This is the video game I have been dreaming of for the past ten years

They're in Guildford, that about an hours commute away. I should cancel my whole life and go work for them. I wonder if any of my email marketing skills will translate in to game design :)

http://www.hellogames.org/jobs/

I've watched the trailer. I've watched the interview. And yet I have no idea what this game is.

If the game's developer can't explain what the hell it is, I have no hopes of it being completed. Or if it is completed, for it being anything other than a pile of pretentious goo.

I watched both the trailer and the interview and I am so excited for this game, I'm guessing its just exploration, but a bit of combat in there too?

I'm getting a minecraft vibe from it.

Visually, it reminds me of the new Everquest stuff too; I guess that's'ts because it might be based on the same voxel tech? 

No idea, I'll have to read up on it, neat little trailer though, could be interesting. I 'm guessing from the title card at the start you explore and lay claim to places by naming them? 

Seems neat even if it just turns out to be a experiment.

Reminds me a lot of Space Engine. Except they are also building out some sort of MMO on top of it or...something. It wasn't really clear if they themselves have figured all of that part out yet. Regardless, it's certainly ambitious for a team of four guys, so good luck to them...I'd certainly love for it to turn out well.

I've watched the trailer. I've watched the interview. And yet I have no idea what this game is.

If the game's developer can't explain what the hell it is, I have no hopes of it being completed. Or if it is completed, for it being anything other than a pile of pretentious goo.

I'm guessing its just exploration, but a bit of combat in there too?

Yeah, in a procedurally-generated universe, that seemed pretty clear to me. I'm not sure how you didn't get that, Thorn, or why you not getting it means the game either won't be completed or will be pretentious!

Yeah, in a procedurally-generated universe, that seemed pretty clear to me. I'm not sure how you didn't get that, Thorn, or why you not getting it means the game either won't be completed or will be pretentious!

'A bit of combat and a bit of exploration' is not a good explanation of gameplay. He talked something about it being online, but I don't know whether I'll be playing against other humans or the computer. I don't know to what extent the world is persistent. I don't know what the hell I'll be doing. The trailer showed pretty landscapes, but I got no sense of the gameplay from it.

I think it'll be pretentious because in the interview he was incredibly vague whilst also talking like it was completely revolutionary. I don't think it can live up to that hype.

Also, bear in mind that 'A bit of combat and a bit of exploration in a procedurally-generated universe where every star is real and can be visited' is a pretty solid description of Spore. And we all know how that turned out.

Pretentious is such a stupid fucking word. All it really means is "this game tries to do something I personally don't give a fuck about." Never use it again.

I know its harsh to say, but I don't have much faith in the dev to live up to such an ambitious concept. With that said, I will never hope against an indie dev ^.^

Pretentious is such a stupid fucking word. All it really means is "this game tries to do something I personally don't give a fuck about." Never use it again.

I disagree. I love space exploration games.

'Pretentious' really means 'I think my work is greater than the sum of its parts but can't prove it.

I think it's just very early in development, they'd been struggling with a host openly insulting the show, long haul flights seem to beat the shit out of Sean going by other times I've seen him interviewed or met him, and the interviewers were asking some dumb questions like "Is there anything this game doesn't have?"

Wow, this is literally the first we've seen of the game. 'A bit of combat and exploration' and discovering locations on a planet and naming them (as evidenced in the trailer) is about as much information you'd get on any game when they're first revealed.

Maybe hold out on the 'vapourware' and 'pretentious' tags until the developers actually explain a bit more about the game in, say, a developer commented gameplay video??

Fantastic trailer, it really captures the imagination. Can I say I'd be happy with just a Proteus experience, but then with flying around on space ships and exploring oceans and skies and lakes?

Meeeee too Rodi.

If the game delivers on nothing more than letting me explore planets like that, it'll be more than enough for me. Only thing I'm really concerned about on that front is the procedural generation of the wildlife (assuming there is some (I sure hope there is!)).

Also also one of my favorite details in that video is how the ships warp in at ~1:15. SO GOOD.

Oh also here's a youtube version because Gametrailers is utter garbage.

Well, there's at least one big huge wildlife demonstration in that video.. The giant sand worm!

Agreed, if it's only a Proteus like experience of exploring these planets I'd be a happy camper. Throw in some X-Wing/Tie Fighter-esque dogfighting and I'm just extra happy, to be honest. From just what's shown in the trailer this seems like something I'd be super excited to play.

It'll be interesting to know how much of an online experience this is. From the trailer, it seems each player at least tags each new discovery with their name. No idea how much player interaction extends beyond that, and the rest is just AI NPCs. For a four man team a full-on MMO might seem a bit overkill. But the interview suggests it'll still be one big, persistent world we'll explore together in some way.

This is very exciting!

Wow, this is literally the first we've seen of the game. 'A bit of combat and exploration' and discovering locations on a planet and naming them (as evidenced in the trailer) is about as much information you'd get on any game when they're first revealed.

Maybe hold out on the 'vapourware' and 'pretentious' tags until the developers actually explain a bit more about the game in, say, a developer commented gameplay video??

*shrug*

He had five minutes to talk about the game (well... actually a bit less because of Joel McHale's inane questions) and all we know about it is 'combat and exploration'. I've seen two minute pre-rendered trailers that told me more than that.

Who knows? Maybe the game will live up to his hype and actually be amazing. But I think they fumbled this reveal and remain unconvinced for now.

wow didn't think I would be berated for saying something I thought the trailer depicted, for all we know there could be a story, trading or even design/building elements.

Edit: Sorry! I just read Ben X's post wrong :getmecoat

When I watched the trailer, my first question was "Is the design of those banner-poles procedurally generated?" I doubt it, but the appeal for me when procedural generation is mentioned in regards to alien worlds is that I might land on a planet to discover something truly alien.

Wasn't there a discussion a while back on the podcast (maybe it was another podcast) where they were talking about how cool procedurally generated ecosystems would be because you would walk into them blind and have to figure out what eats what before it eats you.

Watching the trailer back I think the UI looks really slick. 

Also when the star fighters are flying through the asteroid field and one shoots through a asteroid, I wonder how much will be destructible.

how cool procedurally generated ecosystems would be because you would walk into them blind and have to figure out what eats what before it eats you.

In theory that's cool, but particularly with procedural tech, I think a lot of designers would struggle to make something that didn't either telegraph it (Huge! Teeth!) or fill with annoying gotchas (Haha! Poisonous!).

That trailer looked great! I wonder if this is gonna end up on Early Access and if they'll be iterating on it over time. If there's enough structure there, I'd definitely be up for that!