Sign in to follow this  
melmer

I need a little help regarding my buttocks

If money is a serious issue then look at something like Gumtree for a second-hand one. IKEA sofas dismatle pretty cleanly for the most part, so it'll be fine if taken care of. Often people just want furniture gone for reasons of convenience (moving in with partner, getting a new sofa, etc) so you can get some splendid pickings.

You can also get replacement covers and cushions for most IKEA sofas, so you could get a slightly more knackered used one and spruce it up. Obviously this isn't going to be so worthwhile with the budget end, but if you can get a high-mana sofa for cheap then the hassle is probably OK.

Yeah, if money is a premium don't buy new. I've gotten really great couches for free because people just don't want the hassle of getting rid of them.

That'd be great and all except as I said I have no form of transportation for the furniture, and I am pretty sure it'll be damn near impossible to find someone who would be willing to sell me cheap AND transport it to my apartment.

Follow my lead of renting apartments until you get one where the previous tenant couldn't be bothered to get their couch down three flights of stairs and just left it behind.

Haha. I've been that person before but never been on the receiving end!

Do you have a driver's license/can you drive? If so, you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and rent a truck for minutes/hours at a relatively low cost. It'd certainly be cheaper than Ikea's delivery fee, which is something like $150 if memory serves.

If you can't drive, then I guess your options would be super limited.

Even a cheap moving guy could be cheaper than IKEA's delivery fee if it's that much. You can get one to do a single trip for one item for like £50 or less round here if you look around.

Peripherally related question:

I've got Steam streaming set up to my living room TV. I don't play anything particularly hardcore, but some games (e.g. Adventures) need mouse input. What do you recommend as a couch-based input device? I've considered thumbstick-as-mouse, standalone touchpad, or trackball. My gut feeling is that I'd like a nice big trackball, but a quick google didn't show up any wireless models that would sit comfortably on my lap or next to me on the couch.

Your thoughts? Any models you recommend?

That'd be great and all except as I said I have no form of transportation for the furniture, and I am pretty sure it'll be damn near impossible to find someone who would be willing to sell me cheap AND transport it to my apartment.

I bought my bed off of ebay, and the guy delivered it for £10 extra. Also on gumtree I bought a sofa turned up and argued the nice lady down by a good 20% meaning the delivery guy I paid for was essentially free. 

At least in the UK "man with a van" services are pretty common and really cheap. 

Peripherally related question:

I've got Steam streaming set up to my living room TV. I don't play anything particularly hardcore, but some games (e.g. Adventures) need mouse input. What do you recommend as a couch-based input device? I've considered thumbstick-as-mouse, standalone touchpad, or trackball. My gut feeling is that I'd like a nice big trackball, but a quick google didn't show up any wireless models that would sit comfortably on my lap or next to me on the couch.

Your thoughts? Any models you recommend?

Honestly this is a question with no answer, so many crummy options out there. Here is hoping the stream controller is actually great. For now I just a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Yeah, lack of good couch PC control options is literally the one thing stopping me from having a gaming PC in my living room. I did it before and virtually never used it because it was such a pain in the ass compared to using a wonderful game pad.

The thing is that there are a fair few nice looking trackballs out there, but they're all wired. :(