melmer

Persona 5 - 2015 the year of the PS3 / Persona Q - 3DS

Since Persona Q is in the title, I have to say that the new permanently discounted European eShop price 19.99€ is really tempting. Anyone here at Thumbs forum have the 3DS game and care to give some reviews about it? I'll check this thread from the beginning for sure.

Also the last year mentioned SMT/FE crossover game Tokyo Mirage Sessions is coming out in a few weeks for Wii U, got the limited edition preordered already ages ago!

I played most of it. i think it's worth picking up for the discounted price, as it's got an interesting combat system and some fun light puzzle solving. It's pretty light on story, just as a heads up. it's still pretty fun though.

I found the writing in it super bland and a massive step down from the prior games to be honest. The other Persona games are hardly Shakespeare mind but Q is still a step down. The new lady they add in that game is maybe one of the most shallow characters I have ever seen. It has its flaws on the gamplay front as well but it's a great intro to that kind of dungeon crawling and it's a solid buy at that price.

Anyone want to watch nine minutes of sizzle real footage taken off of a screen at E3? Well here you go!:

Looks like they're folding some more of mainline SMT back into the combat by having the shadows be Persona's and bringing demon conversation back into it. I like it so far.

Also there's a butt dungeon?

I wonder how bad the PS3 version will be, and I wonder how much of the story will be ruined by the Japan release.

On 9/12/2016 at 1:53 PM, Dewar said:

I wonder how bad the PS3 version will be, and I wonder how much of the story will be ruined by the Japan release.

I still wonder this, I have a preoroder for the ps3 copy but I'm a little nervous. 

I did a little digging into the games PS4 Pro support (There isn't any right now as far as I can tell) and it sounds like this is very much a port from the PS3 to the PS4 and that it shows in spots on the PS4 so I'm guessing it's fine. I haven't seen any real complaints and most of it's Japanese audience would have likely played it on the PS3 so I wouldn't worry too much.

Some of the background text on buildings and posters is distractingly low-res but that's the only obvious hint to its PS3 lineage I've noticed in the opening hours. It dazzles with style though, so it could be running at 15fps pushing N64esque character models around and I wouldn't notice or care. This will be old news no doubt if you've been following it and watching videos etc but I went in dark and I'm just consistently wowed by the dumbest shit, like the strutting after a battle or how much of a delight it is to scroll through the item menu. This does though make it all the more heartbreaking they've disabled the Share button entirely after the opening 10 minutes of play.

On 4/1/2017 at 4:09 AM, Yasawas said:

Some of the background text on buildings and posters is distractingly low-res but that's the only obvious hint to its PS3 lineage I've noticed in the opening hours. It dazzles with style though, so it could be running at 15fps pushing N64esque character models around and I wouldn't notice or care. This will be old news no doubt if you've been following it and watching videos etc but I went in dark and I'm just consistently wowed by the dumbest shit, like the strutting after a battle or how much of a delight it is to scroll through the item menu. This does though make it all the more heartbreaking they've disabled the Share button entirely after the opening 10 minutes of play.

I watched a bit og the Giantbomb quicklook and man, that game definitely as style!

Hope Amazon actually ships me my copy, still pending, boo. 

1 hour ago, YoThatLimp said:

I watched a bit og the Giantbomb quicklook and man, that game definitely as style!

Hope Amazon actually ships me my copy, still pending, boo. 

I watched the GB quick look and I was massively put off by how much everyone is a dick to your character, a boy who saves a woman from assault, because you got in trouble for saving a woman from assault. I guess they were all very stylish assholes. Jeff and Vinny both seemed wildly put off from it as well, but at the end went "YEAH I'M INTO THIS!" in a way I very much was not. Is anyone else feeling this way?

22 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

I watched the GB quick look and I was massively put off by how much everyone is a dick to your character, a boy who saves a woman from assault, because you got in trouble for saving a woman from assault. I guess they were all very stylish assholes. Jeff and Vinny both seemed wildly put off from it as well, but at the end went "YEAH I'M INTO THIS!" in a way I very much was not. Is anyone else feeling this way?

Yeah, I wonder if its explained in more detail later on, I would assume  its one of those "he paid off the cops to hide the real story" things - but yeah the tone of that stuff felt a bit weird. 

I think it's not quite clear how much people know about what actually happened other than "you assaulted a guy who was arguing with a woman" right off the bat. I presume that will become clearer later on and I'm hoping the game makes it clear enough that it thinks you did the right thing. 

I'm about 12h in and just finished the first dungeon. The disconnect between the way the themes are presented (also the themes themselves) and the way Ann is portrayed is the main thing that is bothering me. Then again, no surprises there.

Other than that, it's quite literally Persona 4, but better. No more randomly generated main dungeons, more interesting boss fights, a huge number of small quality of life improvements, bigger, better, more beautiful. I still have some problems with it, some small, some significant, but overall I'm enjoying every minute of it.

The issues with this game show such a complete unwillingness to change on the devs part that I'm kinda thinking that as much as I am enjoying this game it might be the last Persona I buy full price on launch. It's really undermining itself a lot here.

7 hours ago, ratamero said:

I'm about 12h in and just finished the first dungeon. The disconnect between the way the themes are presented (also the themes themselves) and the way Ann is portrayed is the main thing that is bothering me. Then again, no surprises there.

Yeah I just got to the bit with Ann and her persona and when I saw it, and her battle costume, and then a minute later she said "he just views women as sexual objects" and another character said "is that how you talk to a woman?" and the dissonance nearly vibrated my skull clean off. I remember feeling this way about previous Persona games (which I have only watched and not played before 5), that the themes of hidden identities and secrets being explored through these fantastical contrivances was really interesting, but that the game still repeatedly dives into very retrograde identity politics. I don't know how much of this to put down to Japan's conservative culture, but either way it results in some fuckin' weird moments.

"Addressing the story and scenario of Persona 3 in relation to later games, Hashino says: "With the way that game's world worked, it was okay for the protagonist to be female. With Persona 4, though, we needed the character to come from a big city to a small country town to be the driving force of the story, and it seemed more natural for a male character to fulfill that role. There are story aspects to this decision, as well.""

From the directer of P5.

So I'm up to the second dungeon and uh

Spoiler

The deadline for the second dungeon is Ann being black mailed into posing nude for a painting that she very clearly doesn't want to do and it is all played for laughs. WTF

I've been playing this for quite a while now, and I'm into July. I spent 2 months in Japan as part of my PhD (from the end of June to the end of August), and this game reminds me so much of my time there... rainy season, those bloody cicadas, fireworks festivals, and (unfortunately) the attitude towards women. I had a really uncomfortable conversation regarding the above when I thought I was asking the person in question if they weren't confident that we would get the job done in time, but the actual context was very different!

I have mostly been playing on my Vita via  Remote Link, because this is where Persona lives in my brain (my first exposure was Persona 4 Golden). Thanks to the bold, fairly simplistic art style, it looks gorgeous on the Vita too. Each Palace that I have been into has been imaginative, and introduced new concepts which add to the game play well

I picked this up this last weekend. It was kind of a gamble for me: I've always wanted to like Persona games more than I actually do. I'm a fan of the high school social sim part of the games, but then the dungeon crawling, historically, turns me all the way off. 

So, FWIW, Persona 5 is the first in the series that I've managed to get into. And most of that just comes down to the dungeon crawl sections being much more playable, imo. They look good and they feel constructed rather than arbitrary.

And then the parts I've always enjoyed – being a precocious teen choosing how to spend his free time after school – are still good. Even the obligatory prolonged JRPG windup period that I often struggle with wasn't so bad. It was what, only ~4 hours before they took off the training wheels and let me make my own choices? That's well below average.

Of course, all I *really* want to do is hang out in Shibuya; I am a total sucker for any game with an explorable Shibuya area. I'd say P5 only very barely qualifies in this regard, since it only lets you walk part-way down the central pedestrian street (although I appreciate the surprisingly big chunk of the Station they modeled!). I know exploring is not really what these games are about, but the idea of JRPGing around a simulacrum of Shibuya's Don Quijote (in this game 'Rosinante') is intoxicating.

I've only just finished the first palace. I don't disagree that the gender politics of the game aren't amazing. 

Is it really now?? Well shit, I guess I should've payed attention.

I know basically nothing about that game, but my crude impressions of it were that it was an embarrassing sort of cute-girl-anime game. Probably unfair.

it depends on who you ask and what you mean by cute-girl-anime game. I got half way through the second dungeon and was so creeped out by the constant pandering to the otaku market that I quit playing and I've played through at least 3/4 of every other SMT and Fire Emblem game released in the US. Others would disagree though.

47 minutes ago, Vulpes Absurda said:

constant pandering to the otaku market

⬆️  this is more or less what I was afraid of.

But still, walking around decent facsimiles of real-world Tokyo neighborhoods is most of what I want out of any anime game. So it's on my radar now