tegan

Lego is Still Cool

Time for Lego with Teg-O.

So I know it's kind of dumb, but I'm still a big fan of Lego. It's one of those rare toys that actually becomes much better as an adult when you's better at figuring out things like aesthetics and engineering. Last night before bed I suddenly thought of a hip joint that would let me make bigger, better, more stable robots, and this morning I put it into practice on a base frame.

DKpbGHw.pngV3JR8v7.png

So far so good! I'm gonna' need more joints and I have no idea how I'm going to flesh it out (probably gonna' need to buy a whole bunch more plates, so I might make my first-ever Lego bulk order once I figure out what I'm gonna' do with it). One thing I thought of too is that now that I'm building a bigger robot, I finally have the space to make more articulate hands. Again I built up a quick framework as a test run.

DQqlzxL.png

XCnRvaj.png

t2omcQk.png

SxxmNyT.png

The fingers can't quite flex as far apart as human fingers can, and each is missing one phalange for space-saving reasons, but the thumb is fully opposable and each finger has a fairly wide range of motion. Unfortunately it may be too big for this particular model. Oh well. I may be able to truncate it down into something more manageable, and if not it was still a good experiment.

Today I'm gonna' be doing a toy store run to see if I can get my hands on some older sets with parts I'd like at a discount, plus I know that Chapters is having a 20% off thing right now, because Chapters sells Lego for some reason. Wish me luck!

Holy moley. That is some fine Lego work.

I haven't pulled out my Legos in ages... I really want to now. Sadly they are all at the other end of the province at my mother's house.

Teg, I feel you need an additional set of joints under the feet to make the legs really stable. Now the feet rest awkwardly on a flat surface, a simple ball-joint would do.

Last month I bought some pretty big boxes again. Just yesterday Lego had a good couple of deals and I bought the modular building sets of the Pet Shop and the Town Hall. Earlier I got two Kingdoms Joust sets and Arkham Asylum. I just really, really love building sets. It's much rarer that I feel the need to experiment and build my own. Lego is diverse enough to appease all sorts of fans!

Teg, I feel you need an additional set of joints under the feet to make the legs really stable. Now the feet rest awkwardly on a flat surface, a simple ball-joint would do.

I know. This is just a test of the hips and torso so far.Those are just placeholders so I could see how it look standing up. The actual feet are gonna' be a lot more complex.

ROBOT UPDATE:

bought some new Lego on sale today, including one of those big Hero Factory style Chima sets with high-friction ball socket extenders, which I'm using for the shoulders. I've added a ton of plates to flesh it out and get a general feel for the anatomy and construction. Unfortunately I can't find more than one red 4x4 curve or a full set of eight 3x1 curved slopes in any colour in my collection right now, so just pretend it's partially unpainted or something. I still might change colouring around in places too, and I need to tighten up the front a little so it doesn't have a massive robocrotch.

Also, it's affixed to a stand here by temporary feet just so I can show off its range of motion. I'm still thinking about how to do the final feet, though I'm starting to get some ideas. Right now you can see how the legs bendand how the chest will actually pivot around the stomach by about 30 degrees in each direction.

ACoj9mH.pngTy61kzq.png

That's some awesome stuff, Teg. Lego is cool, but I don't really play with it anymore. I have a friend who's super into it though.

CHECK OUT THESE SWEET NEW SHOES

They're only held in place by a single ball joint, which I'm not so comfortable with. I'm going to try to build the area around the ankle extra-sturdy and maybe pick up another set of those friction cups. The toe and heel both have a surprisingly high degree of freedom, though.

QOIowNV.png3RXjdU1.png

Update before bedtime!

99yCiND.png

Honestly I'm not liking the leg sculpting do far. I might redo that all later. I'm running out of pieces to make the arms, toe. I need more ball and socket components and more 2x1 bricks with axle holes in them. Those things are the cornerstone of this stupid robot. A couple of new features:

hoN1QMI.png

ROBODONG

lpZnINM.png

Thought I'd give it a little chest insignia for flavour.

Also, in case anyone's looking for a better sense of scale, right now the robot's about 30cm/12in tall. And I still haven't even started the head, sooooo...

Why do you always get to be the head? I wanna be the head.

Tegan, that's bad ass. I made some more advanced Mindstorm robots in my youth, but nothing on this scale.

In the last year or so I've been wanting to start collecting minifigs, now that they've made licensed Lego from all the stuff I grew up with, like Marvel and TMNT. But I still don't have the budget to justify buying those little sets to primarily get one figure a piece. But the places I've looked online that resells them are also prohibitively expensive. Hot scoops on where to get them are appreciated.

I've been using a service called Pleygo, which is a Netflix style thing for Lego kits. So you pay a flat monthly rate for one kit at a time. It's pretty cool, but they don't have a ton of the huge huge kits (star destroyer, death star, etc.). But it's still pretty fun.

I have a cool referral link if anyone wants to try it: http://www.pleygo.com/invite/dougtabacco

The worst part is that the site 100% assumes you'll be ordering for a little kid. Put your real age in the kit search form and be sad.

(And, because it was my first thought, they do wash the bricks)

I got really excited about putting together some custom minifigs as presents for family and friends but wow are there a lot of parts :P

And finding the right ones seems pretty daunting.

So the robot's coming along nicely (I'll take pictures in the morning when I have better light), but I'm becoming concerned about the weight. I'm thinking of adding a simple pneumatic piston setup to the shoulders so that the entire weight load's not resting on a single high-friction ball and socket joint, plus I feel that I ought to get a whole buttload of high-friction socket extenders for the ankles and hips. Worried that might add too much bulk tothe hips, but it's better than having the whole thing collapse under its own weight.

I did revamp and shrink down the hand, though, and completed the skeleton and some dummy plating for the forearm.

Right now I'm at the upper limits of what I can do without putting in a Bricklink order, but I guess I can still do the head/cockpit. Wheeee.

So the robot's coming along nicely (I'll take pictures in the morning when I have better light), but I'm becoming concerned about the weight. I'm thinking of adding a simple pneumatic piston setup to the shoulders

This ends with you building an actual robot, doesn't it? Godspeed!

ROBOOOOT

4IFTDeo.pngLQe2rbg.png

ROBOOOOOT

oBqOkvA.pngWsO4Em2.png

ROBOOOOOOOOOT

eLlHdDx.png

The last shot should give you some idea of how the elbow works. It's super sturdy since it's using four ball joints with restricted mobility (two to swivel the bicep area and two to hinge at the elbow) to support relatively little weight. It hinges really far, too. It has almost as much freedom as a real arm.If I can solve the shoulder weight problem it should be all good. the new hand doesn't have quite as much freedom as te onld one (partisularly the thumb, which is now a series of hinges instead of a ball joint), but it's significantly more compact now and I like how it tuned out.

So last night and this morning I decided to make awesome little cars!

ktNBm9L.jpg

Driver McFastington and his trusty mechanic in front of his slick yellow racing machine. He can actually get in, though you have to swing the roof up and remove a few part temporarily. I'd like to make the mechanism a little bit smoother but I'd need a weird-angled brick to make it work. This was my first real, proper, wheeled car build since I was maybe eight, so I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. It's even in scale with modern minifig-scale City vehicles made by Lego themselves.

G5tMX0n.jpg

oOJU001.jpg

1Ist4tO.jpg

Pelsipv.jpg

nKGcQDj.jpg

Next is Dirty Dick Dastardly and his parole officer next to the Murdermobile, with non-regulation spiked front and rear bumpers and deployable kneecappers in all four wheels. I'm really pleased with how the cockpit on this one opens up. Other small details: it has bars on the front instead of a windshield and the rear wheels are exactly 1/3 of a brick shorter than the front, which gives the whole thing a slightly sloped, more intimidating look that I really like. There's one part in the wrong colour, but it's barely noticeable, and I'd like to replace the rear axle pieces with something slightly less wobbly. Overall I really like the result.

4bYjsSZ.jpg

bdqAUnh.jpg

XuXIX0e.jpg

Skg1JoR.jpg

So that was fun! Maybe I'll make more later.

VROOM!