Erkki

Essential PS3 exclusives

Since the forum doesn't allow searching for "PS3", I'm creating a new thread :ph34r: My PS3 was at my parent's house for a long time so I haven't used it a lot. But now I set up my projector and are ready for some console gaming again. What are the essential PS3 games I can't play on PC? (I also don't have a working Xbox 360 at the moment so just console exclusives are ok to recommend too).

I've played all the Uncharteds, am playing Last of Us, and have RDR: Zombie Expansion, ICO/SotC, echochrome, Stacking, Journey, Flower.

Any interesting indie game exclusives I've missed?

[edit] Oh, I've also played Heavy Rain and don't care much about shooters (such as Killzone, Resistance or whatnot). Also I didn't like the first or second God of War much, so 3 is probably not for me either.

I love the Infamous games, despite falling into the shooter category. I really think of them more as traversal/exploration games in the vein of Assassin's Creed.

If you don't skip the Killzone/Resistance train entirely, I'd recommend Resistance 3. Gave me some really nice Half-Life vibes.

Demon's Souls if you liked Dark Souls.

Indie games... I liked Super Stardust HD quite a bit, falls into that category of Geometry Wars or simultaneously manic/precise evolutions of Asteroids. Heard good things about Tokyo Jungle, despite not playing it myself. Also in the category of games I haven't played but heard good things about, Heavenly Sword

If you have any interest in JRPGs, PS3's the best platform for Final Fantasy XIII. Also in JRPGs (and probably more accessible, enjoyable ones at that), Ni No Kuni is fantastic. Love that Studio Ghibli art style and aesthetic sensibility.

Racing games... I love Wipeout HD, that is absolutely worth your time. Modnation Racers is a fun kart racer in the vein of Mario Kart, and Motorstorm is alright if you like offroad/arcadey racing. Of course, there's also Gran Turismo 5.

That's about all I can think of, on top of what the others have said.

Been trying out some demos. The process is really annoying on the PS3 with installs being modal and taking several minutes. I hope the PS4 will do this better.

WRC4 looks like it could be fun, but I'm shit at it and I haven't really played any Rally games since Colin McRae 2. Also it's on PC as well. I'll also try Motorstorm (Apocalypse) and Modnation Racers, and GT5, Wipeout HD.

Unfinished Swan any good?

Unfinished Swan is pretty good unless you get obsessed about getting all the collectables. Then it's dumb (because there are levels where the game pushes you forward if you try to tarry).

I'd also recommend the Pixeljunk stuff, in particular Eden, but one of the shooters is probably worth checking out if you have someone to play couch coop with.

I played a ton of Fat Princess back in the day, but I have no idea if the servers are still even up (or if they are, whether you can find a game). It's kinda like a capture the flag RTS except you're only controlling an individual unit. There's single player (which is just vs. bots) and it's fine, but it's way better online.

if you're almost out of games YAKUZA 4 is like 5 different and very long, and usually fun games in 1. Part dating sim, fishing sim, dojo management, and really deep Virtua Fighter brawler, with the voice talent of every Japanese gangster film. 

Seconding Valkyria Chronicles. It's Anime WWI X-Com, kinda.

Actually, more like Fire Emblem, as the characters are written and not generated, but there's turn-based, tactical shooting, so the gameplay revolves a lot around cover, using the right classes for the right tasks, loading equipments, and stuff like this. The visual aesthetic and art direction is really crisp and nice.

I bought Motorstorm Apocalypse (demo looked cool in 3D), Enslaved (decided to get PS3 version instead of PC) and Demon's Souls. I guess I'm set for a while. I did try the Fat Princess demo a while ago, it was not bad, maybe I'll get it at some point. ModNation Racers looked cool too, and I might even enjoy Beyond Two Souls based on the demo.

Are the PS3 Way of the Samurai games any good? I remember enjoying the original on PS2.

Oh yeah, forgot you were into 3D. Motorstorm Apocalypse was the bundled game with the PlayStation-branded 120ghz Sony monitor and 3D glasses meant specifically for gaming. So naturally, it's a good title for 3D play.

I really disliked the way the battle system in Valkyria Chronicles moved. I recall moving characters around in real time while they where restricted by action points and then having enemies shoot my characters basically in real time apparently not bound by the same system. I won't go as far as to say the design is bad or undesirable cause LOTS of people like this game a lot. But it certainly felt unfair and unenjoyable to me. I may not be remembering the battle system with perfect clarity but I do recall it operating in some mix or turns/real time that really disagreed with me. 

I was cool with Valkyria Chronicles until the level where you have to fight a giant tank. It was a situation where I understood intellectually what I needed to do, but there were so many points where it was possible to screw up the fight and lose, and it is a long mission, and you would have to start over from the beginning. So I gave up on it at that point, and that mission will live on in my mind as what not to do if you're a developer making a tactics game.

...Persona 5.

:eyebrow:

To second a few recommendations, Wipeout HD + Fury might have been my most-played console game of the past gen, even just for Eliminator Mode, and Journey might have been my most beloved game of the generation.

3D Dot Game Heroes is a fun Zelda clone/parody that's super challenging and fun!

I also love the Ratchet & Clank series and the Sly Cooper series. If you have a move controller, get the House of the Dead games (except the new one) and the Timi Crisis collection that comes with the cheesetacular Deadstorm Pirates.

Should we mention any PSOne or PS2 game that are available on the PS3? If you bother to get a Japanese account and a Japanese PSN card you can get some hidden gems like SIlhouette Mirage.

Oh, I second the Tokyo Jungle game, it's insane and insanely fun!

I'd give Folklore a try even though it can get a little bit grindy (way less so if you are not the kind that need 100%). If you are going to attempt the Infamous games, I'd say start with 2 to get a taste of it, because I feel like the first game was kind of mediocre while 2 was great. Festival of Blood is even better. I'd recommend Ratchet and Clank only if you already like Ratchet and Clank.

I think some of the HD collections tend to be PS3 exclusive if you missed on any of those games.

Ah, on the note of HD collections I literally just bought a copy of Zone of the Enders: HD Collection because I loved the first one so much on PS2 and hadn't played the second one.

I've been enjoying the shit out of MotorStorm: Apocalypse and Heavenly Sword! Will try some of the other recommendations soon. I also found the demo of Super Stardust HD to be a very promising 3D game, but not sure if the full game holds up.

Oh, I also joined PS+ and am installing some of the free games, but WTF, 1h+ to install a 12GB game (after download!)

[edit] I guess it was downloading the other stuff while installing, the later installs went faster.

If you like Horror games, Siren is very good. As a person who also got a PS3 recently for JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: All Star Battle, I also picked up the MGS legacy collection, which is every MGS game, and Dragon's Crown, which is a good hack 'n' slash game, even if it does have ridiculous art.

I second Deamon Souls, Ni No Kuni and Valkrya Chronicles, as well as Resonance of Fate. I can't vouch for Resonance's story, but the battle system is enjoyable if not a bit fiddly at the beginning, and feels like it could have some real depth to it.

If you like fighting games, may I also suggest Blazblue? It's good fun, easy to play, and the story is quite good! As well as Tekken 6.

Finally, diving into the back catalouge of games on the PSN store, Um Jammer Lammy and Tombi/Tomba (depending on region) are still awesome fun games to play!

If you're on PSN+, check out Guacamelee and Dyad, which whilst both on the PC, are free for PSN+ members this month.

I really disliked the way the battle system in Valkyria Chronicles moved. I recall moving characters around in real time while they where restricted by action points and then having enemies shoot my characters basically in real time apparently not bound by the same system. I won't go as far as to say the design is bad or undesirable cause LOTS of people like this game a lot. But it certainly felt unfair and unenjoyable to me. I may not be remembering the battle system with perfect clarity but I do recall it operating in some mix or turns/real time that really disagreed with me. 

I'm with you. That game had a lot going for it, but it ultimately lost me on the most important facet, the combat.

Shit, Tokyo Jungle! Play that game! One of my favourites of last year.

I had completely forgot about that game.  I need to try it out.