Tempering expectations is one thing, but that's not what's happening. It's people screaming "this game is going to suck, nobody even knows what you do" over and over, louder and louder, in an effort to convince themselves or others, who knows.

But it's fucking annoying and I run into it everywhere I go.

Tempering expectations is one thing, but that's not what's happening. It's people screaming "this game is going to suck, nobody even knows what you do" over and over, louder and louder, in an effort to convince themselves or others, who knows.

Stop reading youtube comments. 

Well, at this point I am also expecting more of a Proteus than a Minecraft -- something you'll play for an evening or two rather than something that will capture the imagination of millions for years (although I'm sure nobody really expecteed this to be a next Minecraft anyway).

And I think the general dialing down of expectations is justified by the trailers that just keep showing the same things. Ok, this one showed combat, but that gives me more like a vibe of "oh, so they DID have to resort to combat to provide gameplay" e.g. they didn't really come up with any original gameplay to match the audiovisual and procedural appeal of the form.

Still, I think I will enjoy this for a few evenings, maybe even a week. And if it will be something more than that, well that's awesome!

Stop reading youtube comments. 

I'm not?

Where are you seeing this negativity then? I haven't seen any. It hasn't been present in the last four pages of this thread, and the only negative message about the game in the linked article was "The more I see of the game, the more shallow it feels, like an endless, inch-deep ocean, and the less I’m interested in it."

I've seen a lot of people saying "Don't get excited because nobody even knows what you do", but "Don't get excited" is a very different message than "This game is going to suck".

Basically.

Much more energy spent talking about how it's not going to live up to the hype than for any other game I've ever anticipated. Ridiculous and boring and at times irritating.

True. Still less energy than what's being spent hyping it, though.

You know, I'm with Twig on this one. I think at this point I've got a pretty good handle on what you do in the game based on what we've seen. It's 70s-style pulp sci-fi, so it looks to me like a travel game, like 80 Days, with some light space combat because it's a 70s style sci fi game so this is clearly necessary. I think the idea is to generate enough that just by virtue of the colliding systems, it'll generate the circumstances of a moment in pulp sci-fi.

Games going to be available for pre-order on PSN as of 3rd March. So game can't be too far out... Does the game even have a release date?

Anyway, other news, it's $60

I aint paying that for shit

yeah... I heard it's only 600.000 lines of code

Yeah, that's $1 for 10000 lines of code. I could download thousand times that for 1$ worth of internet from github.com.

This is the video game I have been dreaming of for the past ten years

Games going to be available for pre-order on PSN as of 3rd March. So game can't be too far out... Does the game even have a release date?

Anyway, other news, it's $60

Where did you see this?

it was on the US playstaion blog article about this weeks releases, but it has been quickly removed.

CcfmB1wWwAA3HAj.jpg

Yeah I'm not paying 60 bucks for anything less than a million lines of code

I'll buy it.

...I just remembered there was supposed to be some sort of substantial preview soon. Or maybe it already happened.

...Someone tell me what it is I'm thinking of thanks.

As odd and funny as it is to talk about lines of code, some points of reference, in school for CS we got an assignment to program tetris.  Myself and a few friends compared our (relatively) working assignments.

My program: ~2000 lines of code

Classmate 1: under 1000 lines of code

Classmate 2: 10,000+ lines of code

Well, at this point I am also expecting more of a Proteus than a Minecraft -- something you'll play for an evening or two rather than something that will capture the imagination of millions for years (although I'm sure nobody really expecteed this to be a next Minecraft anyway).

So far I haven't seen anything about this game that has significantly challenged my assumption that it's a 3d first-person Starbound.  You've got your matter manipulator, your resource collecting to upgrade the exploration range of your spaceship, your AI mobs with their own beefs and agendas that you can work with or against, your tons and tons of procedural worlds peppered with prefab set pieces intended to advance the story, and the entire mess being shared online with other players.

And that's cool! Starbound is a lot of fun, if at points unnecessarily difficult.

As odd and funny as it is to talk about lines of code, some points of reference, in school for CS we got an assignment to program tetris.  Myself and a few friends compared our (relatively) working assignments.

My program: ~2000 lines of code

Classmate 1: under 1000 lines of code

Classmate 2: 10,000+ lines of code

People who care about lines of code as a metric are hilarious to me. It's basically the worst way to measure performance. Fun fact: My net LoC at my actual job is negative.

People who care about lines of code as a metric are hilarious to me. It's basically the worst way to measure performance. Fun fact: My net LoC at my actual job is negative.

I love removing code. It's one of the most satisfying things to do.

Especially if it's my own code. Nothing feels better than cleaning up my own trash.

My LoC is quite high as I add luxuries like input validations, error handling, and logging

(And when I feel like being a complete jerk I'm adding AbstractMethodFactorySingletons everywhere. Just kidding, I never do that.)