Sign in to follow this  
melmer

I need a little help regarding my buttocks

GAMING CHAIRS: A chair in which to game

So these past couple of years i've sat on a bean bag, always meant as a stop gap until i found a nice chair. And as the bag has lost half of it beans in this time, these days i'm literally sat crossed legged on the floor.

Its a small room and I don't have a huge amount of space to play with... but at the same time nothing else is really going in the room other than a TV and a chair

post-27841-0-50261400-1376740256_thumb.jpg

For a long time i've considered getting one of these swivel chairs, which will look nice. BUT, 99% of the time the lights are off so really should focus less on looks and more on maximum comfort, which has led me to look at some of those "gamer chairs"

leon_swivel_seat_blue_pp_2_1.jpg

vs

31SiSVUwkUL.jpg

I don't really want to be too high off the ground as my tv stand isn't particularly high and actually i spend most of my time perched on the edge with my face one foot away from the screen anyway. Immersive

So, what do y'all park your derriere on? Has anyone got one of these gamer chairs? Any good?

Also, please post pictures of your bum, thanks.

The house I'm currently in has one of those gaming chairs. It's comfortable at first, but I find it mildly uncomfortable after more than half an hour. If I were buying a chair for non-PC gaming, I'd probably go for a big armchair instead.

My cousin has one of those "gamer chairs". It loses its comfort fast, and I find it very hard to get out of afterwards....

i hear "sumos" are good, they're essential gigantic beanbags and they look super comfy. or you could play games standing up to improve your posture!!!!!!

My cousin has one of those "gamer chairs". It loses its comfort fast, and I find it very hard to get out of afterwards....

That, too. Also, this one feels like the wooden frame inside is starting to give; it flexes in a way that it feels like it's probably not supposed to.

i hear "sumos" are good, they're essential gigantic beanbags and they look super comfy. or you could play games standing up to improve your posture!!!!!!

I've also had a bunch of giant beanbags. It probably varies, but I found I either become uncomfortable after a while, or I fall asleep. No inbetween :)

Something with good lower back support.  My couch is getting a little worn out, and if I slouch for a couple of hours in it gaming, my back is killing me when stand up.   Something like that Leon swivel chair looks like it could do the same to your back if you slouched in it.

As far as I can tell, 'gaming chairs' are for suckers. They're expensive, and for the price you get a chair that isn't that comfortable and has a bunch of gimmicks built in you probably won't use, like embedded speakers.

Do you have room in your setup and also budget for a nice, one-person armchair? You might have to Riker into it but it'll last you decades.

Personally, I'd assume any "gaming" furniture is garbage. My recommendation is to go to some furniture stores and try things out. Also furniture is generally one of those things where you get what you pay for, so don't cheap out on it. Considering how many hours you'll spend on the thing it'll be worth it to get something good.

Wow, what a fantastic response! I thank you from the bottom of my colon

So, "Gamer Chairs" are OUT! Realistically i don't think i could've gone through with it, they are kinda gross.

Desk chairs... not so much, i don't want to feel like i'm at work when i'm grinding away in a jrpg

Hilariously the Kneeling chair would probably be a good fit, but guests might think it was some kinky sex chair (i keep them hidden away in the attic ;) )

I do have quite a lot of space to play with so i think a one-person armchair is the way to go. Budget isn't really a concern. I need to go to a furniture shops and try out some chairs, the low back on the mc-swivel up there could be a concern.

Hast thou not visited the holy GAF thread of Gaming Setups? The acceptable recommended seating solution can only be either EAMES LOUNGE CHAIR or HERMAN MILLER EMBODY

a-ball-pool.jpg

EAMES LOUNGE CHAIR

SOLD

Hopefully i can find it for somewhere for a little cheaper.

I was thinking i'd need a puff as i do like to have my legs up when i'm lounging. Also when can just perch myself on the puff when i'm mashing away on my fightstick

LOVES IT

lol, just doing a google shop search it ranges from around £450 - £7000, i pity the fool who paid top dollar

Ooooooo that's really annoying, there seems to be lots of sneaky replicas and "inspired by" Eames loungers, I'm going to have to do my research to make sure I get a legit one

God even that one I linked to is a reproduction

Ah it appears that official one made be a company called Vitra are around £4000 :-/ I'll have to find myself a decent imitation

I think Vitra handles European manufacturing for Herman Miller, who are the original fabricators of Eames' designs. I've read that the Vitra version can be more expensive. HM has been making them for like 50 years so used is always an option.

Man, going from a half-empty sack of marbles to the Greatest Chair Ever Designed has got to induce some massive culture shock on your hindquarters.

Now you've got me lusting for a chair and my budget is practically nil. Was looking at this Eames-inspired thing... probably not the most comfortable thing in the whole world, but man does it look cool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eames-Plywood-Lounge-Chair-Reproduction-NEW-COLORS-AVAIL-/321181945565?pt=US_Chairs&var=&hash=item4ac7ef8edd

I mean, it's molded in the same fashion so I imagine it's going to beat the heck out of a sub-$100 office chair or my cheap futon in terms of comfort. Get some upholstery up on it and I'm sure it'd be very comfy.

Speaking from experience, an expensive chair is usually worth it, since they last forever and the inexpensive ones last maybe two years.

(I'm sitting in a cheap chair that's probably gonna' fall apart sooner rather than later)

I know you said you're not interested in an office chair, but for anyone else who might be looking, I've been super happy with my executive big and tall office chair. From Office Depot. I'm not technically big and tall, but the extra sturdiness of the frame and extra padding has really been nice. The only problem is that I barely touch the floor with the char enitrely down, and it certainly doesn't fit under my desk.

I think this is pretty close to the model I have. Of course, each chair is going to feel different to each person, so my advice is simply to try the heavy-duty chairs and maybe you'll find one you love.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/618027/True-Innovations-Big-Tall-Heavy-Duty/

Speaking from experience, an expensive chair is usually worth it, since they last forever and the inexpensive ones last maybe two years.

(I'm sitting in a cheap chair that's probably gonna' fall apart sooner rather than later)

The only problem is that the price doesn't scale linearly with furniture by any metrics I can perceive. In other words, a $4000 Eames chair is unlikely to last 40 times longer than a $100 chair or 4 times longer than a $1000 chair. A $500 couch from Ikea could easily last as long and be just as comfortable as a $1000 couch from your local furniture store.

I guess the hidden metrics are probably "style", which I'm super bad at detecting and even worse at valuing.

There's also "acceptable" comfort and "luxurious" comfort to consider. I was on an older boxspring for a long time and if asked I would have called that comfortable. Now that I've gotten a nice pillow top, that's a completely different scale of comfort.

Man I don't know how people sit in leather chairs for extended periods of time. They don't breathe and they get all hot and sticky if the weather is warmer than freezing.