Stuart

The Official Video Game Music Corner

With all the recent talk of Shovel Knight, I thought it might be worthwhile to point out that it has an incredible soundtrack by chiptune genius Jake Kaufman:

There are some really great boss themes in the Dark Souls 2 add-ons.

Also, seriously, more people should play Lethal League. It's awesome.

You know, I'm going to throw some more in here...

... Since Lovely Planet is kind of wonderful.

... And this, because i've had Smash 4's new menu theme stuck in my head for weeks.

Ah man, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. This fucking game's soundtrack, you guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJHQkuqRAAc

I just got done with this level, which contrary to to whoever recorded this video took me about 10,000 tries. But holy shit, I just had to call out the way the music dynamically changes throughout, and culminates with a segment that surely tugs at the nostalgia strings of any DKC1 fan. It's about a minute in that things get hot.

That's another thing I like, actually: unlike the comparatively sledgehammer approach of Returns which just remixed everything, the Tropical Freeze soundtrack works in countless musical references to the old games while primarily focusing on an individual and beautiful new assortment of themes and styles that easily matches the quality of the originals. It feels like a true successor to the original soundtracks rather than a cheap fan remix project.

Here's another level with outstanding musical progression, although more of a Monkey Island iMuse approach than the previous level's shifting between different tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OgaRcYwKtg

I'm probably going to have to do a proper list of this game's best levels in terms of musicality once I finish the game, because so far I'm just over halfway through and the music is impressing me with its beauty and perfect integration into levels at every turn. It's almost crazy how much high-quality music this game has; there's virtually no reuse of music between levels, with each being a unique standalone piece that in many cases you don't even hear the entirety of.

Damn it, my Wii U pad ran out of juice. So I thought I'd post a few more of those fine, fine DKC:TF levels:

Incidentally, this game looks outstanding on a big screen at 60 FPS. I'm on my iPad so maybe it's a compression thing, but these videos definitely don't do how wonderfully crisp and vibrant this game looks on a big TV justice. I honestly think it looks as good if not better compare to the original games' pre-rendered visuals in many cases (pretending they were high-res). Anyway, MUSIC.

Enthused by David Wise's wonderful DKC: Tropical Returns soundtrack, I decided to see what else he's been up to. The answer is, sadly, not very much. But he did do the soundtrack for an iOS game called Tengami last year, which is a charming highly atmospheric blend of traditional Japanese notes and electronica.

The whole soundtrack is on Spotify and YouTube, but here are some of my favourites:

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate's

features some pretty great music, but these i enjoy these two in particular:

, serving as the triumphant theme for one of the game's major setpiece fights, is also pretty rousing and great.

I just finished playing through Monkey Island 2 Special Edition and holy shit this is an amazing rendition of the song from Rum Roger's Cottage.

What's your favourite track?

Really enjoyed your cover. I don't like it when covers try to get as close as possible to the original music. Yours was recognisably shovel knight, but there was plenty different about it to make it stand out

well with a banjo i'm never gonna be too close to the original sound really :D :D but I do try to stick closely to the original arangement .
it's gotta be my favourite track on the album I must say.

It's a good one. I'm very partial to Plague Knight and Treasure Knight themes, but like you said, it's all good

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts has some awesome prog rock-esque music:

In stereo for maximum greatness; make sure you listen with headphones.

We just finished the Tiny Tina DLC for Borderlands 2 last night. I really like the music for the main town area. Also, the Tiny Tina DLC was really good. My apologies if this was already posted somewhere.

Chrono Trigger Zeal time. No matter what arrangement you hear this is just one of the best songs in all of video games (and oops! guess I posted the original version earlier on in this thread already. Oh Well!):

Screw it. Just doing two posts so I can embed this one too:

And oh man, BanjoGuyOllie never posted his Zeal theme cover here so I'm gonna just add his too as it's really awesome:

This one's a bit different, the intro to Rocksmith. I think it sets the tone really well for the "game"; I've been learning guitar for just over 18 months now. I love the way the tune starts off really simple, but ends up pretty badass, reflecting how the game starts off with you playing only a few notes in a song, but eventually do the whole thing.

Heh, I just found out that Rocksmith 2014 includes it as a reward for finishing all the missions... I might have to give that a go :P!