tegan

Lego is Still Cool

But... my wallet...

I have been thinking a lot about buying either Mindstorm or that LEGO train that my mom never bought me when I was a kid.

Gah, it's frustating that new stuff comes out over there before here, even though we're so close to Denmark and a Danish toy chain is the biggest retailer.

By the way, I went through my Lego chest from my childhood, and grabbed some minifigs for my shelf:

20140716_153211.jpg

Hell yeah. I couldn't find her original helmet, sadly.

Her sword was one of the first chrome pieces. You could collect a full set of armor from the other sets:

a207920128c421f50d3183_m.JPG

Oh man are we talking about LEGO? I worked at a LEGO store for a year and boy do I have some story's

Are they about how the Legos come to life at night and assemble into amazing contraptions and go on adventures? Because I've known that since I was like five years old.

I finally got a goddamn wizard.

Wrx7gjd.jpg

The back of his cape is covered in silver stars and moons.

Oh man are we talking about LEGO? I worked at a LEGO store for a year and boy do I have some story's

Enquiring minds want to know.

I want that wizard so much. And the goth. And basically everyone of the new minifig series. 

And yes, I also want Lego store stories.

I want that wizard so much. And the goth. And basically everyone of the new minifig series. 

And yes, I also want Lego store stories.

I have the goth! She's hanging out on my desk next to Dracula "Lord Vampyre" and a coffin.

Somehow, the only one from the new series I didn't like is in fact "The Gamer".

41lZi8GwqzL._SY355_.jpg

Wouldn't mind getting him just for the controller, though.

I have at least four thumb drives intricately wrapped around my body in chains attached to my wallet so I can't lose things.

I don't know about you guys, but I only feel comfortable these days when I'm wearing the pants that I had custom made out of interwoven thumb drives.

LEGO Store story #1: man came in and asked if it was ok if he could buy some stuff to donate through charity, I of course told him it was ok. He then spent and hour walking around the store giving while I followed him with a pad of paper writing down everything he wanted. He ended up spending ten thousand dollars on lego. I had to take a cab filled with LEGO to the children's hospital to help him bring it in.

LEGO store story #2: A little girl had just turned four and wanted the biggest Duplo set but her parents couldn't afford it, she only wanted it for the mini figure of the girl in it. So I opened one of the damaged sets we had in the back and gave her the mini figure as a birthday present and she was so happy that she was in tears and hugged me as hard as she could.

Is that a thumb drive hanging on his pants?  Is that really a gaming thing?

Isn't that why the podcast is called "Idle Thumbs" ?

LEGO Store story #1: man came in and asked if it was ok if he could buy some stuff to donate through charity, I of course told him it was ok. He then spent and hour walking around the store giving while I followed him with a pad of paper writing down everything he wanted. He ended up spending ten thousand dollars on lego. I had to take a cab filled with LEGO to the children's hospital to help him bring it in.

LEGO store story #2: A little girl had just turned four and wanted the biggest Duplo set but her parents couldn't afford it, she only wanted it for the mini figure of the girl in it. So I opened one of the damaged sets we had in the back and gave her the mini figure as a birthday present and she was so happy that she was in tears and hugged me as hard as she could.

Both of those are awesome.  If you have more keep going!

Somehow, the only one from the new series I didn't like is in fact "The Gamer".

Wouldn't mind getting him just for the controller, though.

Most of my childhood was spent justifying to my parents why I needed to buy a $30 set just because I wanted the cool 5 mm knife piece it came with.

Which is the spoiled brat version of Grayson's second story.

I don't know about you guys, but I only feel comfortable these days when I'm wearing the pants that I had custom made out of interwoven thumb drives.

It's the modern day chainmail bikini.

Those are indeed both awesome!

LEGO story #3: I was running a tournament for something called " Chime Speedorz", they are kinda like bey blades but you race them. So I was trying to wrangle some kids for this tourny and there was this one family that would always sign up, except the youngest sibling who was five. I finally convinced her to take part in the tourny but there was this fourteen year old kid who showed up and was kinda acting like a prick about his knowledge of chima and his speedorz skills. He kept interrupting me when I was trying to explain the rules to pitch his fan fiction, he was the worst. Anyways after some weird races and some upset kids the grand final ended up being the fourteen year old and the five year old. Since she was five I gave her some help, I let her pull the chord that spins the wheel to make the thing go and since I was pretty good at the speedorz after playing with them for eight hours a day for a month the five year old ended up winning. The other kid lost his mind and walked around the store kick shelves and swearing, I kinda felt bad for him.

LEGO story #4: When the LEGO Movie came out the company paid for us to all go see it together as well as have a fancy dinner, but for the whole month of the movies release "Everything is awesome" played every fifteen minutes all day every day. It played so often that my brain started interpreting it as white noise and sometimes I literally couldn't hear it anymore. 

Excellent stories! I don't buy Lego very often, but I will always love it. The other day I got this. It was a really fun and creative build, I had a blast.

Cy68mSgl.jpg

I saw that set for the first time today; I like that Lego are starting to include women minifigs who don't all wear ridiculous make up.

I got the Ecto-1 set today, but haven't got time to build it until the weekend.