainly don't show it off in the trailer.

Lucky's tale? I saw the trailer for that and it just looked like any other non-VR 3d platformer. Maybe there's something good in there, but they certainly don't show it off in the trailer.

I mean it doesnt seem to take advantage of VR very well, but it seems like a fine game

Coolest idea I've seen so far is technically first-person, but in practice more birds-eye view RTS style where you're walking around the map (this is done with Vive) and setting things up.

Implementation was kinda rubbish, but I love the concept.

Third person also seems to help alleviate nausea (so I've heard - only time I've suffered from nausea is when I broke a project I was working on such that the screen wasn't updating and hooooooooooly fuck let me tell you that is UNPLEASANT), as you always have that focal point of the character to follow. Kinda like when they put an artificial nose up in that biz.

Yeah there is the obvious analogue between first person and VR but honestly I think there is a lot of potential for neato 3rd person and birds eye view stuff. The idea of turn based 4x games where the presentation is like a polished 3D game board or even something like the skyrim map which is crappy and hard to use in 2D suddenly is like a functional landscape jewel box. I think there will be hoardes of VR games that play the same dumb tricks as 3D movies with crap flying in your face all the time but in my mind the best uses of it will be more subtle leveraging of depth to provide different depictions of scale that are pretty hard to represent in 2D. 

Yeah first person on-foot games do not work great with VR. Games where you're sitting in a cockpit or just walking around a small area(using the Vive's room-scale tracking) are fine, but the moment you need to push a button or thumbstick to walk, or worse: rotate, you're likely to have a bad time. Tho I did manage to play HL2 for close to an hour once before I got too nauseous to go on.

That's what I had heard, although I don't have any experience with it.

Apparently the PC version was delayed a couple of days :(

Steam still says the 9th, but the game website is saying the 12th.