melmer

Persona 5 - 2015 the year of the PS3 / Persona Q - 3DS

TMS#fe (surprisingly not awful title, once you get used to it) was a really nice, slick JRPG with exactly the sort of UI and aesthetic design that I think oozes 'Persona'. Though it absolutely plays up anime tropes, it's actually pretty novel in how it digs into Japan's idol culture. The Western version of the game is also a lot less creepy, as they cut out some gratuitous (and rather boring) onsen scenes and exchanged bikini outfits (again: fun in theory, really boring in practice) for actual fashionable, interesting clothing.

Definitely worth looking into, and it's 100% centered around Tokyo's media landscape - Shibuya, Harajuku and various tv-stations and theaters.

I'm about 55 hours in now, and still enjoying P5 a great deal. I'm level 35, and there's Persona I know of that are a good 30 levels higher, so I've clearly a long way to go!

While there have been some pretty uncomfortable scenes, there are alsostrong, powerful female figures, which I am glad to see. I have enjoyed getting to know the cast more than I thought I might, and care a great deal about them. Rather than any kind of min maxing, I'm just playing how I feel, and have had no real trouble clearing the palaces... the most recent one I cleared with well over 2 weeks spare. As the game progresses, more of tokyo opens up, and many of the places are places I went to during my time in Japan.

It's making me feel like I should give P4 Golden another shot, either picking up where I left off, or starting again, and I bought P3 but haven't played it yet... I am a bit worried that they will feel like more of the same but less polished

(Screenshots from fourth dungeon)

vT92kPH.thumb.jpg.fecedc990a4810cb23d393ba5e6bc3e5.jpg

v6jjtVk.thumb.jpg.3cecedf853597ce675672078ff3fe5be.jpg

Occasionally Yusuke says stuff like this and it slays me.