They seem to have gone from "there's multiplayer, but you'll never encounter anyone" to "there's no multiplayer" back to "there's multiplayer but you'll never encounter anyone" again.  

They never said there was no multiplayer. They said there was no traditional multiplayer.

I imagine that as people get closer to the centre, the chances of encountering other players will be higher. Also, the systems themselves are rather compressed IIRC. It would be  pretty cool (if a bit annoying) to find people's names all over the planets you go to, then  trying to track them down.

Sony VR is set to come out some time in 2016. Perhaps No Man's Sky's delay is to add support and pump it up as a flagship VR app.

Wild unfounded speculation, of course.

This seems to be the speculation on most boards. In fact many have been saying they thought Sony pushed HGs to delay to June so this could be a VR launch title.

If the PlayStation VR marketing/development team are doing their job right... Yeah. Surely for the past couple of years Sony will have been approaching developers, dishing out vr dev kits or whatever.

They say they have 100 games in development, but they all appear to be demos or new IP's, nothing established. Sony need game like the Witness, Firewatch and No Man Sky to be VR ready launch day.

If No Mans Sky releases without vr support, Sony are fucking clowns. No ifs or butts about it. And with the witness and Firewatch releasing Jan and Feb respectively, they need to be in John blows ass, elbow deep, right now.

Clowns

Ass

Blow

I still don’t really understand how this game will play, and despite a slew of media appearances, the creators haven’t been able to explain that properly.

What I’ve taken away from things is that you will mostly be focused on collecting resources that will allow you to earn money, create fuel and travel further and further out into space. As you reach unexplored planets, you’ll get to name all the “new” plant and wildlife you find as well.

That sounds like precisely how it will play to me. Which granted, may be an unfulfilling experience for some, but if people think they still don't know how it will play, it feels like it's because they're expecting it to be something more than that. But I'm totally on board with just traipsing around looking at pastel dinosaurs.

Also "despite a slew of media appearances, the creators haven’t been able to explain that properly" really rubs me the wrong way. It's one thing if the developers have explicitly said "hey we're going to explain to you how this game plays," but if that isn't their stated intent, it's not an inability to explain, it's a conscious decision not to.

Tempering expectations is good but it's being disproportionately thrown on NMS cause it seems to have non traditional game play.

Tempering expectations is good but it's being disproportionately thrown on NMS cause it seems to have non traditional game play.

I mean, maybe, but what's a "proportionate" amount of tempered expectations for a game that promises to procedurally generate entire biospheres for a functionally unlimited number of planets? The lack of explanation for what gameplay will be is one thing that does not bother me, but what No Man's Sky does make positive statements upon seems like the moon, if I stop to think about them.

Unrestrained optimism for a game is as toxic as unrestrained cynicism, in my mind. Both encourage stupid, exploitative marketing and business models, and both lead good games to be damned for not being the thing that they were never meant to be.

Is it really that big of a blow when a thing that you have been looking forward to does not meet your expectations when it's finally released? I mean to an extent that you feel like you should consciously lower your expectations, or even force yourself to be cynical or wary of the developer or the product a year or so in advance?

The biggest problem I see is preordering the game based on the hype alone, only to realize that the game is broken and/or shitty, but that is easily avoided by not preordering games ever.

Are you sure it's the non-traditional gameplay? I didn't read the previous articles linked, but from what I've seen/read, it's more about how it's a small indie studio that is attempting something incredibly ambitious. 

They've made what? Joe Danger...and that's it. Now they're jumping in to making one of the most anticipated games of the decade. I'm really excited for NMS, but I think it's right to keep my expectations as low as possible because I don't want to be one of those people that is disappointed by everything they buy since it's not the game they imagined. 

It's something I've seen when people criticise a new game - "It's not X" "It doesn't have Y" are far too common. Responses like that wouldn't occur if people judged something on what it is rather than the image of what it is based off marketing and their imagination.

And are people really that down on non-traditional gameplay things? Minecraft is probably the most popular video game of all time.

@Gor I meant disproportionate to other games. Maybe my perceptions are off but a lot of buzz is apprehensive about this game where most other games get pretty uncritical responses until they can be properly played.

@griddelol I feel like that would be a valid reason. I don't have any particular backing to make me think it's specifically the non traditional game play, just that this game has a lot of hype and it almost matches a traditional archetype but doesn't quite.

Minecraft built its popularity post (sort of) release, it didn't gather hype based off the idea.

Oh yeah, I know mincraft build up in popularity over time, but my point was that non-traditional game play has been proven before (and by a small indie team) to be incredibly popular. 

We'll have to wait and see. I'm sure it'll be a great game, I just don't think it's going to be the game to end all others like many people are making it out to be. Although Hello Games are certainly not saying that, they seem pretty humble about it.

That's actually something I'm curious about. For an indie team, they sure are getting a lot of exposure. Weren't they on some late-night US shows with huge viewership or something? Is that their own publicity acumen driving it, or is it Sony pushing for the exposure?

There was an interesting segment on the Podquisition this week regarding No Man's Sky, and if true the release date could be considerably later than June next year. Laura Dale (Laura K Buzz) quoted anonymous sources, so a pinch of salt is necessary, :

- the game was due to show in a hands off demo at a UK event called games city, but they cancelled due to many technical issues

- the build shown at the Sony press conference for this year's E3 was running on pc, even though dual shock controller was used; at the time of that conference, it was not working for PS4

- there have been major problems getting it to even run on PS4, and optimising for PC

Laura Dale previously revealed the existence of an on-rails off shoot of Until Dawn; the developer denied that they were currently working on such a thing, then soon after unveiled Rush of Blood  themselves

Also,  the voiceover for the Paris Games Week trailer was apparently  taken from a movie, and is nothing to do with the game. It sounds initially like Roy Batty's speech, but is apparently the opening of some small film

It seems to me that Sony is really pushing this game, possibly to the detriment of Hello Games

Also,  the voiceover for the Paris Games Week trailer was apparently  taken from a movie, and is nothing to do with the game. It sounds initially like Roy Batty's speech, but is apparently the opening of some small film

It is Rutger Hauer though, and sounds like it was recorded for the trailer.

And hey, the new trailer shows a pack of Big Dogs so everything is great so far.