Seems like this has been getting a lot of press now that they're showing it at E3. Still no release date, though.

Still looks so fantastic, though! I can't wait.

I saw a tweet about bring disappointed to see combat in the game. I didn't look at any E3 stuff really but is that a thing that was revealed or did I misunderstand a joke tweet?

There's been ammo in the HUD since the game's first reveal, and there's been battling ships since, I think, the second trailer?

So yes there is combat.

Yeah, there's been combat before. This was *maybe* the first time they showed the player shooting on the ground of a planet?

Hh? I could've sworn that a lot of the previous chatter was hoping they don't introduce combat and wreck it. Maybe they were as ill informed as me/just hoping there wouldn't be a combat focus.

there was combat in the same vein as minecraft. Certainly would not consider it an FPS just like I wouldn't consider minecraft an FPS. If anything it's a space exploration sim.

It's not that I think it's now a super gamey FPS, but I think the introduction of combat changes the dynamic. It sounded like it was possible that this could just be an exploratory game, with maybe some crafting/resource management I could put up with.  But having combat as an integral system Changes how you interact with the world. You're no longer a careful observer. Even the most restrained game with combat ends up devaluing whatever you're fighting, which feels like the opposite intent of the game.

Having just watched the E3 demo I am a bit dummed that it does seem to involve shooty space combat and the 'fully destructible worlds' don't totally fill me with confidence but I'm hoping it's still a totally opt in or out type of experience.

Hh? I could've sworn that a lot of the previous chatter was hoping they don't introduce combat and wreck it. Maybe they were as ill informed as me/just hoping there wouldn't be a combat focus.

If there was chatter, it was definitely ill-informed.

First trailer:

Ammo in the upper right corner!

Oh, and it even has ship combat in this trailer, although the player never actually shoots at another ship, you just see it. He does shoot at an asteroid, though!

Weird. I think the Thumbs also discussed it as if combat wasn't confirmed. But I might have misunderstood them, or they might have been ill informed like me.

I think one of the many lessons from Minecraft is that having hostile enemies and something to kick you out the door brings a procedural landscape to life in a way just dropping you in a landscape doesn't. It gives the space context and meaning if it can be used for more than just looking at. Some people like to explore an endless landscape full of samey details, but they're only a subset of people who like exploring in games. If they can be persuaded to defend themselves, it opens the game up to a much larger audience.

(Now that I think about it, the photography in Beyond Good and Evil served a very similar purpose: the flora and fauna of that world were much more memorable because they weren't just background details. One of my concerns about No Man's Sky is that the procedurally generated flora and fauna are all going to become a little samey because they're unique to each world, so every time you go to a new world you find a bunch of new stuff and finding new life just becomes routine.)

It's good that we got to see a bit more NMS gameplay. I don't mean to be a buzzkill but there doesn't look to be enough 'meat' in the gameplay loop in the fact each individual system seems quite barebones, e.g. the gunplay, the ship combat, resource gathering. In saying that, I know it's too early to tell because the game is still in development and I haven't seen everything etc etc.

I guess the last thing I want is for NMS to end up a similar way like Spore, where there were a lot of systems in place, but none of them had much depth. To elaborate further, the concept for Spore is rad (just like NMS) but the combination of all the systems (e.g. race creation, evolution, ship creation in Spore) amounted to nothing substantial. That or maybe I'm just overly harsh and pessimistic :P

As far as I'm concerned, the only real worry is the planets looking too samey. If they can successfully avoid that, then the game will be everything I want.

I just had to tell someone about this, and Idle Thumbs seems like the right crowd.

No Man's Sky had an appearance on this American late-night TV show.

I've seen games pop up on these things before, if it's the Nintendo Wii or the Occulus Rift... but watching this game be explained to an audience was so bizarre. It's just strange, it's like watching The Black-Eyed Peas get on stage and play Magic The Gathering against each other.

By the end of the segment, I actually felt like that was the smallest, weakest showing of the game I've ever seen.

Well he confirmed that there is actually real multiplayer with other human beings which I feel like he hasn't done before?

Seems like the typical "show a game to a bunch of non-gamers" sorta deal, though. Actually didn't even feel that weird to me.

Every time I see it, I want to play it. Every time I see it I think it's going to be bullshit and a huge disappointment because nothing could be that cool without some weird monkey paw wish situation.

ive just read a rumour that this game could be coming out THIS WEEK!

Release date to be announced tomorrow night at the Paris Sony conference

They'd be clever to get it out a couple months before Christmas for the console sales, a no mans sky console bundle? yeah maybe?

That would be exciting! This game could make a great chillout game, with very appealing and varied visuals. I wasn't as rabidly excited as many people were when it was announced (partly because I was busy ambassadoring in the Elite Dangerous booth at E3 :P). If it were in any way realistic, most of the planets would be very bland and empty (hello elite dangerous season 1 :P), but the NMS universe is more fantastical, which I like. No matter how it has turned out, I want to support Hello Games.

I don't want to sound like I think that's what's going to happen, but he does have a knack for genial specificity.

That would be classic Murray.

Not sure that PlayStation's new buddy Call of Duty would be very happy with that sort of immediacy though. Date (or charmingly vague window) at PlayStation Experience 2015 (December 5-6)?

This game smacks of needing a online beta to me (Although I don't actually know how involved the online aspect of this game is). Maybe it'll be a surprise beta announcement launching this week on PSN for everyone