I played Howling Dogs for the first time last night. It's notable that I would not have been receptive to it had I not been exposed to her symbolically rich, distilled concentrate word-style; not because Howling Dogs has a lot of it, but because Howling Dogs seems to take place in a world that is imagined by it.

My favorite part of Howling Dogs was

the empress. The martyr themes created a foundation for a nice tonal climax there. The ritualistic imagery found so much relevance in that dream-thing, that it bled back into the prisoner-framework, its repeation, the altar-centric fetishism of the space, the required routine, and the assumed circumstances of the player-character.

At times Howling Dogs felt like an unintentional amalgumation of adjective-heavy scenarios; I wonder if additional play-throughs will make me think differently. But either way, the empress scene was so dense with tone, that the game became pleasurable for me.

After I finished, my mind linked portions of the story non-chalantly and left me with the impression that I had just imbibed an allegory. Whether or not there was a message did not affect my favor, I was just pleased to have gotten such strong, unique tone from a short text adventure. But again, my receptiveness may have been conditional to the foundation that her tweets and her other games had layed down beforehand.

I have no comment on the subject of this thread as I have no idea who Porpentine even is.

It's like this weird bar food made with french fries and cheese curds. Canadians love it.

:getmecoat

I was actually having a conversation last night about whether or not there are inherent masculine facial-features and inherent feminine-facial features. I suspect that there are not. I think that what I think of feminine facial features is the result of photoshopped ads and creepily selective casting.

That said, I would hate for either Nick Breckon's or Porpentine's feelings to get hurt by reducing their identities with each other. I'm not convinced that this is happening here, but I think it's a valid concern. During the interview of Porpentine, Jonathan Holmes asked her off-handedly if she was "The Lady Gaga of games" and Porpentine said that she didn't like to be compared to other people because she is Porpentine.

I was at a wedding once and a bunch of people got excited that I look just like someone else at the wedding. They wanted us to stand beside each other for a picture. It was kinda weird because we didn't think we looked like each other, but we didn't really take offense and everyone else seemed to be excited. I'm glad they took the picture because I think it's interesting that people think we look the same and i can look at it and feel the dissonance.

I wonder if this is related to twins being mistaken for each other.

There are, the main two are the jawline and brow, though the brow is the main one. It's extended over the eyes far more for men than for women.

The bigger mystery of this thread, for me, is trying to figure out what the Danny DeVito tag is referring to.

i do not really see the resemblance!

however, i have also never met a pair of purportedly identical twins who i thought looked sufficiently alike to confuse them

twin thing: still an option

Porpentine just put out a graphical exploration game called "Pink Zone".

https://gumroad.com/porpentine

If you read her tweets regularly, I recommend playing this just so you can tour a bestiary of her anthropomorphic idioms (I don't have specific ones in mind). If you don't read her tweets regularly, then it'll probably look like a sci-fi cave-painting with minimal interaction and no apparent objective.